Grips please?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've had Kuryakyn ISO grips on my last two FJR's and love them. I have big hands, and the grips have the perfect diameter for my hands. Very little vibration, also, with the bar end weights. Also, I think they look pretty good.

I'd like a set of the BMW grips, but don't really have much of a problem with my 10 year old stock ones with some (Daystar?) grip heaters underneath.

OTOH, I also have a set of the Oxford's "Heaterz" (originals not the sport bike style) on my Vstrom and those are both nice and tactile rubber outside and slightly larger in diameter than the stock FJR grips, not to mention that the heat output is much better than the under-grip heaters.

These (On clearance for $50 and you get heat and controller included!)

OF693__24531_zoom.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the BMW grips on the FJR and like them. I have the ProGrips on my Honda 919 and like those too...
unsure.png

I'd like a set of the BMW grips, but don't really have much of a problem with my 10 year old stock ones with some (Daystar?) grip heaters underneath.
OTOH, I also have a set of the Oxford's "Heaterz" (originals not the sport bike style) on my Vstrom and those are both nice and tactile rubber outside and slightly larger in diameter than the stock FJR grips, not to mention that the heat output is much better than the under-grip heaters.

These (On clearance for $50 and you get heat and controller included!)

OF693__24531_zoom.jpg
Fred, do you know if this would fit our bikes? i checked the website and it says nothing about what bar size it meets.

i have called them, and they said it will fit the 7/8" handle bar and is the same length as stock....the only diff is that the newer ones have a touring version, 5 setting and off where the old was 4 setting and off, and it does have the 10.6 volt auto shut off where the new does...

Fred, do you know if this would fit our bikes? i checked the website and it says nothing about what bar size it meets.
Sorry for the non-responsiveness. Been a tad busy with that 4 letter word thing... (w%*k!)

Looks like mavrik answered the question. I'll just add that the 4 step old controller was/is adequate. I'm generally either at 1 or 2 with winter gloves w/ thin palms made for heated grips (First Gear TPG Glaciers). And the old 4 stage controller does have an auto off at low voltage feature to prevent you from killing your battery.

I've got mine wired to a fuzeblock with the jumper set to give "ignition switched" power, to help prevent battery run-down. When you cycle power to the controller it does come back on with the ignition but defaults to the lowest heating position.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just posting FYI...

Stock heated grips with grip puppies. New set of puppies every year. And yes, the heated grips work just fine with the grip puppies.
^^^This would be my set-up IF the previous owner of my FJR had not insulated the left handlebar and made it 1" diameter under the heater.

My solution was to install these (BikeMaster):

41DqxVEyTjL._SP160,160,0,T_.jpg

(I had to remove the sleeve that adapts one of the pair to 7/8" dia. bar)

...then these (Grab On) on top of them.

41QVwm7o0ML._AA160_.jpg

The BikeMaster foam grips are pretty soft, so the effective diameter when compressed/gripped is wayyy too small. The grip covers fixed that. I just used compressed air and a rubber tip to blow them onto the bar. No glue. No hairspary. No water. No problem.

The previous owner had installed the BMW comfort grips (yes, the left grip felt "fat" as he had jammed it onto the 1" diameter insulated bar). They felt great but they are too short for my hands.

We'll see how long these last. At that price, I hardly care.

J