• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to FJRForum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Grounding Harness

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Satisfied customer here too.... found all the spiders including the two extra under the tank, all are greased. I would suggest putting in enough grease to fill the cavities, including the back. My spiders were in good shape but the front left one in the engine bay was showing signs of corrosion starting. Up by the signal light was OK but you could see the signal light connector had definitely seen water and corroded, so I greased that up too. Bit of a job up top if you have a shelf and Baker Air Wings, since it's so much to take apart and reassemble, but not awful. It was good to get in there again and see that all is OK.

I was running out of gas (not enough sleep the night before and the coffee maker is broken), but then I realized all I had to do was eat the two Tootsie Rolls that came with the harness. Brodie thought of everything!! Thanks, sir!

Brodie,

I need a grounding harness from you. This is Showstopper. Just let me know how. Thanks

[SIZE=12pt]Here it is [/SIZE]

My answer to the melting grounding shunt issue that has been plaguing the owners of Yamaha's second generation FJR 1300...
IMG_1905_2.jpg

For those of you who don't have the time to read the dozens of pages on this subject , here is the condensed version of the issue...

Yamaha upped the alternator output on the 2nd gen. bikes in 2006. They also introduced a new method of tying all the black (return) wires together on the way back to the battery negative terminal. They used a 6 pin Sumitomo MT connector that is open to the environment. When the bike is new all the connections are fresh and have minimal resistance to the current flowing through them. In order to keep cost down they engineered the smallest gage wires to do the job. The largest wire that the connector is rated at is 1.0 [SIZE=8pt]mm2[/SIZE] (16 gage). My opinion is that the wire is large enough to work, but the connectors are the weak link. As the bike ages the pins oxidize thereby adding more resistance to the current. When this resistance builds it causes heat. With heat brings more resistance, and so on. Left unchecked, this is a recipe for a classic thermal runaway condition (see picture below). If all they had to do was handle 1 or 2 components, there would be no issue. However, these spyders are connected in series; the ones closest to the battery channels all the current on 1 skinny pin. It's typically that one, and the next one upstream from it on the fairing sub-harness that have a history of failure.

My Grounding Harness takes the place of the forked shorting bars (aka ground spyders). It provides a second path of 10 gauge (thick) copper wire back to battery negative terminal for all 6 grounding shunts on the bike's wiring harness.

Thats 6 groups of 6 wires attached to the 10 gage wire. The whole idea is to keep this from happening...

Burnt.jpg

Several weeks back I built my first "proof of concept" Grounding Harness on my '06 AE model FJR.

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?s=&showtopic=126635&view=findpost&p=712671

Prototype Grounding Harness
https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?s=&showtopic=126635&view=findpost&p=712671
Since then I built and installed 3 more, one on Don Carver's '06A, one on Roy Epperson's '07A, and one on my buddy Brian's 08A. All went in smoothly and have no reports of ground loop issues. The radio reception on my bike has not been impacted.

What's involved is removal of the fuel tank, T bar, and heat shield. Removal of all 4 dash panels. Removal of the left side cover (by your ankle), and removal of the left inner fairing panel (behind the turn signal, next to the radiator/horn). Then you locate and remove the 6 grounding spyders (the ones with the all black wires) and attach my harness to them. My harness also attaches to the battery negative terminal. The other 2 spyders are serviced with dielectric grease (provided) reassembeled and tucked out of harm's way. It's not a difficult job if you are handy with some basic tools. The job will take about 2 hours if you keep at it. The 2 "Spider Nests" above the headlight sockets are the trickiest to get to. I am providing instructions on my personal website on how to install it.

I am tooled up and am in production now. As of today I have 18 Grounding Harnesses ready to ship. My price is $90.00 plus shipping - UPS Ground, unless otherwise specified.

This following is the waiting list gleaned from my Prototype Grounding Harness thread. I will send PM's to each in order as Grounding Harnesses become available. This PM will direct you to my personal website where you will make the PayPal transaction.

VERY IMPORTANT... Please include your FJRForum name in the comment area on the PayPal order page. I need to keep this list up to date.
As of 8/29/2010

1. Sent     FJR Flyer
  2. PM sent     Joe2Lmaker     Deferred until later
  3. Installed     dcarver
  4. Installed     Roy Epperson
  5. Installed     FJRONAMISSION
  6. Sent     JetDoc
  7. Sent     petey
  8. Sent     FJR919
  9. Sent     OK Red
  10. Sent     Larry33319
  11. Sent     AuburnFJR
  12. Sent     WRichStrom
  13. Sent     nwrider1
  14. PM sent     johnny80s     Deferred until later
  15. PM sent     majicmaker   Deferred until later
  16. Sent     steve
  17. Sent     Good2Go
  18. Sent     turbodave 98
  19. Sent     doug5551
  20. PM sent     mr.paul         Deferred until later
  21. Sent     Nosecone
  22. PM sent     clubber        
  23. Sent     FJRRider08
  24. Sent     ahchiu
  25. Sent     blackarrow
  26. PM sent     Mikeysduck   Deferred until later
  27. Sent     Cavy
  28. Sent     Beacher
  29. Sent     Panman
  30. Sent     Alex
  31. Sent     Carl Stark, IBA #339
  32. Sent     ShinyPartsUp
  33. Sent     Beamer Reamer
  34. Sent     Dragonchef
  35. Sent     Boostn
  36. Sent     BwanaDik
  37. Sent     Hudson
  38. Sent     Rushes
  39. Sent     phroenips - 1st one
  40. Sent     phroenips - 2nd one
  41. Sent     rfulcher
  42. Sent     recreate
  43. Sent     Topspeed
  44. Sent     Wes Nile
  45. Sent     Greb
  46. Sent     1stFJR
  47. Sent     reddog
  48. Sent     canucklehead-biker
  49. Sent     Ian Stephens
  50. Sent     HaulinAshe - 1st one
  51. PM Sent     HaulinAshe - 2nd one     Deferred until later
  52. Sent     HJHFJR
  53. Sent     BILL
  54. Sent     bikesniffer
  55. Sent     GL4435
  56. Sent      fossil
  57. Sent     William42
  58. Sent     1911
  59. Sent     Diavalos
  60. PM sent     Jeff Q     Deferred until later
  61. Installed     Yamalude
  62. Sent     Hayduke
  63. PM sent     mdisher     Deferred until later
  64. Sent      CRMH Eagle
  65. Installed     Old Michael
  66. Decided not to buy     TheZsdad
  67. Sent     c-zulu
  68. Sent     Solo
  69. Sent     spinblue
  70. Sent     RavFJR
  71. Decided not to buy     VanHarlan
  72. Sent     shiloh
  73. PM sent     skifrik
  74. Sent     Bigbeavk
  75. Sent     rockmurf
  76. Sent     HelzBelz
  77. Sent     jpcfjr
  78. PM sent     Donal
  79. Sent     Yzerman19
  80. Decided not to buy     noire
  81. PM sent     ridgerunner88
  82. Sent     yamafitter
  83. Sent     Jogle
  84. wpbfjr from FJR Riders Forum
  85. Powerman
  86. 08FJRSteve
  87. gsozz
  88. Painman
  89. Rudy
  90. tesla

If you made a request on another thread and your name isn't listed above, send me a PM and I will get it up there.

If you wish to buy a harness and haven't yet asked, please post your request on this thread.

If I have you marked Deferred until later, when you are ready just send me a PM indicating so and I will re-activate your name at it's original place in line on the waiting list.

For those of you with a
3 digit IBA number
(the flea on the back of a flea, on the back of a flea), Let me know up front and I will attempt to accommodate your schedule.

Many thanks to RZ350 and RoadRunner for the excellent work they did on tracing out the grounding circuit on the bike's wire harness. My Grounding Harness isn't the only fix offered on this FJRForum, RoadRunner went a different direction with his harness. Which ever method you choose, you will have addressed a major fault that has reared it's ugly head. Take care of it before your bike has a melt down and leaves you stranded several thousand/hundred miles from home.

Thank you.

:)

Brodie

Seems like a lot of '07 owners ordering a unit. While test riding the bike before I bought it it did die on me 2x. Since then the bike was inspected by Yamaha and the ECU was replaced under warranty. It has randomly stalled once or twice in the 7 weeks I've owned the bike.

If $100 will give me pece of mind that this spider issue wont happen add me to the list. I'll be removing the tupperwear to do my HID install. I guess then will be a good time to get this added as well.

Update - months of riding and thousands and thousands of miles later...

No problems...

This fix simply works.

Until MammaYamma fixes this -

(and what WTFMY)

...this kit is needed on every Gen2 ever made.

Otherwise, it's just a matter of time.

Seems like a lot of '07 owners ordering a unit. While test riding the bike before I bought it it did die on me 2x. Since then the bike was inspected by Yamaha and the ECU was replaced under warranty. It has randomly stalled once or twice in the 7 weeks I've owned the bike.
If $100 will give me pece of mind that this spider issue wont happen add me to the list. I'll be removing the tupperwear to do my HID install. I guess then will be a good time to get this added as well.
Could your problem simpy be that you idle speed is set too low? It should be at 1100 rpm.

As to removing your plastic to install an HD conversion . . . why? I did mine with theplastic on - removed it afterward, too.

Brodie,

Please put me on your list. I will await instructions on payment.

Thanks,

Jeff

Hi Brodie:

Sign me up for a harness. I helped Ian Stephens install his on Saturday and looks like good preventative medicine!

Thanks!

Put me on the list too.

Mine died twice on the way back from NAFO and is now at the Yammy dealers while Yamaha Canada is doing whatever it is they are going to do.

Thanks,

shakin

Please put me on your list too Brodie. Big trip next summer and I don't want to be stranded!

Just installed the Brodie harness and found that all my spiders were clean and healthy, however, I'm on an 07 with less than 8K miles and very few electrics. In some ways, I'm disappointed because I wanted visual validation for my time and money spent but the peace of mind that I wont get a nasty spider bite is priceless. By the way, is there a correlation between riding in hot climates (like me in the Dallas area) and spider failure?

Harness was top notch even for a post crash/injured Brodie.....thanks Brodie, hope your mending quickly.

Would Yamaha install this harness if we didn't want to do it ourselves? Curious how much they would charge. I'm not mechanically inclined which means it takes me much longer to do a job than most of you. I actually enjoyed most of the process which included installing a new battery, new horns and disabling the windshield auto retract but spent WAY too much time doing it and could have been spent this time doing honey-do's, yard work, home repair/improvement stuff, etc. (not to mention, I think I scare my wife when things are not going well). Anway, its got me thinking about doing my own wrenching vs someone else doing it. I guess it depends on what it is. For example, changing oil and filter is just too easy to have someone else do it. Adjusting the valves I think would be the tipping point for me. I admire you guys that have the skills to do this.

Last edited by a moderator:
:) any one know how long it takes to get one of these ? kinda afraid to ride it too far from home. these things are to heavy to push home.

Just installed the Brodie harness and found that all my spiders were clean and healthy, however, I'm on an 07 with less than 8K miles and very few electrics. In some ways, I'm disappointed because I wanted visual validation for my time and money spent but the peace of mind that I wont get a nasty spider bite is priceless. By the way, is there a correlation between riding in hot climates (like me in the Dallas area) and spider failure?

Harness was top notch even for a post crash/injured Brodie.....thanks Brodie, hope your mending quickly.

Would Yamaha install this harness if we didn't want to do it ourselves? Curious how much they would charge. I'm not mechanically inclined which means it takes me much longer to do a job than most of you. I actually enjoyed most of the process which included installing a new battery, new horns and disabling the windshield auto retract but spent WAY too much time doing it and could have been spent this time doing honey-do's, yard work, home repair/improvement stuff, etc. (not to mention, I think I scare my wife when things are not going well). Anway, its got me thinking about doing my own wrenching vs someone else doing it. I guess it depends on what it is. For example, changing oil and filter is just too easy to have someone else do it. Adjusting the valves I think would be the tipping point for me. I admire you guys that have the skills to do this.

It was hot when my spider burned up. About 92F w/ wife on the backgoing up steep Mt Diablo very slow 10mph so the bike was getting warm. Temp guage was about 75-80% up the guage. Good move with pre-emptive strike. Sooner or later it is coming. I have no farkles on my bike. Obviously the head lamps were on and my fans must of been engaged. Not fun, in fact out right dangerous.

I suspect that any dealer would be able to do it. My local dealer (Walt Healy here in Calgary) did one for a customer of theirs with an FJR. The owner had a meltdown of the spider near the signal light. Since his bike was well out of warranty (an 07), he paid for the dealer's service guy to basically do a Brodie harness up in the shop.

I just installed the harness on my bike a couple of weeks ago and seriously the hardest part is getting all the Tupperware back on. If you're concerned enough to want to order the harness, try to get in on a Tech Day near you and get some supervision - you don't have to be mechanically inclined to do it. You just need to be able to read Brodie's instructions online and know the difference between righty tighty/ lefty loosy.

Ian

silverdog

I have another 6 in the pipeline, I should get them done this weekend. Things are a bit busy these past few days since going back to work (light duty) last monday. Three months off since the accident, I have a lot of catching up to do.

I will send you a PM when I have one ready for you.

Brodie

:) any one know how long it takes to get one of these ? kinda afraid to ride it too far from home. these things are to heavy to push home.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.