Guitar Carrier?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yamma Jamma

Reaction score
I haul a large acoustic guitar in a hard shell case around the Houston area in a PU truck that gets 12.5 mpg. Not a good thing for me...gas costing what it is.

Am looking for a way to mount the guitar to the FJR using the 4 bag connection points on one side

of the bike for a cradle that will secure the guitar.

Personally, I couldn't weld a piece of rebar to the side of an aircraft carrier...

Any suggestions here about who could come up with something for me?

Thanks.

Yamma Jamma

S.O. (musician/guitarist) recco: padded gig-bag with back-pack straps and carry it on your back. Note: she doesn't have a large acoustic guitar nor a hard case -- I witnessed her carrying a Fender classical around Vegas for a week (on her Yamaha).

She says: hard case is too heavy..... :huh: :unsure: :)

Probably not the suggestion you're looking for..... :(

I haul a large acoustic guitar in a hard shell case around the Houston area in a PU truck that gets 12.5 mpg. Not a good thing for me...gas costing what it is.
Am looking for a way to mount the guitar to the FJR using the 4 bag connection points on one side

Personally, I couldn't weld a piece of rebar to the side of an aircraft carrier...

Thanks.

Yamma Jamma

Appreciate the suggestion. Guitar is expenssive and I want it well protected. With case its heavy and that gets the combined center of gravity way up. But again...thanks...I'm gonna look into that. It would be the quickest and cheapest thing to do.

Am looking for a way to mount the guitar to the FJR using the 4 bag connection points on one sideof the bike for a cradle that will secure the guitar.
If you can send me some images as well as some dimensions, I may be able to come up with something that will work. Expect cost to be in vicinity of $175 or thereabouts plus shipping... PM me if interested...

Am looking for a way to mount the guitar to the FJR using the 4 bag connection points on one sideof the bike for a cradle that will secure the guitar.
If you can send me some images as well as some dimensions, I may be able to come up with something that will work. Expect cost to be in vicinity of $175 or thereabouts plus shipping... PM me if interested...

will do.

Rivet some backpack straps on the hard case? I don't think the center of gravity is going to be an issue and if you do it right you'll have a back rest.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not to hijack a thread, but if the same concept could be applied to a rifle case or say, any other form of hard case just to be universal and practical to fabricate, then I may be interested as well. By the way, nice aux light brackets---thanks.

I've commuted with soft bag and 1000 dollar gtr inside with shoulder straps. It works...but, wind drag....hard on the back. If you could design some kind of mounting system to replace one of the bags that would work best. I.e....buy a crashed bag.....take the front cover off and cut away enough to make a mount for the gtr case.

Just had a brain fart.

Have you considered getting a banged up FJR side bag and cutting out what is needed so that the neck of the guitar case sticks out at and aft angle (say a 9:00 or 10:00 position when looking at the bike from the right side). With a dremel tool you can carve out the black portion of the side bag and leave the painted portion intact. Not sure if the side case is big enough, but it's a thought...

Seems to me some dude from dallas may start experiments with said experimental set-up.....then again....may experiment with sidebag/fueltank set up also. Don't need no stinkin' balsa fuel tank.

Thanks.

Yamma Jamma
Appreciate the suggestion. Guitar is expenssive and I want it well protected. With case its heavy and that gets the combined center of gravity way up. But again...thanks...I'm gonna look into that. It would be the quickest and cheapest thing to do.
Don't know how expensive your acoustic is, but I would not haul my Martins around in any bag that close to the exhaust. Have you ever opened up your side case after traveling a while, it gets very warm. Heat is not a friend of wooden guitars, that's why you should not drag it around in the trunk of your car or in a case that is heated by the exhaust pipe. JMHO.

Thanks.

Yamma Jamma
Don't know how expensive your acoustic is, but I would not haul my Martins around in any bag that close to the exhaust. Have you ever opened up your side case after traveling a while, it gets very warm. Heat is not a friend of wooden guitars, that's why you should not drag it around in the trunk of your car or in a case that is heated by the exhaust pipe. JMHO.

I look at this post everyday to see what ends up happening.

Guitar is a Taylor 714ce....with case when new, just under 3k. The heat of the exhaust is something that I have thought about. I think if the guitar is held up a couple of inches it will be ok. When I get a minute, I'm gonna diagram the case and send the diagrams to Garauld and try to get this process rolling.

btw...What's that "Warn" thing under my avatar about?

Last edited by a moderator:
Guitar is a Taylor 714ce....with case when new, just under 3k. The heat of the exhaust is something that I have thought about. I think if the guitar is held up a couple of inches it will be ok. When I get a minute, I'm gonna diagram the case and send the diagrams to Garauld and try to get this process rolling.
btw...What's that "Warn" thing under my avatar about?
Take a look at the 'New Members Post Here First Site'>>>>>Clickity<<<<<

Be sure to peruse that section to answer all your questions about the forum. First timer questions like that sometimes get interesting, albiet humerous responses. Maintain a thick skin and have fun. B)

I have often thought about carrying my bass on the bike to practice and have considered many options, however I think that the case would become a sail and would disrupt more than just the joy of riding. I decided to keep a beater bass and amp at our drummer's house where we practice and don't even mess with it. Safe.

I did see an episode of American Chopper where they built a chopper for Peavey. They attached a guitar to the back of the bike but in the end, we all know how impractical all of those"bikes" are.

Got a Taylor 310ce and an 814ce... would love to know if you determine a "safe" way to pull this off. Good luck.

Any reason you can not consider somehow securing to lay flat on the back seat with the neck pointing straight off the back?

Mark