Hand guards and Dash shelf?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TriggerT

Mr. Impatient
Reaction score
I had thought that using the V-Strom hand guards and an In-line dash shelf didn't work. I tried mounting both on my bike in the past, but the hand guards hit the shelf before I reached the stops. Recently I have seen several pictures of bikes with both the hand guards and shelf being used in conjunction, to and including a picture on page 29 of the most recent Iron Butt magazine.

Is anyone using bot the hand guards and the shelf, and are the hand guards hitting the shelf when you turn? Are you using risers, or a non EOM triple tree?

I have talked to people with Gen 1 models that are using the handguards and shelf, so I thought that might be it, but the picture in the Iron Butt mag is clearly a Gen 2.

I tried the hand guards and the original dash shelf on my 06, and the hand guards did indeed bump the shelf, there is a redesigned dash shelf available now. Don't know about that one.

I have a Gen II and use both the N-Line shelf (1st edition) and the V Strom handguards. The handguards only "just" touch at a full lock turn. I have the HeliBar triple clamp and that may add a bit of clearance. I do not regret installing the handguards and the shelf....even with the slight contact.