Hand Guards to use with Hippo Hands

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jim oneill

triplex
Reaction score
Ordered Hippo Hands yesterday and have noticed comments from many concerning their interfearance with the brake and clutch levers. Can anyone suggest the best fix for this issue. I,ve read about the V Strom guards but they seem to be a bit pricey when you figure in all the hardware you need to order as well as the reaming out you have to do with a dremel device (which i don,t have) Any suggestions?

Jim,

I looked around and found a pair of VStrom hand guards for $69.95. They included all hardware that was needed, and very little work with a dremel tool was needed. It was about a ten minute job and with a pair of good gloves, my hands are really the warmest part of body on these cool morning commutes.

Keep the shiny side up,

-Paul

Ordered Hippo Hands yesterday and have noticed comments from many concerning their interfearance with the brake and clutch levers. Can anyone suggest the best fix for this issue. I,ve read about the V Strom guards but they seem to be a bit pricey when you figure in all the hardware you need to order as well as the reaming out you have to do with a dremel device (which i don,t have) Any suggestions?
I've used a set of home-brewed hippo hands the last two winter seasons without hand guards. In high winds, it may push a little bit on the levers, but I did not have any big issues with it. It may also depend on what material your hippo hands are made of (mine are pretty thinck and stiff).

I would try using them for a bit to see how they hold up. You may need someone tailing you to see if the brake lights flash.

b.t.w. which hippo hands did you buy?

I mounted a set of MX Uniko Handguards on the bike. The Uniko's will not touch my aftermarket windshield when the bars are turned to the left or right unlike V-Strom handguards. I take the guards off in the summer but leave the mounts on.

https://www.rockymoun...d=&colorAttr=13

It's amazing, with heated grips, how much the hand guards help. But when riding in the Pacific North-wet, rain is always a factor. So when it gets really nasty, I slide the Watersheds over the hand guards. Now I have the best of both worlds.

I have heard that you can do 120 mph with those hand guards and they will keep the watersheds of the levers.

I've used a set of home-brewed hippo hands the last two winter seasons without hand guards. In high winds, it may push a little bit on the levers, but I did not have any big issues with it. It may also depend on what material your hippo hands are made of (mine are pretty thinck and stiff).

I would try using them for a bit to see how they hold up. You may need someone tailing you to see if the brake lights flash.

b.t.w. which hippo hands did you buy?

don,t understand your question? which did I buy? I bought them off their website disn,t know I had a choice? will try them maybe I wont need the additional guards thanks