Handbrake Lever

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Defiant77

Reaction score
Greetings,

Ok, my handbrake lever is loose so that the wind pushes it back and activates my brake lights. Is there an adjustment I can make to reduce that my play?

There is a little slop in the microswitch mounting screws that will allow you to bias the switch position to the lever a tiny bit and have it come on later. Most people have the opposite problem, of the light coming on too late (after braking has begun) and want to adjust it to come on earlier.

You should take the lever off and inspect the pivot point to make sure it hasn't worn and hogged out the hole, causing the switch to be activated early.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm with Fred on this. If your lever is loose, take it apart and check it's mounting hardware. Once you know that is good, adjust it to where ever you like it working.

Greetings,
Ok, my handbrake lever is loose so that the wind pushes it back and activates my brake lights. Is there an adjustment I can make to reduce that my play?
Something doesn't sound right here. I have just checked mine and while there is some 'lateral' slop there is absolutely no front /rear movement.

The return spring in the master cylinder should hold the lever firmly against the stop.

You might need to pull the dust cover and check that everything is clean and properly lubed.

This is covered pretty well in the Haynes manual (including pictures).