handguards ?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

silverdog

Reaction score
any one come up with a handguard setup other than the vstrom one ?? pics ??

thanks...

Guru Glen's V-Strom work great. They also look great, after a coating of black gloss.

DSC00819.jpg

IMG_0281-1.jpg

Credit where credit is due... those BMW guards are done by Mike Carpenter... who is Yamaholic & not Doug C.

FWIW, awhile back there was a guy that posted about putting those high graphic type hand guards on his bike. The info is over on the FJRownersassociation board. Kinda' looked like ass IMO.

Correction: it looks like the website is Doug C's but the farkle idea is Mike's.

Last edited by a moderator:
Credit where credit is due... those BMW guards are done by Mike Carpenter... who is Yamaholic & not Doug C.
FWIW, awhile back there was a guy that posted about putting those high graphic type hand guards on his bike. The info is over on the FJRownersassociation board. Kinda' looked like ass IMO.

Correction: it looks like the website is Doug C's but the farkle idea is Mike's.
I don't know about the rest of you who have the V-Strom handguards but, I found them almost a perfect fit right out of the box! Okay, a little filing but, that was it! Also excellent weather protection. I find they keep my hands probably 10-15 degrees warmer. Thank you to whoever discovered this!!!!!

Ride on!

I just ordered a set of the V-Strom guards. Should have them next week.

Why use anything else? These have been proven to work great with our bikes. And the price is right. :yahoo:

I have a set of the V-Strom Guards and they do help a lot. I have something going on with my hands and the thinner the glove the better. I have a hard time finding a XX-Large glove that I can keep a good grip on the throttle without making my hand go to sleep.

These came up a while back on the form and I bought some and they work great, not to pretty but if it helps me ride when it in the 30's so be it.

You know the routine-Click here

The BMW GS1150 guards are a perfect fit, no trimming required. That is indeed my bike on Dougs site (thanks again for hosting, Doug!).

Read the detail on the install. It was very easy! You need about $2 of hardware store bolts, nuts and spacers. But it assumes that you have aftermarket weights and kept your old ends. A SS washer could very well be a substitute foir the extra bar ends.

I have since added the SAENG molding on the top edge and adhered with black silicone adhesive. Rain deflects very nicely and keeps your hands dry.

This is not for everyone, but at the time of install the V-strom setup was yet to be tested. I can say for certainty that the BMW guards work well, are high quality, and no fuss installing them.

Last edited by a moderator:
after a coating of black gloss.

IMG_0281-1.jpg
Did you paint that whole bike with Krylon rattlecan Jager? - fooking nice job man - looks great!
Thanks,

I just noticed that the picture is actually from BEFORE the handguards were sprayed w/ Krylon; they're now black, not grey.

BTW, if you do this, use only ONE coat of Krylon. A second coat won't bond to the first. Ask me how I know.