Hands Guards on '07

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drew

Reaction score
There are lots of posts on hand guards, but not much detail/specifics - because a monkey could do it, right? I have gotten the brake side installed but not able to tighten down the bar end due to throttle sticking on the way back. The guard isn't going anywhere but I'm concerned the bar end could vibrate off. The clutch side is a different story. The guard looks to be about 1/2" too short. When I get the inside of the guard bolted in place, the bar end side is about a 1/2" from where it would slide into the gap next to the bar end.

Anyone else have these types of install hiccups? Any resolutions to them? These are pretty solid plastic and pretty stiff, I've considered cutting off the ends that clip onto the bar ends and just have them hanging out there, issues resolved, but I'm concerned what they may do at speed, 80+.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Loosening the clutch lever perch and sliding it a little to the left worked for me. I have the grooved barends made up for previously modded hand guards. Are you using the DL1000 or DL650 guards?

I don't know the difference between the DL1000 or DL650 guards, I just bought the kit through FJRTech. Grooved bar ends?

That's a good link, I hadn't ran across that one. Do you sell the grooved bar ends?

How does $35/set shipped sound? Like the post said, I have them for modded and unmodded guards.

What is the difference between the modded and unmodded guards? I have dremeled out the clip end to fit on my bar ends, but otherwise, they are as purchased. Do these bar ends add any added weight/provide any other function other than help with guard mounting? I've got the 57341-27G01-291 and 57541-06G10-291 guards.

Thanks.

You would need the ones for guards previously modded to fit the stock barends. The groove is bigger in diameter. Those p/n's are for DL1000 guards.

The stockers weigh a little over 100g. My scale doesn't have the capacity to weigh the ss parts but I would estimate they weigh around double that.

On the brake throttle side I opened out the plastic guard to the same diameter as the bar end, then fitted a washer on the inside cup of the bar end to give the necessary clearance off the throttle tube. The clutch side just move the the lever slightly, also open out the guard end.

Andy

There are lots of little issues that can come up doing this. I made a similar post yours when I installed mine, and there have been quite a few others. Face it, the guards were made for a different bike and different manufacturer, even though there are kits that are supposed to make them adapt. In my case, the issue was the bolts provided in the kit didn't seem the right length for both sides. IIRC, there were two identical bolts, but the two sides seemed to require different bolts. That one was solved by a little plastic bending to get it over on the longer side--right, I think. A couple of years now, off and on twice, no problems.

As to getting the ends of the hand guards over the bar end grips, folks have a real variety of end weights, bar end covers, Throttlemeisters, etc., so there's no "one" answer. Use your ingenuity, and maybe a Dremel if necessary. You can slide the levers in a bit on the handlebars, as well as the other controls in that area, if that helps and/or is necessary. Come back to it and look at it fresh once or twice if you have to. You'll figure it out.

The good news is, once you figure it out and get them mounted, it's completely easy to take them off again next spring and future remounts--like next fall--are equally easy. Just leave the same bolts in all the time.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had this same issue with the throttle side on mine. My problem was magnified a bit by the fact that I have a Brakeaway throttle lock, which pushes grip itself about 1/4-1/2" off the end of the bar (they supply a spacer that goes on the bar end). My solution was to take a piece of 1" aluminum strap I had leftover from a Denver chair project and make an extra large "washer". This washer was stacked onto the bar end spacer and then the bar end itself was installed. The "washer" keeps the guard's forks from contacting the grip, allowing free throttle movement. You could employ the same sort of thing to get free movement. It was actually a bit of fun working out the fitment of the guards (the installed throttle lock also meant a bit of dremel work to the guard). :D

I've tried twice to mount the set off my wee strom on to my o7 FJR. Both times I had to remove them because them screwed up the throttle response. The bike would start down the road fine and die within a block....what the hell.