Harbor Freight Motorcycle tire adapter changes.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bwv

Reaction score
A while ago, I had read some posts here about the HFT MC tire adapter and MoJo blocks... went to buy one.. and it looked like it was discontinued.

Well.. i was just on my way to buying the base tire changer, and making my own adapter for it... and saw that the Motorcycle tire adapter is available as an accessory again.

I had a couple coupons, and my CFO was feeling generous.. so i ordered it,.thinking i would build some rim protectors from an old cutting board. Still can, and will, and alreayd have an idea.. but it has changed a little from the original design. Here are some pics of it.

$83.12 shipped to my door.. including shipping, tax, and 5$ for an extra tire iron.

They did a lot less than they could of, as far as design goes, to locate the arms more positively. There will be some flex and undesired motion of parts...that being said.. I did mention that I got it super cheap... and its nothing i cant fix with the MIG welder.

hftc1.JPG

The top arm is kinda floppy, and the shaft is too big to go through where the axle does without removing bearings... I will get a solid round steel bar that is close to axle size to drop in there...

hftc2.JPG

These are the clamps... between the lack of a lip, and the looseness of the slides on the bars allowing an obtuse clamping angle, I feel that the rim while likely slide out if there is even a slight fight with the tire...and the edges of that rectangle tube look like they will damage the rim unless i do something creative. Looks like a ready built paint peeler...

hftc3.JPG

Not quite ready to change another tire yet.. but when the rear is done and i have to build rim protectors for this, and shims to keep them from tipping back so far(or maybe weld a nut to the bottom inside end so i can put a bolt in to force an acute angle), I will post em up.

hftc4.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Very nice work, please let us know how everything turns out. Looks like you got something good going :)

Nice to see this inexpensive accessory back. Looking forward to seeing your mods. Let's make Fred proud!
rolleyes.gif

I've been wondering why they haven't shown the MC tire adapter in the ads they mail me. Haven't seen it for several years I think.

The old one had better rim clamps.... weld a little flat plate to the top of them and add the Mojo blocks. I tried cutting board parts at first, but the outside prevented the tire from going down past the rim. The clamps don't move after you snug a wheel in there, but mark the positions for 16-17-18" rims if you're doing different wheel sizes. Get rid of the overarm, not necessary, and yes a piece of 5/8" shaft will do, as came with the old one (you can put a bushing in the lower hole if you want to reduce play). Get rid of that star-shaped adapter under the main tube, and perhaps cut some off the tube to lower it and you'll like the lower working position better. The old one had a round plate with a hole for the anti-rotation pin (the one on an angle in your pic).... but a bolt/pin right through both tubes will work. Cutting board parts on the bead breaker and a piece of plywood to hold the wheel up (to help prevent brake rotor damage). Mount the whole thing slightly off center to a 4'x6' piece of 3/4" plywood if you don't want to bolt it to the floor (so you can stand on more plywood at one end). Or, make yourself a trailer hitch mount for more portability/storage..........

I have the old style and it does scratch the wheels if you are not very careful.

I mounted mine on a 4 foot by 4 foot sheet of 3/4 inch hardwood plywood that I had leftover from another project. I used carriage bolts and wingnuts to attach the changer to the plywood so I can separate them easily for storage.

In case this is your first foray into changing your own tires, I found the trick to making it easy is to keep the tires warm.

Wow, the rim holders on the new one look positively awful. How the heck are they supposed to hold the wheel at all? I can see a lot of first timers having a difficult time with this one.

I like that the center bar has the bit at the bottom to keep it from moving around, the clamping method on the old one has never been to my liking but I also don't want to have to pull bearings just to change a tire either. Seems like some good ideas with poor implementation.

I just line the rim holders (old style w/lip) with a couple layers of duct tape to prevent scratches. It's worked so far but I may get some Mojo blocks one of these days.

The guy who sells the Mojoblocks says he's going to change the design of the blocks "later this Fall" to fit the new HF motorcycle adapter. Link

Before I forget

COUPONS You can get the whole thing for $65

(the order makes a difference.. or at least it did for me when i just re-tried it)

1 go to HarborFreight.com

2 add the tire changer (CLICKY) , item number 69686, to your Cart

3 view your cart, enter 35241506 in the "coupon code" space.. this makes the tire changer 34.99

4 add the motorcycle adapter (CLICKY), item number 60810, to your cart

5 view your cart, enter 17764590 in the "coupon code" space.. this takes $10 off the MC adapter so 29.99

6. buy it...

there will be shipping.. but still a good buy.

Can the coupon codes be used to purchase at a local store without shipping costs?
I dont know where i got the 10$ one for the MC adapter.. I'm looking for it..I cant find it... it's frustrating... i think it was 25% off any item...

If i find that one I will post up.

The tire changer coupon... try this link (CLICKY).. if it works.. print it and go shopping
smile.png

Maybe take the code for the 10$ off (17764590) for the adapter and see if they can type it in... they will probably do that for you..

I might have one in a magazine i can scan and post.. ill look

EDIT.. Found a "25% off any 1 item" coupon (would be 10$ off the 40 the MC adapter costs...) On page 70 in the Nov 2013 issue of Cycle World... also one in my Family Handyman magazine...

Nice Stude. Is that a Gran Turismo?
Yup :) GT 3 speed Auto, Floor Shifter, Stude 289 4 barrel, dual exhaust and runs amazingly well...

Nice Stude. Is that a Gran Turismo?
Gunny ++

I ran a 54 Starlight Coupe with a big Olds in it back in the day. Always like the GT's.
I would LOVE to drop a small block chevy in it (I love a 400cid)... but the OEM runs great, and i dont wanna twist the car.

Works. So far I can duplicate your online price. Do you need the bead breaker? LINKY
Nope.. this one has the bead breaker built in...you dont need to buy another.

If you look at picture #1.. straight below the FJR's kickstand and slightly left, is where it is on this machine.