hard pull clutch

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alexander

Reaction score
I've been looking through the discussions about hard pull clutch levers and haven't found anything I haven't already tried. Thought I'd try a post. '08 Fjr with 16,000 miles. Took it to Canada last year (2000 mile trip) and had no problem with the clutch pull. Dropped it off at the dealer for service and since then -- difficult to pull. This isn't just an inconvenience for me; I have an injured clutch hand and now have to wait days between rides for the pain to subside (I'm an ex-Marine and not a pussy when it comes to pain). No Canada trip on the Fjr this year unless I can resolve the problem. The only things the shop did differently that time was 1) reattach the fuel gauge wires that had been disconnected when they installed the Tour Performance handle bar riser before the trip, and 2) switch to full synthetic oil. Took it back to the shop; they changed the clutch fluid, lubed the pivot points, etc. No change. Any suggestions? Hate to sell my baby and go beck to riding the Harley. Thanks

I've been looking through the discussions about hard pull clutch levers and haven't found anything I haven't already tried. Thought I'd try a post. '08 Fjr with 16,000 miles. Took it to Canada last year (2000 mile trip) and had no problem with the clutch pull. Dropped it off at the dealer for service and since then -- difficult to pull. This isn't just an inconvenience for me; I have an injured clutch hand and now have to wait days between rides for the pain to subside (I'm an ex-Marine and not a pussy when it comes to pain). No Canada trip on the Fjr this year unless I can resolve the problem. The only things the shop did differently that time was 1) reattach the fuel gauge wires that had been disconnected when they installed the Tour Performance handle bar riser before the trip, and 2) switch to full synthetic oil. Took it back to the shop; they changed the clutch fluid, lubed the pivot points, etc. No change. Any suggestions? Hate to sell my baby and go beck to riding the Harley. Thanks

SOme "elder statesmen" of the forum, likely pre-arthritis, have changed their levers to Pazzo or other aftermarket levers to modify the angle of pull.

That might work for you. If you choose to try that the levers for the FZ-1 are the correct ones (in case FJR isn't listed). IIRC, you swap the brass bushing in the clutch lever.

What have you done to adjust the lever?

Great thing about the FJR is they do make a clutch lever-less model.

But if your really looking for an excuse to go get a Harley... ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Some people have changed the clutch slave cylinder to an 05 model to get an easier pull. The rational is that they changed the diameter of the cylinder on the 06 and up to work better with the AE model. I haven't changed mine, but don't have a problem with it....yet!

Oh yeah, one thing I did do, on my bike the lever was adjusted all the way out(good thing I have long fingers) but I still had to pull the lever almost all the way to the grip before the clutch would disengage. The fix is to remove the slave cylinder from the side of the motor, don't worry, no fluid comes out, and put a small piece of metal(I cut a screw down that matched the size of the clutch rod) and put it in the cylinder, then reinstall it. This moves the point of engagement out from the grip. I hope that makes sense...it's pretty easy to do really.

Not a definitive solution but, as my last bike was a wee-strom, which has a very light-pull clutch, i was having a hard time getting used to the FJR clutch in heavy traffic. Tried then without gloves, and voila! Dont like to ride Without gloves but it's been giving me time to get used to it without leaving my hand sore. Going to try to get a pair of better gloves. I was still using the very first pair of motorcycles i've got (cheap!) but apparently it adds some friction and resists the pull movement, which never posed a problem with lighter clutches but with the FJR ended up being the proverbial straw that broke the camel's back

Something is obviously wrong if the bike was fine for several thousand miles and then a visit to the dealer messed it up.

I would take a close look at the clutch lever and check that the master cylinder push rod is in the hole of the bushing. When reinstalling the lever you have to be careful to hit the hole. Typically the clutch will slip when this happens, maybe not in your case.

Good luck.

--G

If this shop is a Yamaha dealer have them compare your clutch pull to an fjr (or other) that is on the floor, should speak for itself. Thanks for your service. Also from what my son-in-law tells me there is no such thing as an ex marine.

I merged two identical topics?!?!?!?!?

Confusing having two identical topics, but I don't think it has been mentioned yet:

Gen I FJRs have a different slave cylinder that makes clutch pull lighter. In 2009, they went back to this identical part. So 2006-2008 FJRs have an increased effort clutch pull. Install the 2003-2005, 2009+ clutch slave cylinder and that will help reduce the effort for the pull.

On a separate note, I have found the angle to be critical for me. Frequently the angle of the clutch lever is 'too horizontal' which causes immense discomfort in a relatively short amount of time. I usually need to rotate the whole assembly 'forward' so that the pull of the clutch lever is more inline with my arm and it is a 'straight' pull.

Or, marine or not, you're a wuss. :D

Good luck.

Scooty is the forum expert when it comes to pulling things... :clapping:

1) reattach the fuel gauge wires that had been disconnected when they installed the Tour Performance handle bar riser before the trip,

Gen I FJRs have a different slave cylinder that makes clutch pull lighter. In 2009, they went back to this identical part. So 2006-2008 FJRs have an increased effort clutch pull. Install the 2003-2005, 2009+ clutch slave cylinder and that will help reduce the effort for the pull.

On a separate note, I have found the angle to be critical for me. Frequently the angle of the clutch lever is 'too horizontal' which causes immense discomfort in a relatively short amount of time. I usually need to rotate the whole assembly 'forward' so that the pull of the clutch lever is more inline with my arm and it is a 'straight' pull.
If it was OK before the shop had it then you should take careful note of Skooter's comments about the angle of 'pull'. Raising the bars has definitely altered that angle.

Don