Hard, soft or correct shape. What dose your @ss like?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EasyRider

Reaction score
Hard soft or correct shape. What dose your @ss like?

I bought a Rick Mayer seat last year for my 07 FJR. First off I want to say I think its a great product with very good craftsmanship. I bet his seats have a 95% satisfaction rate with his customers. I understand how the breaking period works and it makes good sense to me. I have not doubt almost all the customers who have initial discomfort, settle in to a comfort zone with the seat after a break in period. I’m sure that once the correct shape is achieved after the breaking period, it works great for almost everyone.

But I am one of the 5% that could not get it too work good for. I don’t have much natural cushion on my @ss. I found the seat too hard and could not make it beyond 50 mile with out great pain. I had to add a Airhawk air filled seat cushion to find peace with my seat. The Airhawk cushion did take care of my but pain very well and my but feels great with day long rides. But now I move around a bit wile on top of the Airhawk cushion, and thats not the best way to ride.

I have read plenty of posts about the Russell Daylong seat, so I don’t need to use the search box to find and read more. I already know it is also an excellent well revered product with maybe the highest satisfaction rate in the motorcycle touring community.

I just have a simple question about the Russell Seat? And I’m not interested in the correct shape theory, that will not do it by it self for me. My question is, “Is the seat hard”? Its that simple. If I want a hard seat with good shape, I can get on old tractor seat and cover it with a 1/4 inch of foam and some vinyl. I don’t want another custom $600.00 dollar hard seat, even with the right shape. I want a soft cushy seat for my toosh. Good shape with softness is good also.

Any helpfull advice would be much appreciated.

P.S. Yes, I know how to use the boards search engine.

Have you contacted the folks at Rick Mayer Saddles and spoken to them about this? I'm sure they'd offer to do whatever it would take to turn you into one of the 95%. I'm doing the custom saddle thing myself this month, and I'd be interested to hear how this turns out for you.

I have a Russell. It's not as soft as the stock seat. It's softer than a Rick Mayer seat though. I do have the heavy weight version.

What didn't you like about the stock seat?

My Russell is pretty stiff, but that's OK because my more than ample posterior end is a proper load for the seat. Extremely happy doing LD rides now that I got the Russell (thanks again Bounce). Hmmm, I wonder if the Russell folks would do a softer than stock foam for you ? The answer is probably yes, my be worth a phone call...

Have you contacted the folks at Rick Mayer Saddles and spoken to them about this? I'm sure they'd offer to do whatever it would take to turn you into one of the 95%. I'm doing the custom saddle thing myself this month, and I'd be interested to hear how this turns out for you.

Gunny. Rick is great to work with and am nearly certain would be willing to take another shot at making you a happy customer. Don't know the ins and outs of shipping X-country (I saw CT on your info), but definitely give him a call and let him know your specific comfort issues before you give up on him. Of course, I was a 95%er and still have happy nether regions with upwards of 40K miles on his seat.

RsvlFeej

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a Russell. It's not as soft as the stock seat. It's softer than a Rick Mayer seat though. I do have the heavy weight version.
What didn't you like about the stock seat?
The stock seat was too hard and I could only ride about 50 miles before I had to get off with bad but pain.

I tryed to get a Russell last year but the wait was to long and I went with a Rick Mayer instead. But I found it very hard.

Now I am using the AirHawk cushion on top of the Rick Mayer seat and it works well to keep me comfortable, except for floating / shifting around on top the air ride cushion.

I dose not sound like the Russell will work for me ether if its harder than stock. But maybe, as was suggested above, the seat could have some soft memory foam addend to the top of the seat before its wrapped up it might work out well.

I do remember last year talking to the very nice people at both Rick Mayer's place and the Day Long company about getting extra cushioning in their seats and they both told me their seat designs would not need any extra padding. But I'll go ahead and talk to both shops again.

I am truly disappointed in this thread. Thought for sure that one of those guys (Fencer, etc.) who can always find the best pics, would have by now, posted a pic of some fine asses.

Maybe I'll check back tomorrow and see this thread derailed as expected.

:)

On subject (sorta), I've heard that Mustang seats still allow you to move around on the bike. I've sat on Grumpy's Russell. While it sits nice, I can't slide out of it and that restricts my movement on the bike, therefore making it out of the question for my riding style. Can anybody confirm the Mustang? (This will give me something to read in case there still aren't any pics posted).

If I've said it once, I've said it a million times: Ride in. Yeah, yeah, I see where you are from, but if you are a 5%er, you'll never be happy with mail order. Of course, all of the usual pundits will chime in, but they aren't 5%ers. ;)

a little/ way off topic, I wrote a company that makes padded bicycle shorts, expalining that they should make some for motorcyclist, bikers pay $4-600 for new padded seats. Asked them if they wanted a test mule,

They loved the idea, are sending me a couple pair of modified padded shorts for free.

While I'm not in shape nor mind for spandex type bicycle shorts, ( their supposed to be worn as actual outer wear),,,,I'll see how they work . Most likely under some perforated / airy & armored overpants. (Aint gonna walk nor drive around my hood with a padded azz shorts, it'll give fjr's a bad karma, & get me shot like easyrider)!!!

Well anyways enuf with the funnystuff,,,, I'll try them . Might be alot cheaper than buying a new padded seat, or add an answer to the origanal post's predicament if new seats dont work out.

huk finn - www.ldcomfort.com/

The Dryline shorts are outstanding. Read some of the info about moisture wicking.

I have used padded bike shorts in the past, but the LD Comfort shorts are much better for under clothing wear. The bike shorts, when worn under other clothes, don't wick moisture as well as they do when worn as outer wear. (I bike too) Some may enjoy the padding, but if your butt is dry, and you're not suffering pain due to other issues like Easy rider, you will be comfortable. Keeping dry, and keeping blood flow to your body parts is key to comfort.

The Dryline shorts are outstanding. Read some of the info about moisture wicking.

I have used padded bike shorts in the past, but the LD Comfort shorts are much better for under clothing wear. The bike shorts, when worn under other clothes, don't wick moisture as well as they do when worn as outer wear. (I bike too) Some may enjoy the padding, but if your butt is dry, and you're not suffering pain due to other issues like Easy rider, you will be comfortable. Keeping dry, and keeping blood flow to your body parts is key to comfort.
GUNNY!

Well, wadaya know, I agree with OC on sumpin'! Go figger. :lol:

GUNNY!

Well, wadaya know, I agree with OC on sumpin'! Go figger. :lol:

:blink: :rofl:

I'm sorry, but after seeing pictures of both Warchild and Big Chief Stinky Pants on their website, I can no longer take them seriously! (The folks, not the product)

Sorta off topic, but still about ass comfort...

TWN and OC,

I currently use thin hunter's insulated/moisture-wick gear underneath my winter ride gear. I use motocross riding shorts most other months except for the extreme hot months of July-August.

How does the ldcomfort gear compare to what I'm using? Any specific benefits/features you care to point out?

(Besides the RooFly which I can use to be a real hit at drunken parties.)

Sorta off topic, but still about ass comfort...
TWN and OC,

I currently use thin hunter's insulated/moisture-wick gear underneath my winter ride gear. I use motocross riding shorts most other months except for the extreme hot months of July-August.

How does the ldcomfort gear compare to what I'm using? Any specific benefits/features you care to point out?

(Besides the RooFly which I can use to be a real hit at drunken parties.)

Jeff - In winter, probably not a lot of difference in the performance. In summer, I suspect more of a noticeable benefit with the Dryline LD Comfort shorts due to their amazing ability to keep you dry. Also, the LD shorts are simple to wash in the sink and wring out. They are essentially DRY at that point. The motocross shorts are probably a synthetic as well, so I'm guessing they do well for you. I like the way the seams on the LD shorts are done and how well they work, but they are not cheap. If you don't multi-day ride much, you may not fully appreciate the LD shorts, but for long days in the saddle or multi-day rides, they are fantastic for me.

:blink: :rofl: I'm sorry, but after seeing pictures of both Warchild and Big Chief Stinky Pants on their website, I can no longer take them seriously! (The folks, not the product)
I have to think Lisa would have been a better choice! Then again, if they can air out Big Chief Stinky Pants' butt, they can survive anything!

I like the way the seams on the LD shorts are done and how well they work, but they are not cheap. If you don't multi-day ride much, you may not fully appreciate the LD shorts, but for long days in the saddle or multi-day rides, they are fantastic for me.
Motocross shorts are typically $40 price range, so not too much difference. They have a cotton liner and no fly. The last thing you want in motocross is anything coming loose. :)

My average summer ride day now seems to start at 10 hours, with some days going 12-14 hours. I have the 10-day Yankee Loop coming up mid-June, so I may just have to give the shorts a test run.

Now the real question is... "What's the most embarassing thing you've ever done with the Roo-Fly?"

:unsure:

Motocross shorts are typically $40 price range, so not too much difference. They have a cotton liner and no fly. The last thing you want in motocross is anything coming loose. :)
Compared to the cotton, the Dryline is much better at keeping you dry!

Now the real question is... "What's the most embarassing thing you've ever done with the Roo-Fly?" :unsure:
Hey, I'm hung like a field mouse, so no problems there, it just goes back into place w/o fuss. :blush: YMMV if you want to go trolling. You might not like what you catch though!

Bonus, the LD shorts look enough like bike shorts that you can do a gear change w/o people making a fuss about it in public. It ain't always pretty though. :blink:

Latest posts