Hard, soft or correct shape. What dose your @ss like?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorta off topic, but still about ass comfort...
TWN and OC,

I currently use thin hunter's insulated/moisture-wick gear underneath my winter ride gear. I use motocross riding shorts most other months except for the extreme hot months of July-August.

How does the ldcomfort gear compare to what I'm using? Any specific benefits/features you care to point out?

(Besides the RooFly which I can use to be a real hit at drunken parties.)

:)
I can't comment on the hunter's gear or motox gear as I've not used either. Sorry.

What about poor dopes like me with no ass whatsoever? I'm gettin a Russell. Hope that cures my butt pain. :cry:
Still consider wicking shorts. Even with a custom saddle they help immensely.
I have those. I'm afflicted with the no ass syndrome. My thighs go right up my back. Hard to keep my damn pants up too.

I have those. I'm afflicted with the no ass syndrome. My thighs go right up my back. Hard to keep my damn pants up too.
One word - Suspenders.

It helps those of us with extra padding in the gut too. I add them to my riding pants with 'logger buttons'. The clip on ones tend to come off at inopportune moments. And that isn't pretty!

One word - Suspenders.

It helps those of us with extra padding in the gut too. I add them to my riding pants with 'logger buttons'. The clip on ones tend to come off at inopportune moments. And that isn't pretty!
I have suspenders for my riding pants. And an extra tenderloin roll around the belly. And I sure ain't pretty either.

One word - Suspenders.

I have suspenders for my riding pants. And an extra tenderloin roll around the belly. And I sure ain't pretty either.

Boy, you're a pain in the, um, ass! Might I suggest Botox for the buttocks? :lol:

Hard soft or correct shape. What dose your @ss like?
I bought a Rick Mayer seat last year for my 07 FJR. First off I want to say I think its a great product with very good craftsmanship. I bet his seats have a 95% satisfaction rate with his customers. I understand how the breaking period works and it makes good sense to me. I have not doubt almost all the customers who have initial discomfort, settle in to a comfort zone with the seat after a break in period. I’m sure that once the correct shape is achieved after the breaking period, it works great for almost everyone.

But I am one of the 5% that could not get it too work good for. I don’t have much natural cushion on my @ss. I found the seat too hard and could not make it beyond 50 mile with out great pain. I had to add a Airhawk air filled seat cushion to find peace with my seat. The Airhawk cushion did take care of my but pain very well and my but feels great with day long rides. But now I move around a bit wile on top of the Airhawk cushion, and thats not the best way to ride.

I have read plenty of posts about the Russell Daylong seat, so I don’t need to use the search box to find and read more. I already know it is also an excellent well revered product with maybe the highest satisfaction rate in the motorcycle touring community.

I just have a simple question about the Russell Seat? And I’m not interested in the correct shape theory, that will not do it by it self for me. My question is, “Is the seat hard”? Its that simple. If I want a hard seat with good shape, I can get on old tractor seat and cover it with a 1/4 inch of foam and some vinyl. I don’t want another custom $600.00 dollar hard seat, even with the right shape. I want a soft cushy seat for my toosh. Good shape with softness is good also.

Any helpfull advice would be much appreciated.

P.S. Yes, I know how to use the boards search engine.

Well I have had a similar experience. I found this motorcycle seat shop at the motorcycle show in Indianapolis. I sat on one of his display seats and I was amazed! The guy works pretty much on his own and will make any seat the way you like it. I drove 2 hours through a snow storm to see the guy in person and explain exactly what I wanted in my seat. He showed me the "gel" cube system he uses and the different types of foam. I then looked at a different covering. He brought this ever so soft cowhide leather out of the back room. It smelled as good as it looks! He made my seat 4 inches wider and panned out. He then made my rear seat 2 inches wider. He is a small business man trying to make it in a small town! The total cost...$387 including the foam leather and the shipping!! The guy's name is Pat

www.ridenleather.com

I have a bony ass as well, but I've gotten along just fine with Corbins on both of my FJRs. Corbins are supposedly rock hard compared to other aftermarket seats, but I've never had the chance to try a seat from Sargent/Russell/either of the Meyer brothers.

The first ride on my 04 was a 600+ mile run home after flying in to pick it up, and while I took several 10-15 minute breaks during that trip I had no problems with monkey butt or muscle soreness at the end of the ride. First trip on my 07 was 400+ miles on the stock seat and my ass was "unhappy" at the end of the ride. I was squirming all over the place after the first two hours. The stock seat is much softer, but offers a lot less support than the Corbin. I wouldn't be averse to trying something that offers a middle ground between the two.

Last edited by a moderator:
But I am one of the 5% that could not get it too work good for.
I'm another one of the 5% for the RM seat. I've sent it back once and it still doesn't do it for me.
I am really concerned now. I sent my seat for the Bill Mayer Saddle group buy based on all of the people who say it is great. I found the stock seat rock hard and providing no support. This thread sounds like me with a boney ass. I am now worried that I will be one of the 5%ers for the Bill Mayer saddle. I hope that this is not $500 down the drain.

I am really concerned now. I sent my seat for the Bill Mayer Saddle group buy based on all of the people who say it is great. I found the stock seat rock hard and providing no support. This thread sounds like me with a boney ass. I am now worried that I will be one of the 5%ers for the Bill Mayer saddle. I hope that this is not $500 down the drain.

Different seat makers, although they are brothers. Rick Mayer is up near Redding (Anderson) in NoCal; Rocky AKA Bill Mayer is closer to the central coast and SoCal in the Santa Barbara/Ojai region.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was squirming after 1 hour on the stock saddle and finally ordered a russel saddle. I think the big difference is the tractor seat. It did seem hard at first, but no butt burn!!! :lol:

And as for no ass, try them jeans with ass cheek inserts. Maybe on sale at the harley dealership :D

Latest posts