Harley 100hp club???

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Getting HP out of a Vtwin is not all that difficult and is not nearly as expensive as HD makes it. I took a Yamaha Warrior, 102 CI stock and for about $1500 I built it to 108 CI by using the Orient Express 108 kit. That includes cams, jugs, springs, valves, etc. as well as a Power Commander and a set of street sweeper pipes with torque cones in them. When I was done it dyno'd at 113 HP and 125 ftlbs torque at the rear wheel. Through three gears I could hang with or beat anything on the road. The looks on the faces of the squids when they actually had to work to beat a raked, fat tire cruiser in a stop light race was priceless!

That being said, I sold that bike and came over to the "light" of modern, in-line, "performance from the factory" engines. There is no comparison, but I agree with the others, that it all comes down to what floats your boat. Just don't try to pretend that your bike is bad ass. Been there, done that, and have the receipts to prove it and I know better now.

I have to say, my buddy who is a sales manager at the local HD let me take his FLHX out for a spin and I was quite surprised......

Surprised that is, how quickly I redlined it in first gear, and I was only doin like 30 mph.... I'm like.... Thats it...????? all the rest of the gears, same thing.... :(

But on the other hand, it was one of the most comfortable bikes I have ever ridden, I could ride it for a full day with no fatigue whatsoever, it was just so laid back and pleasant like a recliner. I would have no problem owning one for myself If I had the ability to take really long road trips... When I went down to Miami, my buddy and I rented some Harleys as I was getting itchy being winter 'n all where I live, we drove all they way down to through the keys. One of the best rides I ever had. But dam if they aint slow.... :) I sure didn't get the Adrenalin rush like I do from the FJR, but I still had a grin from ear to ear....

I guess I'm just a speed freak, but there are times when long distance comfort is what its all about, and alot of HD's got it spades....

I would have no problems owning one for just that reasons....

Last edited by a moderator:
Well all I know is that no matter how much HP they put out the new ones are governed. My buddy at work can't get his HD over 100 MPH.When he went back and asked the salesman why, he said he would have to put an aftermarket ECU in it. He also said that he may be able to get another 15 to 20 MPH out of it. Wooooooopy!!!!
I believe most large cruisers, regardless of manufacturer, have top speeds between 100-110 mph. Even the 2300cc Triumph Rocket III Touring is electronically limited to 115 mph. And that beast makes over 150 lb-ft of torque at 2000 rpm! Power peaks at just over 100 hp.

FWIW, most folks here probably realize that torque and horsepower are linearly related, with horsepower being equal to the torque in foot pounds multiplied by the engine speed in rpm and divided by 5250.
Only at a given rpm; that does NOT apply to peak power or peak torque. For example, a GSX-R600 makes a peak of 100 HP and 45 lb-ft of torque. A BMW R1200RT makes 110 HP and 85 lb-ft. A Triumph Rocket III Touring makes 107 HP and 154 lb-ft. All similar peak horsepower figures with wildly different peak torque.

FWIW, most folks here probably realize that torque and horsepower are linearly related, with horsepower being equal to the torque in foot pounds multiplied by the engine speed in rpm and divided by 5250.
Only at a given rpm; that does NOT apply to peak power or peak torque. For example, a GSX-R600 makes a peak of 100 HP and 45 lb-ft of torque. A BMW R1200RT makes 110 HP and 85 lb-ft. A Triumph Rocket III Touring makes 107 HP and 154 lb-ft. All similar peak horsepower figures with wildly different peak torque.
Sorry, but at any rpm, the torque and horsepower are related by that formula.

It is true that the torque and horsepower curves don't necessarily peak at the same time. Torque is directly related to brake mean effective pressure, and brake mean effective pressure tends to follow volumetric efficiency. Once you've got your brake torque curve (which you get directly off a good brake based dyno), then you calculate the horsepower curve from the formula.

Was at work the other day when a co-worker and Harley owner started talking about the local 100hp club. I had actually never heard of this, so I asked him what it was … as he explained it, it’s an elite group of HD owners that have modified their bikes to such an extent as to reach the lofty heights of 100hp. .. The look on his face was great, especially since he knows I paid half what he purchased his bike for.
I know that look. Buddy up here went and spent 50G's on a Screamin' Chicken Fat Boy. Then spent even more money having it breathed on more heavily.

You should have seen his face when my bone stock Mean Streak (1600 Kawi Vtwin) handed his lunch to him.

Sorry, but at any rpm, the torque and horsepower are related by that formula.

It is true that the torque and horsepower curves don't necessarily peak at the same time. Torque is directly related to brake mean effective pressure, and brake mean effective pressure tends to follow volumetric efficiency. Once you've got your brake torque curve (which you get directly off a good brake based dyno), then you calculate the horsepower curve from the formula.
His point, I think, is that knowing the peak torque does not give you any indication of the peak horespower, without knowing a whole lot more about the engine. The shape of the torque curve is very important. Is it wide and flat, or does it have a low peak and fall off steadily? And how many RPM is the engine capable of. In his example, the 600 makes power from lower torque via screaming revs. The Rocket III makes only adequate horsepower from thumping torque because it's limited by lower RPMs. Similarly, most people are surprised to learn that the 800 or 900 horsepower Formula One racing engines only put out 200-250 lb-ft of torque. The power comes from revs; 19,000 RPM!

The ratio of torque to horsepower does apply, including at peak values, it just doesn't tell you where those peaks are.

For those who don't know this formula, or are unconvinced of the torque/horsepower relationship, look at it this way, with no units.

In physics, power is the amount of work done in an amount of time. Write it as power = work / time.

And work is a force multiplied by how far an object is moved, or displaced. Write it as Work = Force * Displacement.

So: Power = force * displacement / time.

Turns out that Displacement / Time is the same thing as Velocity.

So: Power = Force * Velocity.

In an engine, power is expressed as horsepower, the force is lb-ft of torque, and the velocity is revolutions per minute. Which means:

Horspower = Torque * RPM.

The 5250 in the formula is a factor that lets the units cancel out correctly when talking in Horsepower and lb-ft. It's a different number for metric units, kilowatts and newton-meters, the number is 9549.

Last edited by a moderator:
His point, I think, is that knowing the peak torque does not give you any indication of the peak horespower, without knowing a whole lot more about the engine. The shape of the torque curve is very important. Is it wide and flat, or does it have a low peak and fall off steadily? And how many RPM is the engine capable of. In his example, the 600 makes power from lower torque via screaming revs. The Rocket III makes only adequate horsepower from thumping torque because it's limited by lower RPMs. Similarly, most people are surprised to learn that the 800 or 900 horsepower Formula One racing engines only put out 200-250 lb-ft of torque. The power comes from revs; 19,000 RPM!
The ratio of torque to horsepower does apply, including at peak values, it just doesn't tell you where those peaks are.

For those who don't know this formula, or are unconvinced of the torque/horsepower relationship, look at it this way, with no units.

In physics, power is the amount of work done in an amount of time. Write it as power = work / time.

And work is a force multiplied by how far an object is moved, or displaced. Write it as Work = Force * Displacement.

So: Power = force * displacement / time.

Turns out that Displacement / Time is the same thing as Velocity.

So: Power = Force * Velocity.

In an engine, power is expressed as horsepower, the force is lb-ft of torque, and the velocity is revolutions per minute. Which means:

Horspower = Torque * RPM.

The 5250 in the formula is a factor that lets the units cancel out correctly when talking in Horsepower and lb-ft. It's a different number for metric units, kilowatts and newton-meters, the number is 9549.
:unsure: :blink: :dribble:

You guys are getting way beyond me. Think I'll go for a ride and test test this "horsepower thing.

Truthfully, FJR's are not all that gawd-aweseme powerful. For 2009, the FJR makes less horsepower than both the 2009 Councours 14 and the 2009 K1300GT. And if you want to talk really nice horsepower, the Busa and ZX-14 both make around 195hp at the crank and each weighs about 100lbs less than an FJR.

The FJR runs nice and makes good power, however, it is by no means a class leader and those who have ridden large open class bikes or the lastest 1000cc sport bikes - an FJR will seem portly and sluggish.

I know, I know.. There is going to be a group of you that says "how much power do you need" and "145hp is plenty" - yada, yada, yada. I dont want to hear it :rolleyes: Go buy yourself a 650cc Bergman and be done with it.

Random thoughts...

Truthfully, FJR's are not all that gawd-aweseme powerful. For 2009, the FJR makes less horsepower than both the 2009 Councours 14 and the 2009 K1300GT. And if you want to talk really nice horsepower, the Busa and ZX-14 both make around 195hp at the crank and each weighs about 100lbs less than an FJR.
The FJR runs nice and makes good power, however, it is by no means a class leader and those who have ridden large open class bikes or the lastest 1000cc sport bikes - an FJR will seem portly and sluggish.

I know, I know.. There is going to be a group of you that says "how much power do you need" and "145hp is plenty" - yada, yada, yada. I dont want to hear it :rolleyes: Go buy yourself a 650cc Bergman and be done with it.

Random thoughts...
Companies are always going ot leaf-frog one another in the power and performace arena. The FJR was leading for many year and I am guessing the next FJR in 2010 will address these issues.

I find the Harley bashing quite amusing. I don't understand why people have to crap on anyone else's motorcycle. We should be happy that other people partake in our sport. Who really cares how many horsepower or how much torque a motor puts out and how much it costs to get there. If someone wants to spend $2K , $3K or $10K on their motorcycles then it is their business. I think life would be real boring if everyone only rode FJRs. There would be no diversification and we all would be drones. If people feel like they have to bash other peoples motorcycles then they are small people.
I have an 06 Harley Road Glide in my garage along with an 08 Harley Low Rider and an 07 FJR. All three are totally different bikes and I like each of them for what they are. I have put a lot of money into the Road Glide (over 5K in the motor) and have 20,000 miles on it. I have personally taken the motor apart and built it myself. It was a great learning experience for me. I can honestly say I know how that bike runs and if something goes wrong I know I can fix it.

I will admit that Harley's technology is not the most current and there are some idiots out there that ride them, but that can be said for ALL brands and ALL types and styles.

If your buddy wants to exceed the 100 hp club more power too him. The real key is exceeding 100 HP and 100 ft lbs of TQ.

I was a HD snob for years. I had sportsters, a heritage, a fat boy and 2 road kings. I put all the requisite hp add-ons, ie: cams ignitions, pistons, pipes, carb, blah, blah, blah.

I loved all my HD's but always wondered why I spent so much for so little. I mean they look awesome but I'd get smoked on the highway by some kid on a shadow 750 or something "uncool"

I think it's a fun rite of passage of HD ownership to customize your bike to make it yours. On the flip side, you'll look cool but still get smoked by an fjr that has abs and twice the hp for half the price. and not for anything, but half these guys spend more time talking about the new chrome doo dad they just bought than they ever do riding it. you guys ride.

I still admire HD bikes but the fjr does everything better, albeit with a lot less chrome.

ride safe.

Ya don't needs a whole lotta horsepower to propel yurself from one bar to tha next. With all the money those guys spend on mods and chrome, they must not have enough leftover to buy a muffler.