Harley Down

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
re the HD guy's concern over his machine vs. his own well-being: Ever hear about the lawyer/BMW owner who got his open door clipped right off by a passing truck, and he was sooo upset over the damage to the car, and finally the investigating cop interrupts him to say "My God, man, how can you be so upset about your car when the truck ripped your whole ARM right off??!!" And the Lawyer holds up his arm and looks, and yells "My GOD, WHERE'S MY ROLEX?" So ok, I guess I thought the thread was getting a little heavy there.

You know, the thing about Harley is that a lot of people get them as their first bike. Hell, I bought a Sportster as my first bike in 20 years! I didn't buy until after I had my MC endorsement and had passed the MSF course, but, it was a mistake.

I should've bought a V-Star 650. Harley doesn't make a beginner's bike, and you really have to force it to do what you want it to do. It certainly isn't a forgiving bike.

But, so many people get one, not knowing that it's a tougher beast to tame.

I don't get the refusal to wear safety gear, though. I was ATGATT from day 1.

You know, the thing about Harley is that a lot of people get them as their first bike. Hell, I bought a Sportster as my first bike in 20 years! I didn't buy until after I had my MC endorsement and had passed the MSF course, but, it was a mistake.
I should've bought a V-Star 650. Harley doesn't make a beginner's bike, and you really have to force it to do what you want it to do. It certainly isn't a forgiving bike.

But, so many people get one, not knowing that it's a tougher beast to tame.

I don't get the refusal to wear safety gear, though. I was ATGATT from day 1.

[devil's advocate]

A Hardley Sportster would be a better 1st bike than an FJR. There are a few folks on here that bought FJRs as first bikes, or first bikes after a long hiatus.

[/devil's advocate]

:devil:

[devil's advocate]
A Hardley Sportster would be a better 1st bike than an FJR. There are a few folks on here that bought FJRs as first bikes, or first bikes after a long hiatus.

[/devil's advocate]

:devil:
*shrug*

And an FJR would be a better first bike than a ZX-14 Ninja.

Neither one is a good first bike.

You can lean a Harley over farther than you think, you just have to not reactto the grinding noise till you get the parts properly clearanced.

Properlyclearancedfootboard.jpg
I LOVE IT! SO TRUE!The sparkies are awesome to watch but so many HD riders are 50+ and havent ridden since 20+.I have a buddy that is a die hard HD rider but has taken several advanced rider courses.He scares the living crap out of me the way he corners that bagger

I dunno, I think the ego thing precludes many from looking for riding help/assistance when they "use to ride a dirt bike" (in 1972 on a Honda CT 70 with maybe 15hp).

I just don't take joy in seeing anyone crash, regardless of the ride they are on - that's bad juju.

One of our customers has a Road King & I went on a couple of afternoon rides with him. He really had crappy riding skills even tho he had been riding 'for years'. The 'for years' part is real questionable when you only put on 1000 miles or less a year. Anyway he took it as a major insult when I suggested he take the MSF course, even tho I made a big point about how much it improved my riding & how I wished they offered it 40 years ago.

Bottom line we didn't ride together any more. Last August he came in all road rashed up & was bragging how he 'laid it down to avoid an accident'. He just never got it that that was the accident (and still doesn't to this day).

One of our customers has a Road King & I went on a couple of afternoon rides with him. He really had crappy riding skills even tho he had been riding 'for years'. The 'for years' part is real questionable when you only put on 1000 miles or less a year. Anyway he took it as a major insult when I suggested he take the MSF course, even tho I made a big point about how much it improved my riding & how I wished they offered it 40 years ago.
Bottom line we didn't ride together any more. Last August he came in all road rashed up & was bragging how he 'laid it down to avoid an accident'. He just never got it that that was the accident (and still doesn't to this day).

Know a guy that ass ended a car, hit his rear brakes twice before impact. I asked if he used his front brake, said he didn't have time.

Most folks I rode with couldn't corner or stop up to the limits of their bike, afraid of their front brake and afraid of laying it over in a corner. I took the advanced MSF course, great course.

Know a guy that ass ended a car, hit his rear brakes twice before impact. I asked if he used his front brake, said he didn't have time.Most folks I rode with couldn't corner or stop up to the limits of their bike, afraid of their front brake and afraid of laying it over in a corner. I took the advanced MSF course, great course.
Didn't have time? Yeah...

It's WAY faster grabbing a handful of front than moving the foot up, finding the pedal applying the brake, skidding hundreds of feet... you get the point.

Guess which brake I hit instinctively in a panic stop? If there is one brake to NOT use in an emergency stop it would be the foot brake.

But I have a feeling I'm preaching to the choir here...

I do not see how that is sooooo funny.Not everyone can ride as good as you guys who make fun of the others.

I know that most Harley riders are not great riders, but do you all have to be so mean?

Thats the funniest thing I've read in a month.

:yahoo:

I do not see how that is sooooo funny.Not everyone can ride as good as you guys who make fun of the others.

I know that most Harley riders are not great riders, but do you all have to be so mean?

Yeah, its our nature to belittle Harley riders. :yu:

It's like Cats and Dogs. :withstupidsmiley:

Where's Odot? :gun:

Last edited by a moderator: