Has anyone done a conversion to Projector HID's?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dr. Jekyll

Reaction score
If so can you provide some feedback? If attempted but unsuccessful can you describe the challenges and problems? I would like to convert my headlights to HID's and preferably the projectors. Future Vision HID has several projector sizes listed in their section for motorcycles. Thank you for your input.

Curious on why you would consider the projectors. My understanding is that the projectors are preferred if you have an older bike that has a less than ideal light housing (i.e. think older round single headlights....). There is really no need for a projector style in modern bikes with highly advanced reflector housings like the FJR.

I would counter that the FJR headlamp bucket is hardly ideal, either for HID's or the stock halogen bulbs.

It isn't the worst out there, the low beam pattern is actually quite good with a nice sharp cut-off, but the high beam pattern sucks moist ass cheese. It leaves a huge illumination void in the foreground ( zero to about 40 feet out) any time that you switch to high beams. I found this out a few years ago when I first upgraded to telescopic HIDs. (I've since switched back to halogens)

I don't know if this can be resolved by a projector bucket, but the stock ones could stand some improvement. Most people do that via aux lighting, which isn't ideal for the alternator usage.

I would counter that the FJR headlamp bucket is hardly ideal, either for HID's or the stock halogen bulbs.

It isn't the worst out there, the low beam pattern is actually quite good with a nice sharp cut-off, but the high beam pattern sucks moist ass cheese. It leaves a huge illumination void in the foreground ( zero to about 40 feet out) any time that you switch to high beams. I found this out a few years ago when I first upgraded to telescopic HIDs. (I've since switched back to halogens)

I don't know if this can be resolved by a projector bucket, but the stock ones could stand some improvement. Most people do that via aux lighting, which isn't ideal for the alternator usage.
Fred,

Good point on the hi beam.... I had forgotten that the hi beam is not as "advance" as the low. I use aux lights (Gen II advantage among many others.... :rolleyes: ) . However, compared to my previous 1992 Yamaha FJ1200..... the FJR headlamp is very advanced. It is on older bikes which I have seen projectors used. I use a low beam HID as I have heard from others that the Hi/Low HIDs are less than perfect.... Not sure that the projectors would be any better in a Hi/low combination...

Oh that huge black hole when the high beam is on - I bought a set of LED aux lights just to fill that hole. Now I am very happy :)

The projectors will give off a cleaner spread pattern and cutoff as opposed to the halogens which are tied to the reflector. I believe the HID's will offer a much pure light source but ultimately the projectors will have the cleanest look and function. I live in Hawaii where I'll hardly ever use the highs and since we have a safety inspection every year I won't pass with a low only install of the HID's.

Curious on why you would consider the projectors. My understanding is that the projectors are preferred if you have an older bike that has a less than ideal light housing (i.e. think older round single headlights....). There is really no need for a projector style in modern bikes with highly advanced reflector housings like the FJR.

What, like this?

labor6.jpg

The biggest issue I have now is that the cut-off is so crisp, I'm either blinding oncoming drivers or loose a lot of my distance lighting depending on whether I'm braking or accelerating.

Here is my original thread from a couple years ago. I never got around to posting finished photos.

Last edited by a moderator:
Check my original post, there are more photos and comparisons to the stock light output.

Got it, very nice set up. No finished pics though :blink: How do you like the dual lenses? If you had to do it all over again how would you proceed? The make 3 different sized Bi-Xenons now. I wonder if all would fit.

Check my original post, there are more photos and comparisons to the stock light output.

There are some photos of my bike in finished form floating around, they just never got posted in that thread. They were taken at WFO, so you might find them in the WFO area (2009's meet).

I like the setup I've got, but wish I had more high-beam. The high beam I've got is brighter than stock, but not as bright as my low-beam so it seems dark when I turn it on. I used those particular projectors because I had them laying around. The bi-xenon projector I used is a Bosch E46, and it barely fits in the left side housing. I don't think one would fit on the right side where I put the Hella low-beam only projector. You'll have to find a smaller unit to fit on the right side if you want bi-xenon. The battery would interfere with the rear of the unit, where the lamp connectors are located.

Being a cheapass, I'd probably do it exactly the same again. If I was willing to invest more money, I'd probably be looking at some TL or S2000 projectors. I've heard they are smaller, but never seen them first hand.

It isn't the worst out there, the low beam pattern is actually quite good with a nice sharp cut-off, but the high beam pattern sucks moist ass cheese. It leaves a huge illumination void in the foreground ( zero to about 40 feet out) any time that you switch to high beams.
I know this is off topic, but:
If you need the high beams on, why would you be looking that close to the front of the bike? Even if you saw something, you'd be moving too fast to avoid it. If you're moving slow enough to avoid it, you don't need the high beams on.

Quite a lot of single-vehicle accidents are caused by riders not looking far enough ahead.

It isn't the worst out there, the low beam pattern is actually quite good with a nice sharp cut-off, but the high beam pattern sucks moist ass cheese. It leaves a huge illumination void in the foreground ( zero to about 40 feet out) any time that you switch to high beams.
I know this is off topic, but:
If you need the high beams on, why would you be looking that close to the front of the bike? Even if you saw something, you'd be moving too fast to avoid it. If you're moving slow enough to avoid it, you don't need the high beams on.

Quite a lot of single-vehicle accidents are caused by riders not looking far enough ahead.
You are correct in that you should not be focusing on the foreground, but you do still want to have the option of being able to see what's there.

Some things are just not visible at > 50 ft. at night For example, the condition of the road surface that you are riding on.

When there is a lighting void for the foreground you don't have the option of flicking your eyes down or picking things up in your peripheral vision.

Last edited by a moderator:
I switched to Silverstone ultra's as my bulb life seems to hang around 10k miles and I figured if they're going to die I could at least for a small fee improve the lights. I noticed that with the brights on there was less light close in. The difference in the different Silverstone's and stock was brightness but the "hole" always was there. After some really dark tree lined highways in the midwest I installed some Trail Tech HID MR16 and discovered the spot (versus flood) lights were more other car friendly and really filled in the "hole". I have them aimed down more that I would prefer but they really do the job and rarely do I get flashed. they are installed on Garaulds mirror mounts