Hawaii - Bike rental in Waikiki

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Geezer

Parsimonious Curmudgeon
Reaction score
I am planning a trip to Hawaii next July with my wife. We'll be staying in Waikiki. Rather than rent a car I'd like to rent a couple of bikes. My wife and I both ride and I'd prefer two bikes rather than ride double, though double is an option. I've never been to Hawaii before so I'm pretty much ignorant about road conditions, distances between places and whether or not I should plan on taking the bikes to other islands while we're there.

Can anybody recommend a rental place?

Do they typically provide helmets or should we take ours with us?

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks,

Greg

I am planning a trip to Hawaii next July with my wife. We'll be staying in Waikiki. Rather than rent a car I'd like to rent a couple of bikes. My wife and I both ride and I'd prefer two bikes rather than ride double, though double is an option. I've never been to Hawaii before so I'm pretty much ignorant about road conditions, distances between places and whether or not I should plan on taking the bikes to other islands while we're there.
Can anybody recommend a rental place?

Do they typically provide helmets or should we take ours with us?

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks,

Greg
Last time I was there they were very very expensive IMO. Something like $500 a week for a Sportster. It also rains alot and getting caught on the wet side of the Island in a downpour might be no fun. Maybe a nice convertable is an option? Maybe rent bikes for one day or something. Anyway...hers a link...

island bikes

In Waikiki, there are alot of places to rent bikes, scooters and bicycles. It is expensive, but riding on Oahu may not be the best place to ride, unless its heading to the otherside of the island. Many of riders keep the option of riding only on the Big Island, with is long sweeping roads, and very little traffic. Personally knowing all the islands, stay with the rental car on the more populated, touristy, cities, and rent a bike on the big island.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll be there in April, and was already looking around.
This site, Big Kahuna Rentals was the best option I've found so far, judging by the websites.
Thanks to everyone who responded so far.

Slappy, the big kahuna is the same place I found. Renting an R6 for a week appeals to me, but it sure is a lot of money. Based on the information I have so far I'll probably rent a cage. Maybe I can get a Wrangler with a soft top or some kind of convertible. Plenty of time to look around and decide. Are you Mrs. Slappy going for a vacation, or is it a business trip for you?

I've rented and rode in Hawaii. It was pretty disapointing for me. I rented a Harley once and a clapped out R6 another time, but it didn't make much difference. You ride around in traffic all the time. Not a good experience for me.

I'm in Honolulu right now, working (?)> It's a dirty job but somebody has to do it. There are tons of places to rent a Hawg. Couple on Ala Mona Blvd. by the Ilikai, and a bunch more on Kalakawa - runs right through the heart of Wakiki. I rented one last year - was around $180 for the day if I remember correctly. Rode up to Wiamea and watched 20-25 footers drop in at the pipline, awesome. Rent one - you'll have a ball. Aloha -