Haynes Service Manual for 01-13 model is Available!Covers AE/AS models.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just been having a look through. Seems pretty good at first glance, well laid out & indexed like all Haynes manuals. Unfortunately they seem to have taken everything from the original manufacturers specs.

Oil drain bolt torque 43 Nm (~31 ft/lbs).

Don't mention tying the cam chain to the sprockets when doing the CCT or valve shims.

Can't understand their method of doing the rear suspension relay arm - they recommend doing it on the side stand with a jack on the right hand side to take the weight off the rear suspension!! Sounds like a recipe for trouble to me..............

In spite of that still worth having one for the pictures (sadly black/white) and step by step instructions. Just remember to check out the forum BEFORE you start on any major maintenance.

About the oil drain bolt torque,all these nine years where i have the bike,always i tighten the bolt at 43Nm as the manual writes.

The threads are in excellent condition like brand new..!I have read some reviews about stripped threads..I don't know why they stripped..?!

Mine after nine years are in really excellent condition...

About the oil drain bolt torque,all these nine years where i have the bike,always i tighten the bolt at 43Nm as the manual writes.The threads are in excellent condition like brand new..!I have read some reviews about stripped threads..I don't know why they stripped..?!

Interesting............ 43Nm may be the correct torque for a bolt of this size, but should only be applied when you are intending to apply a clamping force, not when merely trying to get a seal.

Do you carefully clean and dry the threads before tightening?

That would make a significant difference as most (up to 90%) of the torque will be taken up in overcoming frictional losses at the bolt face and threads. If these are lubricated then all bets are off..................

Most people (including me) use ~20 ft/lbs (27 Nm). I have never had a leak or had one come loose - yet!

About the oil drain bolt torque,all these nine years where i have the bike,always i tighten the bolt at 43Nm as the manual writes.The threads are in excellent condition like brand new..!I have read some reviews about stripped threads..I don't know why they stripped..?!

Interesting............ 43Nm may be the correct torque for a bolt of this size, but should only be applied when you are intending to apply a clamping force, not when merely trying to get a seal.

That would make a significant difference as most (up to 90%) of the torque will be taken up in overcoming frictional losses at the bolt face and threads. If these are lubricated then all bets are off..................

Most people (including me) use ~20 ft/lbs (27 Nm). I have never had a leak or had one come loose - yet!
''Do you carefully clean and dry the threads before tightening?''

Nope,the only thing i do is that i tighten the bolt in steps,15Nm,30Nm,43Nm...

But from what i have read,i think that i will tighten it less from 43Nm in the next oil change..I am afraid a bit really...The only thing that i don't like to see is,stripped threads in my engine..!

''Do you carefully clean and dry the threads before tightening?''

Nope,the only thing i do is that i tighten the bolt in steps,15Nm,30Nm,43Nm...

But from what i have read,i think that i will tighten it less from 43Nm in the next oil change..I am afraid a bit really...The only thing that i don't like to see is,stripped threads in my engine..!
FJRForum...Scaring users into compliance since 2005
punk.gif
(Plus or minus). Lol...

I don't even use a torque wrench on my oil drain plug. A little over hand tight works fine, and with the oil in the theads, who knows what the torque actually is. Then there is that whole crush washer argument...
weirdsmiley.gif

Latest posts