He Was A Great Labrador

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry Joseph, I know how much you loved that dog, anyone that sacrifices riding plans to take care of ol' Rustler really loves animals....Just don't go buy another puppy mate ! :eek:

Heaven's full of critters awaiting our arrival. Somehow knowing they're patiently waiting eases for me the fact that I will be joining them someday. Sorry for your temporary loss.

He's just my dog.

He is my other eyes that can see above the clouds;

My other ears that hear above the winds.

He has told me more than a thousand times over that I am his reason for being,

By the way he rests against my leg,

By the way he thumps his tail at my smallest smile,

By the way he shows his hurt when I leave without taking him.

I think it makes him sick with worry when he is not along to care for me.

When I am wrong, he is delighted to forgive.

When I am angry, he clowns to make me smile.

When I am happy, he is joy unbounded.

When I am a fool, he ignores it.

When I succeed, he brags.

Without him, I am only another person.

With him, I am all powerful.

He has taught me that the meaning of devotion is loyalty itself.

With him, I know the secret comfort and a private peace.

He has brought me understanding where before I was ignorant.

His head on my knee can heal my human hurts.

His presence by my side is protection against my fears of dark and unknown things.

He has promised to wait for me ... whenever ... wherever ...

In case I need him, and I expect I will, as I always have.

Who is he? He's just my dog!

Joe, I just saw this thread. I know the friendship you had with Rustler and the excellent thoughtful care he always received from you. I am truly sorry for his passing and your loss, he's left a void that will never fill. The hole in your heart is a measure of the relationship you shared and will become an altar, a quiet place you can visit to relive good memories. I've had two long-term 4-legged family members that are alive in their respective heart-shrines. They are as much a part of me as any human friend. What a special privilege to have had Rustler for that length of time (Toby, my red Dobie was 16).

Alas, it is my decision to not have another long term friend I will outlive. Too much pain in this man's heart coupled with the time I don't have. It wouldn't be fair to any animal or to me.

Rest assured you are in my thoughts as you work through the grieving process.

Joseph, you're a good human and Rustler was a great dog.

May you look back at the time you and Rustler spent, smile, and know that religion is a smile on a Labradors's face.

Don

He made it to almost 17! Amazing. Sweet as could be but tenacious as hell.

Thanks, again, to everyone for your thoughts and stories.

Some wonderful tales/tails.

Sorry to hear of you loss. Earlier today I was watching the basketball game when the phone rang. I get up to answer the phone and my pup jumps right up in my seat. Usually thats just a "get down" from me, but today I sat on the ottoman beside him while he dozed in my seat. Glad I did.

Remember Him Fondly.

So sorry to hear of your loss. Those of us who have loved and lost know exactly where you are at right now, and how tough it is. The ashes of my first two Dalmatians are less than three feet from me in my office, and will accompany me when I check out. It's the least I could do for them, for what they gave me. It'll get better for you, and that is what Rustler would have wanted.

So sorry to read this, Joseph. It's especially hard to take that kind of loss during the holiday season. I'm just glad that you and Rustler had one another for so long. There's surely a dog heaven from which he's remembering you, too.

He's just my dog.

He is my other eyes that can see above the clouds;

My other ears that hear above the winds.

He has told me more than a thousand times over that I am his reason for being,

By the way he rests against my leg,

By the way he thumps his tail at my smallest smile,

By the way he shows his hurt when I leave without taking him.

I think it makes him sick with worry when he is not along to care for me.

When I am wrong, he is delighted to forgive.

When I am angry, he clowns to make me smile.

When I am happy, he is joy unbounded.

When I am a fool, he ignores it.

When I succeed, he brags.

Without him, I am only another person.

With him, I am all powerful.

He has taught me that the meaning of devotion is loyalty itself.

With him, I know the secret comfort and a private peace.

He has brought me understanding where before I was ignorant.

His head on my knee can heal my human hurts.

His presence by my side is protection against my fears of dark and unknown things.

He has promised to wait for me ... whenever ... wherever ...

In case I need him, and I expect I will, as I always have.

Who is he? He's just my dog!
So sorry to read about Rascal.

Tree Doc, I'd forgotten this one. After a year of strokes and seizures, we had to put Happy down December 17.

She graced us with her presence for nearly 16 years and I'm crying again.

f43afefb.jpg

7b6b6adb.jpg

So sorry to hear about your loss. Dogs really are such a big part of what makes life worth living.

The cruelest part of that deal is that they must go on, ahead of us

Joann and I have shared our home with a long line of animals, both dogs and cats. In the past 2 months Joann has had to put down two of her kitties, both having outlived their bodies. It doesn't make it any easier, or the grief any less.

Our current housemate labbys are snoozing away on the office "dog sofa" right behind me.

Think I'll give 'em both a good pat right now.

Petey:

2326824330098858932S500x500Q85.jpg

Charlie:

2871577010098858932S500x500Q85.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Joseph, MsNASCAR and I are sorry for Rustlers' passing. We've had the privilage of meeting him during the B-B-Q with Armand a couple years back. Rustler was a great friend and a longtime faithful companion, with many shared memories.

It is no mystery to me why we enter into the contract with dogs that we do. The love overcomes the pain, always.