Head Shake-Not mine, the bike

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OBFJR

Reaction score
Question, I was leaving my neighborhood the other day at relatively slow speed (40'ish) and removed both hands from the bars to adjust something and noticed a headshake start to generate. I immediatly grabbed the bars, got on a straight section of road and tried again. What I found is that the shake starts with small oscillations and gets gradually more severe until I grab the bars and stop it. I feel sure it would eventually result in a tank slapper.

It doesn't seem to do it at higher speeds, although I've been a bit reluctant to give it a thorough test. Bike has 4200 miles on it, tires look good, no noticeable balance or steering symptoms. Anyone have any ideas, other than the obvious...don't take both hands off the bars!

Bob

My first thought would be the tires. Although they may not appear worn, upon closer inspection you may discover some cupping of the tread which would cause this. And certain tread patterns, most prevalent in the Avon have been reported to shake at certain speeds. The head bearing torque would be my next suggestion. Do a search on this. There is a LOT of information on just this subject. Just do some site searches of the "Technical" section using different search criteria.

Lookie here, this was yielded from a fast search. dial 1-800-afraidtosearch

Oh, just kidding about the afraid part. But seriously... try searching... you may like it.

Heidi

Last edited by a moderator:
What type of tires you got in it? Avons are known to do this, but usually at 15-20mph.
+1, though Factory Metz, can do it too... A lot of bikes have a little head shake around ~40 on decel, it usually gets worse as the tires wear.

I have a little headshake with the new Storms, but nothing terrible, now worse than the little bit I had with the Metz prior.

Also, check your head bearings just to be sure there isn't any play. If you've not adjusted them on your 06, it may be about time.

My first thought would be the tires. Although they may not appear worn, upon closer inspection you maydiscover some cupping of the tread which would cause this. Also, your head bearings would be my other suggestion. Do a search on this. There is a LOT of information on just this subject. Just do some site searches of the "Technical" section using different search criteria.
Lookie here, this was yielded from a fast search. dial 1-800-afraidtosearch

Oh, just kidding about the afraid part. But seriously... try searching... you may like it.

Heidi

My bad on the search part, whap, whap whap. (Sounds of chain being slapped on my back) I'll do better.

To answer the earlier question, OEM Metz's

As long as I keep the front tire at 42 psi the shake is minimal. Tire (Metz Z6) was cupping at 38 psi, but is slowly correcting itself now that I'm running higher pressure in it. I also keep the rear at 40 psi solo and 42 when loaded. I weigh 230ish and tend to ride with my weight forward, if that helps. The shake on mine is most apparent from 50 to 40 mph while decelerating.

David

Got the shakes too! Decelerating 40MPH downhill shaking the "numb" out after 12mi. of twisting downhill. I must say it was disconcerting the first time it happened. Now I got brand new Michelins :rolleyes: I'll see how it goes. For the most part it is best to keep at least one hand on at ALL times.

My 06A does the same thing, I just put new tires on so I'll check it again this weekend. I also noticed it does not do it when power is on, using cruise with hands off.

Checked for shake w/new tires and couldn't find it :yahoo: I like these Pilot Roads They feel nice in the corners too!
It'll happen.

Check and retorque your head bearings. Most overlooked maintenance item ever.

Never had a head shake before with the metzlers (std from new 06). Had steel belt starting to show on rear tyre 10 000 km's (6000 miles). Could not get metzler rear. Put a new set of bridgestone 020 on front and rear. ok hands off at 70mph head shake is bad on de acceleration at about 50 mph. I assumed that it was not balanced properly