Heading South

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Day 12, the fun stuff is over. Leaving the North Rim late yesterday I made it to Richfield UT before the heat made me stop.
Today, no photos, just interstate, construction zones and temps between 90 & 100.
Ended this day in Twin Falls.

-Steve

Day last
To my friend Bonami00.
This is a classic spudnut.
View attachment 7720
Here are a bunch of other types of spudnuts
View attachment 7721
This is the spudnut story

View attachment 7722
There may be only one place on the planet to obtain a spudnut. Who wouldnt stop?
More tomorrow, too wasted to write more now.
-Steve
Thanks for sharing your trip! Great story and pictures. You're inspiring me to get out on a similar journey. Safe travels home!

Some final thoughts -
The heat was a real challenge. The FJR has too much weather protection when its 95F+. At least for me. Standing on the pegs at speed so some air could run thru my gear was helpful.
A literal lifesaver -IMG_3615.jpeg
This half gal water jug sits on the passenger peg, secured with the small Roc-strap. The idea isnt mine, another forumite posted a rig like this with hose and bite valve, sorry, I cant recall who. A few times I had to fill this twice in the same day.

The high elevation was another factor, combined with the high temps. I think I was 7 or 8 days in a row above 7500’ in elevation, 2 or 3 above 8500’. I live at 270’, like 5 blocks from an ocean beach.

Total trip mileage was 4354, 47.12mpg overall, which seems high but I did the math twice, so I think its right. North Bend WA had the most expensive fuel, $4.499, and Green River WY was the least expensive $3.189. Very little extra legal speed may have contributed to the mileage number.

Thx to all who came along for the ride and the positive comments.
Ride safe and enjoy the rest of the summer.
-Steve

Last edited:
Day last
To my friend Bonami00.
This is a classic spudnut.
View attachment 7720
Here are a bunch of other types of spudnuts
View attachment 7721
This is the spudnut story

View attachment 7722
There may be only one place on the planet to obtain a spudnut. Who wouldnt stop?
More tomorrow, too wasted to write more now.
-Steve
you've got me googling again , didn't know that those even existed, google says :
Potato doughnuts, sometimes called a Spudnut, are a type of doughnut, typically sweet, made with either mashed potatoes or potato starch instead of flour, the most common ingredient used for doughnut dough.
i am learning here every day new thing about USA :D

Thanks Steve and many others, you all changed my view on America, Canada and the people living on the other side of the Atlantic
:) . If one of you ever come to Belgium and nees a place to stay, our home is not a castle, but we have a spare room , and place for an extra FJR

cheers Steve, i' ll drink a Westvleteren beer on your health

Epic commentary Steve, and welcome home. Gonna bookmark this journey and add it to my bucket list.
Thinking of opening a Spidnut franchise…
—-David

you've got me googling again , didn't know that those even existed, google says :
Potato doughnuts, sometimes called a Spudnut, are a type of doughnut, typically sweet, made with either mashed potatoes or potato starch instead of flour, the most common ingredient used for doughnut dough.
i am learning here every day new thing about USA :D

Thanks Steve and many others, you all changed my view on America, Canada and the people living on the other side of the Atlantic
:) . If one of you ever come to Belgium and nees a place to stay, our home is not a castle, but we have a spare room , and place for an extra FJR

cheers Steve, i' ll drink a Westvleteren beer on your health
I think its a better doughnut. I didnt know about spudnuts until about 15 yrs ago. East coasters have no idea what you are talking about.
There are unfortunately still some un-cultured heathens living in Canada/America that cant tell the difference between a spudnut and a lug nut. I'll bet Belgium has a few as well. {whisper on} as a Canadian I can tell you that many Americans have no idea how beautiful and diverse America is. {whisper off} And many thx for the invite.
-Steve

I think its a better doughnut. I didnt know about spudnuts until about 15 yrs ago. East coasters have no idea what you are talking about.
There are unfortunately still some un-cultured heathens living in Canada/America that cant tell the difference between a spudnut and a lug nut. I'll bet Belgium has a few as well. {whisper on} as a Canadian I can tell you that many Americans have no idea how beautiful and diverse America is. {whisper off} And many thx for the invite.
-Steve
lol googled lug nut :p

Is there any chance you have your route highlighted on a map? The day to day was awesome, but an overview of your trip would be cool to see and help me plan one of my own!!
Thanks and thanks for taking the time to share your trip with all of us.

Is there any chance you have your route highlighted on a map? The day to day was awesome, but an overview of your trip would be cool to see and help me plan one of my own!!
Traveling, give me a couple of days, I have almost exactly what you are looking for.
-Steve

Traveling, give me a couple of days, I have almost exactly what you are looking for.
-Steve
Ok here goes.
The links are Google map route plans for each day before I left.
Some days played out exactly as planned and others didnt.
For example, didnt bother with Forest Gump Point, too hot (Day 6)
Also didnt bother listing the "there and back" days. Unless you live in southern BC, they are of no value.

Day 3
Day 4
Day 5
Day 6
Day 7
Day 8 , off the cuff day, no map
Day 9 Mesa Verde Tour
Day 10
Day 11 This route map does not include the journey on the other (south) fork of Cape Royal Rd to Angels Window, etc. Nor the shortened end of day.

Hope this is what you are looking for.
-Steve

Oops
Should have replied to this post. Coachpilot look at post # 56

-Steve

Nice ride report. I've done almost all of this in the past but most of it was not as warm, thankfully. Great memories. I'm hopefully headed just east / SE of you next month to explore a bit of BC and a lot of Washington for the first time.

Does SE mean Richland? Dont forget a Spudnut.
Are you going to get as far north as Mt Baker? The road to Artist Point will have you looking in your view mirror to see the road ahead.
There are lots of PNW forumites if you have BC/WA questions.
-Steve