Headlight Gaurds? Yes Or No?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OrangevaleFJR

R.I.P. Our FJR Riding Friend
Reaction score
Have headlight guards? Clear, or tinted? Do they work well? Do you recommend them? How many have had chipped headlights without them? Is there a negative impact to lighting?

For my second FJR I did spring for the clear CB headlight guards. Are they worth it? Maybe. They sure are more hassle to keep clean. I guess it depends on how likely you think you might be to break a headlight assembly. I thought the guards were cheap insurance but they do take extra effort to keep clean or to clean the headlights.

Not that I really do much of either...

I agree that the guards are a hassle but after trying to "polish" the lenses to remove the little pits that grow into big pits it's clear (no pun intended) that the guards are worth the effort...clear or tint? Anything that cuts down the available light isn't worth it. Trying running in open cattle range on a moonless night or avoiding a herd of antelope in Wyoming with less than adequate lighting. Must be the reason that auxillary lighting is so popular with LD riders. :)

Have headlight guards? Clear, or tinted? Do they work well? Do you recommend them? How many have had chipped headlights without them? Is there a negative impact to lighting?
I can not in good conscious recommend them.

Anything that detracts from putting precious lumens on the road is to be avoided. Does this make the stock setup more vulnerable? Maybe, but that's just another factor of risk management. To even reduce your light output for a potential incident (that may never happen) just doesn't seem to make statistical sense.

The above having been said.... note that my perspective is that of an Iron Butt rider that does a significant amount of night riding in some of the heaviest deer population in the country. Even clear (and clean) headlight guards reduce some amount of light.... tinted or dirty headlight guards, even more. Me, I want every frickin' lumen available to help illuminate the Forest Rats. :angry:

YMMV....

Last edited by a moderator:
Anything that detracts from putting precious lumens on the road is to be avoided. Does this make the stock setup more vunerable? Maybe, but that's just another favctor of risk management. To reduce your light output 100% for a potential incident (that may never happen) just doesn't seem to make statisical sense.
Then, too, a broken assembly provides no light at all or at best only half. If available lumens is reduced even 10% by clear covers I would be surprised.

I ride a large percentage of the time after dark and the awesome illumination of stock FJR headlights is not much reduced by clear, clean covers. I still am flashed to dim my low beams by oncoming drivers occasionally even after re-aiming.

If cleaning bugs is too much of a problem they can be removed in seconds.

Besides my Hella HIDs provide almost daytime visibility when necessary.

I have them, clear CBaileys. Have satisfied my own curiosity as to diminished lumens by removing them on a familiar dark stretch of county highway near me, after riding said stretch with them on. I could discern no apparent difference in output. This was on a moonless night, on blacktop with close shoulders , yellow striping, open and forested sections. They take the wear and tear well, and my headlights are like new. If the headlights themselves had to take the abuse, light output would eventually suffer, but at what point would a person spend several hundred dollars to replace them because of it? Most likely well beyond the point where they had badly deteriorated, if ever. But, with the covers, at $45 or so, restoring full brightness is easy and inexpensive. This is the argument that to me is the best reason to use them. I don't buy the argument that they make the light system difficult to clean, I mean, they soak up the dirt and bugs-pop 'em off, clean up, and pop on. The headlights remain almost spotless behind them. I have added a set of Hella driving lights relayed with the high beams, and have never had such beautiful nightime vision, to the degree where I'll never accept less again.

I have one piece from ventura. It has already saved the right side. There is a star/break about 3/4" round...I thing its a good idea... ;)

I must confess that Radman's explanation to me seemed a confluence of styles and effect as those so aptly demonstrated by Shakespeare as well as Aesop. Logic in the exacting definition of motivation driving clear vision clouded but perhaps a bit at first, but in the end kept clearer because of the lesser cost of it.

Damn...I've been reading Billy again...back to e-writing style!!!

DOH!

Really, while I certainly find no fault with the desire not to filter a single lumen, I also see the wisdom in Rad's approach. The extra lights certainly make up for any lumens lost to shields.

I suppose the most correct thing to do would be to periodically replace the stock lense, presumably before its condition became so degraded that it was worse than a new lense with the effectiveness reduced by a shield. Something about time, money and other intangibles makes me think that this approach would not be followed by the likes of me.

I think I'll go for clear shields and replace them every so often as needed.

Now I'll go start another thread about accessory lighting.

thanks all! Perhaps I should read some Clancy before I write in the forum again ;-)

Isn't there a product available that is a clear static cover plastic(M3?) you place on the lens cover? It won't stop a bloody mongrel size rock at high speed but it will stop that pitting etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thug, there is a guy here in town that custom fits the 3M to anything. Check locally for the same. I'm sure you'll find one.

Compare the price of a new pair of lights with lens covers

In uk that's GBP 300 versus GBP 20

I'm not prepared to take the risk

I also have the 3M plastic in my kit but I doubt if I'll use it - as has been said ok for small stones but little else although 3M may be able to prove otherwise. The kits are available on ebay

It's the same argument to me of radiator cover or not

Paul

01 fjr

I put on the 3M film that came with the Tankslapper kit, seems to work well-hasn't peeled up or off. Not sure what the lamps may look like once removed-if there will be any issue with the adhesive, but at this point I don't plan to remove it.

Having ridden street bikes since age 14, nearly 45 years and close to 800,000 miles on street bikes, and never having a broken headlamp, I think I'll forego headlamp guards. To each his own.

Lee in the Mountains of Northern California B)