Headlight Modulators

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am all for being more visiable, however, driving around with your headlight flashing its high beam on continuously is just stupid and honestly dangerous - for you and the people around you. About 95% of the people that see it are going to wonder what is wrong with you or your bike.
In general, I dont worry as much about people in front of me - I have some control over the direction I am moving. It's the people behind me that concern me the most. They are harder for me to see and harder for me to get away from - especially in traffic and congestion.
Please don't take offense, but I don't think you're the type of rider that I would ride with. You're completely reversed with the rest of the world.

I have modulators on all of my bikes. I think they are great and have had a lot less close calls. I usually run them on fast flash. It is done by beeping the horn 2X fast. The slow flash is the default and I think it does sometimes send odd messages to motorists like I am flashing it with the switch. I can turn it off if I am riding in a group so I don't annoy someone ahead of me. To do that a quick rock of the high/low beam switch does it. Many times a car will pull up alongside of me on the highway and try to tell me that my headlight is flashing- A sticker on the side of the helmet saying" Light flashing for safety" that can be read from a car alongside of you works nicely. It's hard to communicate with a full face helmet on. Lastly, my modulator came with a dot certification letter and I carry it on the bikes for the occasion when overzealous under educated cops pull me over for my "illegal lighting". I also have the "wig wag" brake light modulator. Both came from signal dynamics. They are a great company to deal with. If you install a brake light modulator and have an audiovox cruise, you may have to build a breakout box for your brake signal to the cruise. They seem to let a little voltage feedback and the cruise won't set. A simple relay worked for me.

TBW.

I am all for being more visiable, however, driving around with your headlight flashing its high beam on continuously is just stupid and honestly dangerous - for you and the people around you. About 95% of the people that see it are going to wonder what is wrong with you or your bike.
In general, I dont worry as much about people in front of me - I have some control over the direction I am moving. It's the people behind me that concern me the most. They are harder for me to see and harder for me to get away from - especially in traffic and congestion.
Please don't take offense, but I don't think you're the type of rider that I would ride with. You're completely reversed with the rest of the world.
No offense taken. I probably wouldnt like riding with you either. :)

Virtually all of the close calls I have had have been from drivers changing lanes or riding my ass to close. When you are riding in traffic at night (or the day) with stop lights, it can be difficult to get away from someone riding your ass.

You can create distance between you and people in front of you - at any speed and any traffic load. You also have much better vision in front of you. You can see tricky intersections and adjust your speed. You have a lot more control of what is going on in front of you versus the people behind you.

Some of you think I am crazy, however, I have been riding for a long time and that is where my issues come from. I have a variety of bikes ranging from the FJR to a ZX-14.

I have modulators on all of my bikes. I think they are great and have had a lot less close calls. I usually run them on fast flash. It is done by beeping the horn 2X fast. The slow flash is the default and I think it does sometimes send odd messages to motorists like I am flashing it with the switch. I can turn it off if I am riding in a group so I don't annoy someone ahead of me. To do that a quick rock of the high/low beam switch does it. Many times a car will pull up alongside of me on the highway and try to tell me that my headlight is flashing- A sticker on the side of the helmet saying" Light flashing for safety" that can be read from a car alongside of you works nicely. It's hard to communicate with a full face helmet on. Lastly, my modulator came with a dot certification letter and I carry it on the bikes for the occasion when overzealous under educated cops pull me over for my "illegal lighting". I also have the "wig wag" brake light modulator. Both came from signal dynamics. They are a great company to deal with. If you install a brake light modulator and have an audiovox cruise, you may have to build a breakout box for your brake signal to the cruise. They seem to let a little voltage feedback and the cruise won't set. A simple relay worked for me.
TBW.
Unfortunately, the way you operate your modulator is not within the scope of the law.

I understand your reasons for doing so, but the law on modulators in VERY clear. 4 flashes per second during daylight hours only - running double-rate is obviously outside those parameters.

If a LEO who knew stopped and ticketed you, you would have no valid defense for running 8 FPS because you are indeed running 'illegal lighting'. And, by the way technically-speaking flashing brake lights are illegal because it is against the law to have flashing red lights in most states.

Obviously, safety trumps legality in our minds, but you might want to be prepared for the consequeces in case you do get caught.

Last edited by a moderator:
ugh....mine dont flash the high beam 4 times a second. When I flip the switch to 'hi' it simply flashes my low beams so it's not that bad.

Like I said, I like mine on side roads and such where people tend to pull out in front of you. On the interstate I cant really see a use for them at least around here.

I didn't know much about modulators when I got back into riding 5 years ago, but it was one of first things I added to used/ebaybike I bought. I ride in heavily congested Northern VA, DC area, and want every tool I can to reduce my invisibility to other traffic.

1. I read that the most common cause of crashes involving other vehicles is oncoming people pulling out in front of you. With my modulator on, I rarely ever have that happen. I ride year round, maybe 10k/yr. I maybe have someone pull out once or twice per year. For that sake alone, I'm willing to be a tiny bit annoying to others.

2. The Signal Dynamics modulator I have can be disabled by flipping headlight from Hi-->Lo or Lo-->Hi and back within 1 sec. I know riding in groups the modulator can bug other riders. I usually ride solo, so it's not an issue for me. But I turn the modulator off in those situations:

- riding with other bikes

- stop/go traffic

- pulled up behind another vehicle at long stop light (even w/o modulator, turn from high beam to low)

3. Rarely have anyone point out to me that my headlight is flashing. Maybe twice a year? Even then, it's someone trying to point out a possible malfunction. I mention that it's a safety feature to make my bike more visible since bikes have a small visual footprint. Have not had a complaint. I don't see people jerking their head around, staring, taking their eyes off road to figure out what that flashing light is.

4. Have not had the situation (or excuse) of having another rider pull out, thinking I was flashing my lights to have them do so. Really, I don't see how you can confuse the two. I agree that people would use it to excuse their total cluelessness.)

5. I consider it a side benefit that I occasionally have someone thinking I'm a police officer and they pull into another lane to let me pass. Thank you for giving way to let me pass! :) ;-) Again, that does not happen often.

6. I don't do it to annoy other riders or drivers. It is a tool to make myself more visible and to keep the crazy drivers from plastering me on their grill. If that annoys a very few riders or drivers, I think that is more than fair trade off.

My only "Rant": It's a more rational safety tool than the moronic and baseless argument that 'Loud Pipes Save Lives' without a shred of proof or logic, and much more annoying. This works. :p

One of the first mods I installed and I love them. They don't seem to be visible to people using cell phones . Had 6 close calls last year with cell users. If I see a car coming to a stop sign and see cell phone being used I reach for the brakes and get ready.

Anyone who claims that a regularly pulsing high beam means 'please go ahead of me' is an idiot.
So who do you suppose it is that pulls out in front of a motorcycle? A Genius?

And I think that mmonroe should consult the Hurt report for the direction from where his real danger lies. (hint: It ain't primarily from behind you)

I've never seen a bike using them. But, I'm all for anything that will make me more visible. People who are highly regarded and write the leading motorcycle safety books seem to recommend them consistently and highly. They suggest that the main time they are useful is at dawn and dusk when the sun is low and in drivers eyes.

One of the most visible bikers I ever saw was just the other day, a Harley rider riding down a busy boulevard during the height of rush hour. I saw him coming from 3 intersections away. No, his lights weren't blinking, he was wearing a bright fluorescent orange shirt.

I got a very bright bumble bee black and yellow riding jacket for riding in heavy traffic. I'm not above wearing a day-glow vest in traffic.

But, the thing is, that it really isn't important that other drivers see me. What's important is that I see them and be ready for any foolishness they can concoct. If I get wrecked, it doesn't matter how stupid or blind the other driver was. The only thing that matters is how stupid, trusting and blind I was. I have no control over anything on the road but me — and if I wreck, It will be no one's fault but my own.

4. Have not had the situation (or excuse) of having another rider pull out, thinking I was flashing my lights to have them do so. Really, I don't see how you can confuse the two. I agree that people would use it to excuse their total cluelessness.)
SOP here in Tallahassee.

I learned that the hard way when I came here 10 years ago. Flashing your lights was common practice in South Fla. but not up here.

Not bashing your modulator just stating Tallahassee/North Fla. rules of the road.

No HL modulators here. But thinking seriously about some sort of brake light modulator. For now, I try to manually flash my brake light 3-4 times quickly before any non panic stops to try and catch the eye of any cars traveling behind me. It may not work to get their attention 100% of the time, but if it works once it's worth it. I also watch my 6 when sitting at any intersection (thank you FZ1 mirrors) until a car is safely stopped behind me.

But, back on topic, since I upgraded to HID headlights, I have noticed several times where a car will be edging out a bit and then suddenly stop short. Sometimes even when I am still far enough away that they could have safely made their move, but because of the "different" headlights they decide to wait. Maybe they just like bikes and want to see what the hell that is? :unsure:

In fact, I cannot recall a single pull-out happening since converting to the Xenons (knock on wood), whereas that was a fairly regular occurrence previously. I'm also one of those bastids that ride with my headlights on high beam during the day, unless directly following behind another vehicle for more than a few seconds. I don't really care who I irritate so long as they see me and do not (unintentionally) run me down. If they intend to run me down then they are insane and they'd surely find something else I'm doing that would tick them off.

My only "Rant": It's a more rational safety tool than the moronic and baseless argument that 'Loud Pipes Save Lives' without a shred of proof or logic, and much more annoying. This works. :p
Are you saying that loud pipes do NOT save lives? Where's your proof? :p

Anyone who is considering a headlight modulator should use this low-cost alternative: while you're riding, place the dimmer switch in the up position to activate the high beams; then place it in the down position to switch to low beams. Repeat as necessary. You can thank me later.

I do like my Back-Off wig-wag brake light modulator. A couple of folks have told me it's pretty nifty and very attention-getting when I apply the brakes. Also when another vehicle is approaching my 6 at a traffic light, I simply release the brake lever and reapply to make sure they see me.

Headlight modulators (which I rarely see around central PA) annoy me enough that I will likely never have one on my own cycle. Yeah, I can't see it, but I know it's there....

Here's a question for those in the know: Does the use of a headlight (or brake light) modulator cause bulbs to burn out any sooner than without?

Are you saying that loud pipes do NOT save lives? Where's your proof? :p

Anyone who is considering a headlight modulator should use this low-cost alternative: while you're riding, place the dimmer switch in the up position to activate the high beams; then place it in the down position to switch to low beams. Repeat as necessary. You can thank me later.

I do like my Back-Off wig-wag brake light modulator. A couple of folks have told me it's pretty nifty and very attention-getting when I apply the brakes. Also when another vehicle is approaching my 6 at a traffic light, I simply release the brake lever and reapply to make sure they see me.

Headlight modulators (which I rarely see around central PA) annoy me enough that I will likely never have one on my own cycle. Yeah, I can't see it, but I know it's there....

Here's a question for those in the know: Does the use of a headlight (or brake light) modulator cause bulbs to burn out any sooner than without?
Two points I'll comment on;

1. Manually switching between low and high bean CAN be mistaken for a 'please proceed' signal because it is neither regularly spaced nor continuous.

2. Modulators cycle the bulb through a smooth cyclical waveform, never quite turning them off (they dim to 17% of voltage) . . . as a result there is no significant 'thermal shock' to shorten bulb life. I believe that because the average bulb temperature is reduced (compared to full brightness daytime running lighting) the bulbs should last longer with a modulator than without. So they don't switch ON and OFF, but rather cycle from dim to bright 4 times a second.

Are you saying that loud pipes do NOT save lives? Where's your proof
The only trouble is they are loudest behind the bike. At speed you do get a doplar effect lowering the volume some. If they are loud enough to hear clearly in front you will be pissing people off and attracting a LEO.

Okay, its been a while since I started this thread.. Modulators are their to stay, though I really only use them when those days people are driving f'n STUPID (you know what I mean).. or when I'm on a two lane hwy.

So today I go for a little ride out to the sticks and I noticed something. Not a single car flashed their brights at me, instead, I had people in cars WAVING at me as they went by. Not a oh shit, cover your eyes wave.. but, like a biker wave. The'fa?! I've seen it happen a few times before, but today, like 10 or 20% of them!

I can't explain this...

this is my second bike with head light modulators and I will not ride without them and they are on all the time and I am absolutely 100% certain that less cagers pull into my lane with me and less cagers pull out on me from crosss streets...if you try it you will understand...you can see it in their eyes...that look that tells you they just spotted you...what a great feeling that is to know the headlight modulators do work and you can proceed through knowing they see you or the car next to you sees you...I have been noticing more and more bikes that I see everyday on my morning commute and afternoon commute are now using headlight modulators and I am certain they are getting it after seeing me everyday for months...its nice to see other riders using them...and I keep hearing the BS that people think you are flashing an ok, go ahead of me...it is totally different then flashing your lights to tell someone to go...this doesn't look like that...that is just stupid to say that...modulating just doesn't look like a flash to pass...it is constant...thats why I never shut mine off...leave them on all the time and maybe more and more cagers will become aware of us

I don't currently have headlight modulators on the FJR, but I had them on my prior bike, a Vstrom. Without a doubt in my mind, they made ME more visible/noticable to those drivers making a decision about whether to pull out or not. I don't think I ever had a close call when they were turned on and the difference in respect I got from cars when on the Strom with them on, vs with them off or on the KTM SXC (dirt bike with lights) is quite obvious.

Honestly, what the driver thinks of it, what other motorcyclists think of, whether they like them or not, makes absolutly no difference to me. Coming home at the end of the day is what it's all about.

They are easily turned off with a switch if riding in a group of other bikes or sitting at a stoplight behind a car, or even on interstate with all traffic moving the same direction if you like.

I will certainly be putting them on the FJR, and also with some driving lights, to help with daytime visibility.

this is my second bike with head light modulators and I will not ride without them and they are on all the time and I am absolutely 100% certain that less cagers pull into my lane with me and less cagers pull out on me from crosss streets...if you try it you will understand...you can see it in their eyes...that look that tells you they just spotted you...what a great feeling that is to know the headlight modulators do work and you can proceed through knowing they see you or the car next to you sees you...I have been noticing more and more bikes that I see everyday on my morning commute and afternoon commute are now using headlight modulators and I am certain they are getting it after seeing me everyday for months...its nice to see other riders using them...and I keep hearing the BS that people think you are flashing an ok, go ahead of me...it is totally different then flashing your lights to tell someone to go...this doesn't look like that...that is just stupid to say that...modulating just doesn't look like a flash to pass...it is constant...thats why I never shut mine off...leave them on all the time and maybe more and more cagers will become aware of us

In general, I dont worry as much about people in front of me - I have some control over the direction I am moving.
Um, it's the people in front of them that kill most riders. Crossing the center line, turning left, pulling out from a stop, blah blah blah. All of them "didn't see" the bike, which again means they didn't look. How many drivers have you seen edge through an intersection without stopping, only to stop when they noticed "Oh! It's busy!"

I'm not trying to talk anybody out of modulators as much as I'm trying to point out that personally, I don't think they do all that much good. Granted, changing light sources have a higher reaction than steady light sources. That's why radio towers blink, flashing yellows flash, and emergency vehicle lights cycle through all sorts of patterns.

My problem with modulators is that the uneducated public doesn't know what to do when he sees them. Perhaps if they were standard and thus understood by all it would be different. But the ignorant reaction of most (OMG, wtf do I do?!!?!?!?111) compels me to leave them alone and continue my "I'm invisible - they don't see me" defensive riding, and making sure I see everything out there, and have a way out of it. Why should I actually contribute to the confusion of the drivers around me?
+1

You said it much better than I would have. No modulator for me, thank you. I find them to be extremely annoying when I see them on other bikes, so I assume others would be just as annoyed with me, and that's not a good thing.

I just don't get the comment that people don't know what to do when they see modulating headlights...that is just simply NOT true...I have around 8,000 miles now behind a modulating headlight and I have NEVER seen a reaction from anyone that they didn't know what to do...I have only seen the look that I want to see and thats, HEY! I SEE YOU...isn't the goal to get back in the garage in one piece...to reach that goal, don't we need people to see us.