Heat Fix-Information

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twiggy

Reaction score
I know there are articles on the fix for this topic can you tell me where I can find them.

I would suggest adding the wonderful search feature of this board and search for "heat fix". Use quotes, change the search date to any date, and make sure it's searching through all the threads.

One I found in short order was here

This is a perennial subject subject to much endless debate....so moving thread to it's new home.

Welcome twiggy and entertaining bringing up the heat topic in the cold of winter. ....that's original . ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, gods of la la land, please bestow upon us your mercy and LOCK THIS THREAD!

Just don't reply. Heat has been beat to death. Just do any search on google heat fjr1300 and you will find mods...

And of course the ABSOLUTE BEST information is that the bike is a powerplant of 1300 CC's, and produces heat. Duh.

It is PERFECTLY normal.

The VAST majority of pilot's feel the heat is a NON-ISSUE.

But hey, you need something to whine about, go right ahead.

Maybe create some little metal piece that taps around underneath after a few miles and makes you think you now have a ticking blast furnace. Whatever.

Taking the hook outta my mouth now.

GZ

And of course the ABSOLUTE BEST information is that the bike is a powerplant of 1300 CC's, and produces heat. Duh.
It is PERFECTLY normal.

Maybe create some little metal piece that taps around underneath after a few miles and makes you think you now have a ticking blast furnace. Whatever.

GZ
Lighten up.

It's a big enough issue that Cycle World devoted an entire half-page to it in a recent issue. And it's a big enough issue that Yamaha did a complete re-engineering of the fairing and cooling system for the 06's. So this is not just a few whiners whining. It's a problem that annoys a significant percentage of FJR riders and is being fixed to some extent, how successfully TBD.

- Mark

It is PERFECTLY normal.

GZ
GZ,

then you'd like to explain why the Busa that makes more HP is cooler than the FJR?

Mark Jenn is correct, the new O6 with the new nose vent, dash vent, raised gas tank, new rad. , all new fairing design ...it is all about reducing the monster heat that the FJR puts out. Just because it doesn't bother some folk does not mean it is a non issue.

I know there are articles on the fix for this topic can you tell me where I can find them.
Don't waste your time. There is no real heat fix. I tried them all including those ridiculous wing things. You still bake in temps over 90. The bike is intrinsically a heat augmentor.

I will sell my 05 when my AE comes in and hope like hell the 06 redesign efforts have at least alleviated most of the problem.

The other answer according to I butt riders is wearing an Aerostitch suit in all temperatures.

It is PERFECTLY normal.

GZ
GZ,

then you'd like to explain why the Busa that makes more HP is cooler than the FJR?

Mark Jenn is correct, the new O6 with the new nose vent, dash vent, raised gas tank, new rad. , all new fairing design ...it is all about reducing the monster heat that the FJR puts out. Just because it doesn't bother some folk does not mean it is a non issue.
You are absolutely right I would rather ride any of my other bikes in summer than the FJR. I ride a Burgman at 80 mph and there is no heat anywhere near any part of your body except ambient. The amount of energy to drive an FJR at that speed is pretty much the same so heat production is similar. The FJR will roast you - corrected on the 06 (Hope springs eternal)

Twiggy as you've just discovered some people cannot help themselves when it comes to offering advice. Of course these are the ones who know all but when you ask them for assistance all they can do is to offer insult and treat you like and imbecile. So don't worry about em the majority are more tolerant and much more helpful.

You may use the search function here or try a Google search. Maybe one of the knowitalls may even supply you with a link!

Twiggy as you've just discovered some people cannot help themselves when it comes to offering advice. Of course these are the ones who know all but when you ask them for assistance all they can do is to offer insult and treat you like and imbecile. So don't worry about em the majority are more tolerant and much more helpful.

You may use the search function here or try a Google search. Maybe one of the knowitalls may even supply you with a link!
No offense intended. Trying to save the guy some time. By all means go ahead with all the modifications but don't be disappointed with the results. The problem is the existing air flow patterns within the bike. As Yamaha has discovered it takes a pretty extensive redesign to affect a cure.

The way you dress on the bike is paramount. I wear ventilated armour cortex type ballistic pants and jacket in the summer. This is not a good idea. Riding up the big hill out of Baker into Vegas the airflow around my shins was burning me. The air temp was 113 F. This was with all the fixes in place. Temps lower than that the bike is just uncomfortably hot. Below 90 it is tolerable.

There are many out there who can take this additional heat. I am just not one of them.

However I have bought an Aerostitch type 2 piece made by Triumph. I will try this out even when the temps are in the hundreds to see how it protects.

It is PERFECTLY normal.

GZ, while I'm sure you are the KOTK concerning the FJR, I would like to add one little factoid to your base library.

Some FJRs run hotter than others.

I know of 2 FJRs in NorCal where the riders were being burned to the point that their skin was red through leathers . IMHO, that would seem to indicate excessive heat from those 2 bikes, and I would hardly describe this as "normal", under any circumstances. Both owners have done the cromeit heat mods and now their bikes are rideable.

So, maybe your FJR doesn't emit excessive heat, and is tolerable wearing whatever riding apparel you decide to wear, or not wear, but that doesn't alter the fact that a certain percentage of bikes present excessive heat.

I've owned 2 FJRs, an '04 (that was totalled in a collision) and now, an '05. Neither of my bikes presented the heat some complain about. I wear riding gear at all times and commute and ride in 100+ degree heat in the Central Valley of CA. It seems to me that as a member of this community, we should all be a little careful disparaging those who have been riding FJRs since '03 and have contributed much to this and other forums and to the FJR community as a whole, because our personal experience doesn't match what they have corrected. :assasin:

Last edited by a moderator:
<So, maybe your FJR doesn't emit excessive heat, and is tolerable wearing whatever <riding apparel you decide to wear, or not wear, but that doesn't alter the fact that a <certain percentage of bikes present excessive heat.

Absolutely correct. Whether it's due to some FJR's emitting more heat than others, or differing levels of rider tolerance for heat, doesn't really matter. The reality is, it is a problem for a certain number of riders. And they should either try some of the heat flow fixes that have been suggested, or consider buying an '06 with supposedly improved air flow for heat dissipation.

I frequently ride in 100 degree plus summer heat and my '04 FJR has only been a heat problem for me one time--that was when I stupidly decided to ride down into the Sacramento Valley on a 105 degree day wearing cutoffs and tennis shoes. I got stuck in heavy stop and go traffic and found the heat to be searing. It was no better when I finally got on the hiway and headed back up into the mountains at 75 mph--when I got home, my shins were lobster pink and sore. I normally ride wearing Levi's and I have NEVER experienced any uncomfortable heat on the FJR other than the one episode wearing cutoffs. Sure, it gets warm, but not at all to the point where I find it uncomfortable. And I ride year round, so find the little bit of extra heat wonderful during 30 degree winter riding. My son and I also have GSXR's and I can tell you that they put out a lot more heat than my FJR. But I'm also sure I have a much higher tolerance for heat and cold extremes than most people--I'm always one of the first people out on the ski slopes wearing cutoffs when spring skiing comes in. Most other skiers think I'm crazy.

If the heat bothers you, try some of the fixes or try buying an '06 FJR.

Lee in the Mountains of Northern California

'04 FJR--23,000 miles and lovin' it

It is PERFECTLY normal.

GZ
Hey bee., I`ve got a bridge for sale...are ya interested? :assasin: