Heat Modification

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jim oneill

triplex
Reaction score
05 with the usual complaint about the heat. Isn,t ther a mod kit you can get to help this? anybody know where to get this?

Last edited by a moderator:
A few years ago I came from a Honda Magna to an 05 FJR, and I guess I just don't understand the heat issue, unless you are sitting in busy traffic for hours on end. As one friend once told me, you are sitting on top of an internal combustion engine for God's sakes, what do you expect.

A few years ago I came from a Honda Magna to an 05 FJR, and I guess I just don't understand the heat issue, unless you are sitting in busy traffic for hours on end. As one friend once told me, you are sitting on top of an internal combustion engine for God's sakes, what do you expect.
I guess you don't understand if you go from one crotch burner to another one. :rolleyes: My 04 was a nut roasting, shin burning SOB. And still was after I put some insulation under the tank and foam blocks inside the fairing. Other than that, it was a great bike. :) I've had a lot of internal combustion engine motorcycles and the 04 FJR was the hottest. My 08 is much better with the heat.

GP

Yeeah: Just do the "CromeIt" heat fix and put a shield under the tank. I did it all for under 20 bux, materials, and an hour or so of my time (not counting the time it took to gather materials from the hardware store for the nut/bolt and Home Depot for the shiny bubbleshield stuff).

Makes a world of difference, and does not increase engine heat enough to register on the temp. meter. I live in the southwest, and the heat in the summer is significant. My '05 is not like sitting on block of ice, but neither is it as hot as it was, or as hot as some other rides I've owned.

Lots of how-to-do-it info on this web site, and this is a light duty job.

Be sure to put soft padding on the garage floor to avoid scratching your tupperware fairing sides. WBill

https://jfindustriesltd.com/SpeedZoneAhead/...tgastankfix.htm
and

https://www.fjrowners.ws/forum/messages/6/10176.html

Or you could just do it yourself. Buy some heat shield insulation like I did and put it under the tank over the engine, and buy some foam, cut blocks out, wrap them in heat shielding and put them inside the top edges of the fairing. Works like a charm up to about 95.
I bought the heat kit and it has made a world of difference. I had some sound proofing material I bought for the truck and tried to do it myself the first time, That didn't work the material wasn't flexible enough. The kit was pretty easy to install. I'll tell when I desided to install the heat kit... It was when riding last summer on a 100 degree day and the lower sides of gas tank was too hot to touch and my inner thighs were burning. Enough was enough.

Still riding my 04.I did the foil and removed two inner panels out of my fairing.It helped but riding in Texas is always torture in July and August.Geez you are in NEW JERSEY.I guess you better not ride south then.

Tank blanket, and lining the black plastic covers under the tank & some under the seat cured my 04 from severe heat (a must here in Az)

Tank blanket, and lining the black plastic covers under the tank & some under the seat cured my 04 from severe heat (a must here in Az)
Hmmm. I don't have any issues really with my bike as far as tank/crotch heat goes ... just gets really hot along my thighs where they meet the frame area under the tank. Any body have any ideas to help with that? I noticed that the previous owner had put reflective insulation under the gas tank.... I thought it was factory, but I guess not! Good to him! I am thinking maybe some insulation on the inside part of the frame, or removing the rubber flaps to allow more air flow has anybody tried that?

I may just as well leave it. I only have had this problem down here in TX when it is HOT out. I love this bike back home in MN, it really helps keep you warm.

OP's profile lists '08, but his post asks about '05. The '05 (Gen-I) doesn't come with a heat barrier under the tank from Yammy.

Under-tank blanket is all I've done to my '03, and that made a world of difference. My left leg gets some heat still, but it's not intolerable with long pants under my Tour Master overpants. Now if I wear teh overpants over shorts I can feel my leg wanting to cook.