Heated Gear

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Canadian FJR

Canadian FJR
Reaction score
My old Eclipse heated vest has finally shit the bed so I am in the market for a new vest or maybe jacket.

What is the new "hot" brand these days?

Any comments on the Aerostich Kanetsu vest.

Canadian FJR

What Joe said. I believe they still have their "Trade-up" program where your old gear might be worth some bucks off a purchase.

I picked up a Cyclegear jacket with the controller when it was on sale last year for $99. Quality is good, the 3 heat settings work great with high being plenty hot (90 watts I think), sleeves are heated too. Several good brands on the market but this jacket on sale inc. the controller is a fantastic deal, very happy with it. Had 2 Witter vests in the past, this jacket works much better.

After moving from a bike that didn't require external devices to protect me from the cold, I used warm and safe connective gear and glove liners to fix the problem with cold hands on the FJR. Will probably buy a vest or jacket from them before next winter. Flawless.

Stay away from the Aerostich Kanetsu. I bought one with my Darien getup and they have been nothing but trouble. First one returned under warranty. The next one failed and they declined warranty until I bitched enough. When the 3rd one failed, I gave up and used it as a trade in with Warm and Safe. I should note that I'm very careful with my gear (I'm still using my left saddlebag liner after 110,000 miles of daily use and it's just now splitting apart at a seam) and there's no reason it should have failed other than poor quality.

Warm & Safe for me as well. I had never used any heated gear so after some research I decided on them. I got the water proof jacket liner and gloves. Have really only used them once and it performed great. Pulled out of the hotel and it was 35*. I was comfy and didn't even have it turned up all the way.

So from reading on the W&S website it appears that they manufacture for First Gear?

Why would one want a Dual Heatroller rather than a single/ Is the Dual for your passenger and you and the Single just for you?

It appears to me that the Warm and Safe Controller with the Know would be simplest to use while riding. True?

Which power system seems to work best? SAE or the BMW style?

Why do you need coax adapters?

I'm trying to get smart enough to make an intelligent choice, see my signature.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
I got the water proof jacket liner and gloves. Have really only used them once and it performed great.
I have the waterproof also although I've only used it under my gear. Which reminds me - on the way home from Americade this past Saturday we rode in over an hour of a steady, and at times pretty heavy rain. Going south on Rte. 8 in CT two sport bikes doing at least the speed limit passed us with both riders wearing their W&S jackets as rain gear. One red, one grey. I'd love to know how well they held up.

Why would one want a Dual Heatroller rather than a single/ Is the Dual for your passenger and you and the Single just for you?
It appears to me that the Warm and Safe Controller with the Know would be simplest to use while riding. True?
The dual will let you adjust two items - for me the gloves and the liner - separately. Often you may want one turned up more than the other.

Glad you mentioned the controller as that's a good point that the OP may be interested in. Not sure what the "Know" is but their wireless remote controller is a nice option IMHO. With the belt clip and lanyard you can safely hook it anywhere it's convenient on you or the bike (mine sits clipped to my tankbag) and then simply remove and store it when you walk away. Only wires you have to deal with is the one power supply from the bike to your liner. If the batteries should go dead - two replaceable AAAs - rendering the controller useless, the gear will automatically come up to about 30% power when you plug in so that you're not stranded with nothing.

I've had the same Gerbing jacket liner for over 17 years. It's still going strong.

"Stay away from the Aerostich Kanetsu. I bought one with my Darien getup and they have been nothing but trouble. First one returned under warranty. The next one failed and they declined warranty until I bitched enough. When the 3rd one failed, I gave up and used it as a trade in with Warm and Safe. I should note that I'm very careful with my gear (I'm still using my left saddlebag liner after 110,000 miles of daily use and it's just now splitting apart at a seam) and there's no reason it should have failed other than poor quality."

Dang Harold, I wish I would have read this yesterday. I just dropped by Aerostitch in Duluth yesterday and bought their heated jacket. Hope I have better luck than you had.

Warm & Safe...JSNS
Just get the best......
I will second....or third on Warm & Safe! I LOVE my heated jacket liner, especially with their wireless controller. A great setup for a very reasonable price!! And yes, Warm & Safe makes Firstgear heated gear as well.

Just buy it John, you know you want it!!!
fool.gif