Heated gear

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a Widder vest and it works great - collar is tall and is also heated. I bought the cord with the rheostadt (settings 0 - 7) - not hard wired to the bike, I have a powerlet in the back I use to plug in. The rheostadt actually just rides on my left thigh when I ride, easy to reach and doesn't get in the way.

I actually don't use the vest much, got it for Lorie. However from my limited experience, I absolutely agree with the recommendations to get the sleeves if you go with the Widder. I am a "minimalist" and hate layer after layer of clothing. I can wear my Kili II w/o liner with the Widder into the low 30s/hi 20s. But without the Widder sleeves, I need to wear the liner for temps below those. With the sleeves I have no doubt I'd be good in much lower temps.

My opinion, you can't go wrong with either Widder or Gerbing depending on what you run on the bike, power draw, etc.

The Widders are a bit less expensive I think than the Gerbings or the Warm-N-Safes, but I don't want to be penny wise and pound foolish.
Dave, if I remember correctly the Widder is cheaper for "just" the vest. Once you add the arm chaps (which look like a huge pain in the ass on-off & don't offer true full coverage) it's about the same price (or more) as a Gerbings.

Also, if I remember correctly once adding the arm chaps to the Widder there isn't a huge watt savings over a Gerbing. I really don't remember clearly.

I'll leave the Warmnsafe comments for others.

Dutchman, sorry for the misunderstanding of the hard wiring comment. If you do spend the bucks for a liner, you can always sell it & recoop a good chunk of your original investment.

Also looking to purchase a "set-up" within the next week or two. Going back and forth between the Gerbings and the Warm-n-Safe although the Powerlet also caught my eye. Unless I see/hear something discouraging here I'll just go with the feeling of the day and hope for the best. Not seeing many comments on gloves though. As they're pretty much interchangeable with liners, anybody have any thoughts on any of the brands?

The stitching on my "made in China" Gerbing fell apart in two places. I purchased it a year ago, but didn't use it much till I went to Switzerland in June for two weeks and then a 3 wk trip to Wi from FL. A seam about 2" long down by my wrist let go and a 4" seam in the armpit went. The warranty was for 1 year, so I sent it back for $12 and they fixed it. I didn't abuse the jacket liner and they said I should be able to use it everyday like a regular jacket without problems???? Hopefully it will be ok in the future.

I like to use the jacket liner every day under my Tour Master until it warms up, if it does. (don't use Tour Master liner). I can use it like a light jacket when not riding. I tried the on-off switch first, but I was either hot or cold. Had to go as a backup. The controller is around $70, but a must for me. The jacket liner and controller is about a $300 deal, but well worth it. It don't like being cold. This also allows less layers being packed. I had to add a Powerlet plug to my FJR. My BMW's have it already.

A friend let me use an electric vest before purchasing the jacket liner, but I didn't like it since my arms got cold.

UMotors sells Gerbings at about the best price. I spoke with Mike tonight.

Ebay seller "Cyclebitz" is located in Fletcher NC and retails by the name LockItt. Grumpy bought his Widders there. They have about the best Ebay pricing I found.

So far, I like the high heated collar of the (System-2) Widder vest and their better grade of outer shell material. That eliminates two more pieces of gear I have to pack (neck fleece and rain liner).

Both brands offer electronic controls and BMW/Powerlet plugs if desired. All it takes is money. But from what I can see, there is no reason you HAVE to do business with WarmNSafe to get a suitable electronic controller.

Most of the heated clothing appears to use heated wiring. The exception is the latest battery powered heated vests, which use carbon fiber heated material. The problem with the CF material is it must be shaped as a "pad" and is not easily made into collars, arm chaps etc.

Average price for vest, gloves, electronic controller is $330.

I'm planning on heated gloves rather than heated grips. Saw too many people last winter with blistered palms where they had turned their heated grips wide open trying to keep their hands warm. Yuck!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Personally, I'm just looking for gloves. The rest of me is usually adequately warm in my Tourmaster 1-piece. I think I've found a pretty good deal on a set of used Widders with the glove only wiring harness and battery harness, so I may just go that route.

For those running "gloves only", do you run the "Y" harness down your jacket sleeves and plug that into the bike harness, or do you run the "Y" out the bars and plug in each glove when you get on the bike?? I'm inclined to run the Y out the bars and plug in the gloves there, but a buddy of mine said he runs the wires for his Gerbings down his jacket sleeves. Thoughts??

I've been running Gerbing glove liners for about 3 years with no problems. They plug into the jacket sleeves and the jacket plugs into the bike.