Heated grip question

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe Nardy

Reaction score
I'm in the process of installing Symtec grip heaters. I've finished installing the heating elements on the bars and all the wiring, all that's left to do is install the grips (Pro Grip Gel grips). My questions is: What's the best adhesive to use on the grips? The Symtec instructions say to use some type of epoxy. Won't this make it difficult, if not impossible, to replace the grips without destroying the heating elements? I've always used good old hairspray but I don't know if the heat will loosen the grip of the hairspray.

Thanks in advance for your help,

Joe

I'm in the process of installing Symtec grip heaters. I've finished installing the heating elements on the bars and all the wiring, all that's left to do is install the grips (Pro Grip Gel grips). My questions is: What's the best adhesive to use on the grips? The Symtec instructions say to use some type of epoxy. Won't this make it difficult, if not impossible, to replace the grips without destroying the heating elements? I've always used good old hairspray but I don't know if the heat will loosen the grip of the hairspray.
Thanks in advance for your help,

Joe
I bought the Yamaha kit and used the epoxy included in the kit. After 2 months it started to loose up.

I removed the grip, clean it, and used Contact Cement Glue.

It is now a few months and still ok.

I installed the Dual Star hot grips and used Hair Spray to put the grips on. Yup, hair spray! I've had the grips on/off about 6 or 7 times and have used the HS for all but 1 of those installs and it works great. Slides on nice and easy and once dry the grips stay where they are. I use the "extra hold" so they stay put in the wind. YMMV - but that's my experience!

Thanks for all the help. I went with Aqua Net Extra Super Hold. The grips seem to be secure. I'll see how the hair spray holds up in cooler weather when I use the haeted grips.

Joe