heated grip replacement

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is the phot

The Grey connector has a black wire and a yellow wire

The Black connector has a yellow wire and a Yellow wire with red trace.

This is a 2013 bike by the way.
Gen 3 wiring very different from Gen 2. Grips controlled directly by the ship's computer (well, one of them), there is no separate controller like the Gen 2's have. Wiring colours very different.

Thank you for the reply, assuming your colour reference for the OEM connectors is correct what do I connect from the Oxford grips. One wire from each grip connected together or two wires from one grip?
I can't be sure about whether the grips are connected in series or parallel, but my feeling is that they are in parallel, in which case wire them like the parallel diagram I posted above, only where I said "Fuse", that would be the Brown wire, where I said "0 volts", that would be the (probably) White/Black or (possibly) Red/Black wire.

There are several Oxford installation manuals available on their web site. The few I've looked at all assume you are going to use the Oxford controller and just plug the bits together.

(Click on image for larger view)

It's not possible to see whether they are wired in series or parallel; from that.

If you have the original loom, it would be easy to tell, otherwise a measurement of a grip's resistance would tell you. I would expect one grip to dissipate about 15 watts, so a hard sum suggests its resistance would be about 15 ohms for parallel connection, or 3 ohms for series.

they are wire in series and need to be wired in parallel the resistance of the original grips is as follows

Right grip 1.6 ohms

Left grip 1.4 ohms

The resistance of the oxford grips are as follows

Right grip 7.3 ohms

Left grip 6.5 ohms

Wiring diagrams are not my forte but here it is if anyone can help.
Again, that is Gen 3, not Gen 2. It also shows the original grips that are wired in series, it doesn't answer whether the Oxford grips are wired in series or in parallel.

But your next reply is much more helpful, the Oxford grips are in parallel.

The difference in resistance is because heat is conducted away less through the throttle tube on the right grip, so the left needs a little more heat than the right so that they feel the same.

Can't believe we are talking about heated grips when we are having a mini-heatwave here, currently in the low to mid 30's C (high 80's or low 90's F). Most un-UK sorts of temperatures. 

Yes I'm sitting here sweating my cods off.

The Oxford grips have a Tamiya connector on each grip so for each grip it's just a loop, one wire in and one wire out. I just need to know what wires to join together and which wires on the OEM plugs to connect them to.

Yes I'm sitting here sweating my cods off.

The Oxford grips have a Tamiya connector on each grip so for each grip it's just a loop, one wire in and one wire out. I just need to know what wires to join together and which wires on the OEM plugs to connect them to.

Didn't realise you were after this info as well as the OP.

looking at your diagram, your bike connections are the Yellow/Red and the Black that go to the OEM grips

If you look at the Oxford diagram in my earlier post, connect the Yellow/Red to one of the pins of both the left and right Oxford grips, the Black wire to the other pins of both grips.

Let me know if you are still struggling.

Thanks for the reply. so just to make sure I have this right one wire from left grip joined to one wire from right grip (doesn't matter which) going to the Yellow Red and the other two wires from the left and right grip joined together going to the Black wire. Have I got that right?

Thanks for the reply. so just to make sure I have this right one wire from left grip joined to one wire from right grip (doesn't matter which) going to the Yellow Red and the other two wires from the left and right grip joined together going to the Black wire. Have I got that right?
Correct. 

I have made this very basic drawing I hope it's correct and helps someone. This is for 2013 bike to wire in Oxford heated grips to use OEM controls.

McAtrophy can you check it for me and if its ok I'll edit the post to make it permanent.

That looks good to me. We'll wait until they are getting hot before we do the celebrations. 

OK peeps the results are in. I jerry rigged the Oxford heated grips to test the theory.

The rig looks like a bowl of spaghetti but it worked. I have ordered some cable to match the OEM wiring and will create a loom when it arrives to tidy it all up.

The original OEM grip figures

Left Grip 46.1 C 

Right grip 45.5 C

Oxford grips

Left Grip 72.3 C after 10 minutes and still rising

Right grip 62.2 C after 10 minutes and rising

So as you can see the Oxford grips wired in parallel are significantly warmer than the OEMs

The original OEM grip figures

Left Grip 46.1 C 

Right grip 45.5 C

Oxford grips

Left Grip 72.3 C after 10 minutes and still rising

Right grip 62.2 C after 10 minutes and rising

So as you can see the Oxford grips wired in parallel are significantly warmer than the OEMs
With those temperatures you may want to reduce your bike's maximum grip heat setting, or you risk burning your hands (I did this some home-made heated grips I had on my Trophy).

Maximum power will be one quarter of parallel. Probably not enough.

Though easy enough to try whilst in the "spaghetti" stage. 
Hard to say how that will translate to ultimate temperature.  Certainly won't hurt any thing to try.  Might be better than overloading the circuit or burning up the grips.

I had them wired in series to start with and they were just a puny as the OEM heated grips. I would rather have them too hot and turn them down than not hot enough and not be able to turn them up. I will adjust the settings once I've had a chance to test them.

Had a day in the garage today and fitted the Oxford grips and buttoned it all up. They warm up quickly and are hotter than the OEMs. As expected the bars absorb some of the heat. I still need to give them a road test.

Latest posts