Heated Grips (Cost and install)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rider_FJR

Reaction score
I'm looking to install Yamaha heated grips on 2007 FJR.

1st Question: Is this the correct item: ABA-2D237-40-00

2nd Question: is there a document that explains how to install the grips?

Is there an issue installing these grips on 2007 FJR?

Anything I should look out for?

Sure you want to spend all the extra money for Yammie grips? There are plenty of good quality heated grips for considerably less. Just a thought...

I bought this set about a year and a half ago: they work great. CLICKY

Here's a pic of part of the install: CLICKY

Below: they look a little different than the factory grips. Don't mind my throttle lock, but you can see what they look like.

IMG_0225.jpg

Here's another view: they were about 80 bucks from the website posted above.

IMG_0223.jpg

Gary

darksider #44

Last edited by a moderator:
I did an install of Oxford heated grips. The install was awesome... Looks fantastic...

These things look and feel amazing!

All for $60!

+1, what they said. Factory grips waaay over priced for what, the convenience of pre-wired connectors?

Is it true, that the kit does not have a relay, so if the grip's are ON while bike is off, battery will drain?

One more thing, keep in mind that heated grips will keep your palms warm but do little for the tops of your hands and finger tips. I got those ugly looking but very functional Hippo Hands and in tandem with the heated grips my hands/fingers don't get cold at all

One more thing, keep in mind that heated grips will keep your palms warm but do little for the tops of your hands and finger tips. I got those ugly looking but very functional Hippo Hands and in tandem with the heated grips my hands/fingers don't get cold at all
The thing I like is that heated grips are always with you. I use mine in the summer even, during those morning rides in where it hasn't quite yet.

I just installed these on mine under the stock grips. They work quite well, though Cabela's isn't where I got them I don't think. But they were right around $40. Install was easy, just need to run a relay so they only work while ignition is on.

Finally got around to installing my aftermarket heated grips on my '07. The throttle side was a very tight fit but I finally got it on after 2 days of struggling with it. Now I move to the other side and discover that the new grip is for 1 1/8 handlebars and the FJR has a 7/8 inch bar. The throttle side was fine with the throttle tube. Does anyone know where I can find an adapter to make the 1 1/8 fit my 7/8 bars?

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Parrotdead" data-cid="1125040" data-time="1391986947"><p>

Finally got around to installing my aftermarket heated grips on my '07. The throttle side was a very tight fit but I finally got it on after 2 days of struggling with it. Now I move to the other side and discover that the new grip is for 1 1/8 handlebars and the FJR has a 7/8 inch bar. The throttle side was fine with the throttle tube. Does anyone know where I can find an adapter to make the 1 1/8 fit my 7/8 bars?</p></blockquote>

I hate to say it but I think you got them reversed L to R.

That link shows instructions for a GENI and it appears that the OP has a GENII (2007)
There is no difference in bar size or grips between the Gen's. Even if the Gen II owner installed a G2 throttle tube, the grip size and fit is the same.

The clutch side bar is 7/8 (22 mm). The grip for this side normally has internal ribs to help thermally isolate and insulate the grip from the bar.

The throttle side is 1.0 inch (26.5 mm). The grip for this side is normally smooth inside because the plastic throttle tube insulates the grip from the bar.

Last edited by a moderator:
That link shows instructions for a GENI and it appears that the OP has a GENII (2007)
There is no difference in bar size or grips between the Gen's. Even if the Gen II owner installed a G2 throttle tube, the grip size and fit is the same.

The clutch side bar is 7/8 (22 mm). The grip for this side normally has internal ribs to help thermally isolate and insulate the grip from the bar.

The throttle side is 1.0 inch (26.5 mm). The grip for this side is normally smooth inside because the plastic throttle tube insulates the grip from the bar.
ionbeam, what I was referring to is the OP's questions for his 2007, namely "1st Question: Is this the correct item: ABA-2D237-40-00" and "2nd Question: is there a document that explains how to install the grips?"

The answer to the 1st question is yes, that is the Yamaha part number for the GENII OEM heated grip kit. However, in the link provided by Matt101 , presumably addressing the 2nd question, the " Mounting Instructions for Yamaha Grip Heaters" is for the GENI kit, not the GENII kit.