Heated Grips

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mmonroe

Reaction score
I have never ridden a bike that had heated grips. I cant help but think that in the colder weather with gloves and thicker gloves that the heated grips might not be as effective. I always wear gloves. I have some Lee Parks, Vanson and some thick ass BMW gloves for the really cold days.

So are heated grips - such as the factory Yamaha units - effective through gloves and heavier winter gloves? of would it be better to buy heated gloves and call it a day?

Mark

I use my heated grips with my light weight gloves on cool mornings here in CA. About this time of year the temps drop into the 40's in the morning and I switch to my heated gloves (but don't plug them in). The grip heaters still help keep my hands warm. When the temps drop a bit more (high 30's or so), I start wearing my heated vest and plug the gloves in. I always use the grip heaters as well.

So, I recommend both!

See for yourself. Try putting on your gloves and holding the hot water pipe under a sink when it's warm. (Over the water heater will be too hot.)

I had them on my '04 and they were nice for a cool evening, but for me (key words) didn't cut it when it got really cold. I love the Gerbing heated gloves!

Lee Parks phase change gloves (PCI) are specifically designed to be used with heated grips. They have thinsulite insulation on the back/top of the glove to keep the heat in and thinner, phase change material on the palm/bottom and top that acts as a thermal shock absorber allowing heat from the heated grips to get into the glove. They work great. I've had a pair for 2 years and can ride down to 38F for hours with the grips on. Here is the link to Lee Parks PCI Gloves.

I had heated grips on my wing and they were hot enough that you couldnt hold on to them bare handed.I just ordered a set from Heat troller hope they are as good.

I have the yamaha factory grips. I use a shortee leather icon glove all year round. They get hot enough that I can't hold on to them on high even when it is 37 degrees. I like the heated grips because they are always there and I don't have to carry an extra set of gloves. Combined with a heated vest and a good jacket I am good in the 30s. Haven't gone lower than that yet.

By the way there are times in the summer when hands can get a little a cold at night. It is sweet when you can turn on the grips a little and keep toasty.

If you are on a budget go with the dual stars if not get the factory grips.

Gloves work fine with the heated grips. I have thinnish leather gloves and they work great so far into the high 30's with the grips turned up a couple of notches. And as Johnny80's said, those grips are always nice for that bit of extra warmth those last few miles home.

For me, heated grips help and are nice to have. Above 40F they work well enough for all day rides. But, when I do my 25 mi one way commute in 25 degree temps my hands feel very cold by the end of ride but not in pain like before. I think if I added hand guards too that would do it (back of hands is the problem.) I use the cheap Symtec type from California Sport Touring, around $30, with BMW grips and winter gloves. I also have a heated seat.

I use medium insulated gloves and on high, the factory grips are perfect down to 15 degrees on a half-hour commute. I definately feel the heat coming through. At EOM, the mornings were 50 degrees and unfortunateoly, I was wearing thin leather gloves which were perferated on the backs. I could not have the heated grips on high since they were burning hot through the thin leather so I set them at a mid-point and it helped even though the backs of my hands were cold due to the perferations. I have never tried them with my heavy gauntlets but I am sure that the heat would come through.