Heated Grips

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

masterguns

Reaction score
Just purchased a new FJR1300 with heated grips. Since it is May right now they are basically useless. But one thing I did notice is the factory grips are the worst ever; hard, very hard. Plus with the forward lean posture one must endure greater weight in support of the added weight. All this makes for a somewhat tiring ride. But I love this bike and need to improve some of it's functionality and add accessories. So, my question is are there aftermarket grips that can replace these factory rock hard grips and the bike still maintain the heated grip function? Probably not, but have to ask anyway.

Regards,

Just purchased a new FJR1300 with heated grips. Since it is May right now they are basically useless. But one thing I did notice is the factory grips are the worst ever; hard, very hard. Plus with the forward lean posture one must endure greater weight in support of the added weight. All this makes for a somewhat tiring ride. But I love this bike and need to improve some of it's functionality and add accessories. So, my question is are there aftermarket grips that can replace these factory rock hard grips and the bike still maintain the heated grip function? Probably not, but have to ask anyway.

Regards,
1) Elements are in the grips so grips can't be replaced

2) Some folks use a foam grip cover like Grip Puppies

3) If you are leaning forward very much and putting a lot of weight on your hands, you need to do a search on Master Yoda riding position. Keep the back straight and support yourself using thigh muscles.

Ross

You'll need to swap out the entire grip - and if you do, I'm looking for a right side OEM heated grip because mine is dead AND I like them. The right side has the grip virtually permanently affixed to the throttle tube and would require cutting to remove.

Perhaps you'd accept a stock (non-heated) right grip and some $$$ for yours with the included wiring (because they are plug and play and you will not be able to re-use the cable, at least as far as it exits the grip itself). Or I could send you MY OEM right heated grip, which comes complete with the throttle tube and cable - though the connecting wire is 'open circuit' right at the grip itself (a common issue with the factory product) - but you'd be cutting the wire down if you were connecting new grips to the OEM controller anyway.

Many people here like to fit Honda's heated grip kit for the ST1300. They are apparently cost effective, have a very nice controller, can be adjusted to get VERY hot and fit the FJR well.

Have you moved the handlebars to back position? It is very easy. Just remove the covers, loosen the bolts on both sides until you can pull the handlebars up enough to clear the positioning pins (about 1/4 inch), pull both handlebars back at the same time, slide the positioning pins into the back holes, and tighten up the bolts. I moved mine back last week and was surprised how much difference that little adjustment made in comfort.

Grip puppies or grip buddies over your factory grips will give you softer grips and reduce vibration. But, if you have small hands, the increased diameter might not be comfortable.

Go this route Clicky , then you can install just about any type grip you want. Be aware that you should put a heat shrink sleeve (available from Dual-Star) on the LH grip as without one, it acts as a heat sink and will not get as warm as the throttle side. This is a win/win as it gives you a choice of softer grips and you can then work out a deal with Bramfrank. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow what a bunch of great people on this forum. I just joined yesterday, posted my first question this morning and already have a few suggestions that I have already considered. For all that's interested I installed the MCL triple tree top clamp this past weekend moving the bars toward me by almost 2 inches. The bars are also about 1 inch higher. So that took care of that. Now over my lunch hour today I am going to go to one of the local parts store and pick up some Grip Puppies which I have never heard of. But I am slowing getting educated here. Thanks so much for the input and I'll let yall know how those things work out for me. There is just so much I want to do to this bike and I will be asking for additional advise later. But for now, thanks so much.