Heated Grips

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SeattleTy

LOVE 2 RIDE & RIDE 2 LOVE
Reaction score
I want to install some heated grips on my 2008. Anyone have any good recommendation. Any help would be appreciated.

I want to install some heated grips on my 2008. Anyone have any good recommendation. Any help would be appreciated.
"The Best" would be Yamaha OEMs, they will plug straight in.

Second best would be after-market, such as Oxford (link).

The cheapest is to "do it yourself" (click on image for larger view)

How to do it here (did it on my Trophy, would work just as well on the FJR).

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm using the heated grips & controller for the Honda St . . . they're a lot less expensive than the Yamaha OEM set.

I had the Yamaha set but they lasted about one season when the throttle side went out as the lead wire broke where it enters the grip . . . it appears that same thing has happen to a few people.

I had oem grips installed and the grips do in fact heat up perfectly. One caveat however, the main thing that makes your hands cold is the wind against them. All heated grips do is warm your palms, which are in constant contact with the grips. Your thumbs and fingertips will still feel the cold.

That said, I bought a set of "hippo hands" that keep your whole hands out of the wind and i can now ride in temps as low as the 20s without my hands/fingers/thumbs getting cold. Check their website and you,ll see that they,re butt ugly, but do work great

Thats how I keep warm!

I put a kit on mine available at Areostich, easy install, cheap cost, with a two position switch. Not real cold here last year, but they worked really well, nice even heat on both hands. should have done it sooner! ;)

PS, I do have Vstrom hand guards on as well, nice set up.

Dual Star or Symtec heated grip elements (both are pretty much the same). Pop the grips off, wrap the elements, glue grips back on, wire up, done. Simple, very cheap (IIRC, the kits are $35-40), and effective...especially when used in conjunction with Vstrom guards. That's my winter setup and it works like a charm.

I'm a fan of the Honda ST1300 grips that I've had on my 07 FJR for over 4 years now. They are about half the cost of the Yami ones and come with a nice looking controller. This is a "smart" controller that will actually use less power on lower settings, unlike cheapy high/low switches that just dump excess power into a resistor (but still use full power at all times). Order 2004 Honda ST1300 grips under p/n 08T50-MCS-100

Check THIS THREAD for pics of them installed. I'm assuming the pictures are still there because I can't see them here at work thanks to the firewall.

I'm near SEATAC daily - send me a PM if you want to stop by and see them installed.