Heated grips

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cerebus

Reaction score
I have an 05' FJR 1300 with throttlemeister and was wondering which brand of heated grips you like the best? Hot grips seems to be the most popular but I kind of like the ones made by AME where the level adjustment is right in the grip but it seems these are not sold in the open end style which I believe would be needed with a throttlemeister.

Any kind I get would have to be compatable with the throttlemeister.

I appologise if this question is posted somewhere else on this site.

If you search around, either in here or the other playground, there was an extensive thread on the heated AME grips...there were some caveats with the length, but I think the general opinion was that they were good.

I run Dual Star/Symtec elements under BMW Grips.

Some folks love the Honda heated grips...they fit and are cheaper than Yamaha heated grips.

Oxford heaterz!!

Great product!!Really Hot..!!

https://www.twistedthrottle.com/oxford-heaterz-heated-motorcycle-handlebar-grips-for-7-8-inch-diameter-handlebars-touring-style

12683-425x350.jpg

12684-500x600.jpg

phpeqzwgZ.jpg

I know I paid extra however the Yamaha OEM heated grips work well. Be aware however that whichever heated grips you select they will only heat your hands and not your finger tips!!! In addition to the heated grips I also installed "Hippo Hands" hand warmers which effectively block the wind from your entire hands thus keeping your finger tips warm as well. Check them out on the web. They,re butt ugly but work very well

Anyone used the factory pre. installed oem wires for an aftermarket heated grips?

My idea is buying Bmw sport grips and a Dual star kit, and a controll unit to place there the the oem switch is suppose to be.

Is it possible to buy the Yamaha heated grips switch only? Or is it only sold with the complete kit?

I read about the switch for Honda st 1300 but it looks like it been removed now days, i might be wrong.

Temps in Celsius for my last 3 rides for the year; 0 - 14(snow), 1 - 11, 4 - 17! With oem heated grips my finger tips hurt from being cold! That's just how it is. For my money and if you have a heated jacket liner that has glove adapters I would spend my money that way! On an earlier bike I had Oxford heated grips and they worked well but, my finger tips still didn't fair well! My 2cents!

Living here in the PNW, and riding all year, I don't think one can have too much electric heating equipment, and water proof equipment. I have heated grips AND heated gloves (Solving the finger tip issue) and use a heated jacket liner all the time (I haven't felt the need for heated pants or socks, but others do, and they are available). Sometimes, I use the heated grips with light gloves, sometimes I use the heated grips full tilt with heated gloves, and sometimes heated grips, light gloves and Goretex rain covers. Sometimes the heated jacket liner is just used as a layer without heat. There is no end of combinations that can be used given any particular weather situation. Since I regularly commute between Portland and San Francisco most of the year, I run into damn near every conceivable situation you can think of. I use the same kit all year long.

Personally, while I love the farkels we all carry on about all the time, I am normally more concerned about riding gear... and my personal comfort while riding. For me that means being covered safely in case of a fall, dry, and warm. My solution , and has been for over 20 years is an Aerostich suit, and electric grips, gloves and jacket liner along with Goretex over-gloves, and waterproof riding boots. I also use synthetic under garments that wick, and wash and dry easily on long trips. (I carry a tiny compressor and tire repair kit just in case). I guess while on a bike I'm a belt AND suspenders kind of a guy.

Actually, none of those things are bank breakers, given how long they last. Because I ride a lot in all weathers, these items are as important as the bike I ride, maybe even more so. I just don't think there is any reason for discomfort, and am very sure that comfort is ultimately a safety issue.

With this kit I am able to maintain the 500 + mile days I often do regardless of the weather. In fact, once one is not concerned about freezing or getting soaking wet, one can concentrate on riding safely, and enjoying the beauty of the scenery, which is often more beautiful and interesting during "Bad" weather.

I have heated grips (Symtec under stock grips w/ an installed Heattroller on the FJR, and a set of Oxford Heaters on the V-strom) and I also have a First Gear (Warm'nSafe) Jacket Liner and pair of First Gear heated gloves along with the dual controller for those two items.

Even when it is really cold, I find that the gloves do the job for maintaining your hand warmth and dexterity. I've never had a time when I couldn't keep my hands warm using them, and I have ridden many times when the temp is far below freezing. Heated grips are great for when you get caught out in the spring and fall and the temp dips a bit more than you anticipated, but when it is really cold forget about them keeping up.

That said, the Oxford grips, which have the heating element impeded in the grip rubber, do a much better job than the Symtec type, which has to heat up the bar underneath as well as your hands.

I'm one of the ones that has the AME grips. I use a Throttlemeister with them.

The throttle side is a little shorter than OEM which forced me to move the switch housing to the left about 3/8 of an inch. It wasn't that hard to do but it was rime consuming. The left side was super easy and I ran the wire through that side's switch housing.

Initially, I connected the grips to the OEM Yamaha heated grip plug. This caused issues where the grips would always flash as if heating. I had a new set sent to me and A'me was very responsive. I connected the new set directly to the battery and haven't had the same issue.

However, on my last trip, 2 times the left grip was on and I couldn't seem to get it to shut off. I unplugged it from its pigtail, replugged it and it worked fine.

The little on/off buttons are a little fiddly on the road. They are kind of small, and if you're wearing thick gloves, they can be hard to activate.

Heat wise, the A'mes rock. They get really hot and the contour is good. Honestly though, I donno if I'd buy them again. I with all the FJRs coming with heated grips now, I would maybe look for a set off a crashed bike. Plug&Play, and probably as reliable as anything else Yamaha.

Oh, I just remembered you have an '05, so not plug and play, but probably still the way to go.

If you decide you want A'mes, PM me and I'll call you about some of the install stuff and the TM install. It'll save you from having to reinvent the stupid wheel.

I went with the Honda ST1300 heated grips for my 07 FJR.

Honda 2004 ST1300 heated grips p/n 08T50-MCS-100.

Pics of an install:

ST1300 heated grip installation

They are about half the cost of the Yami ones, but do require custom wiring. The controller looks better IMHO and the heat level is easier to see in the dark. The OEM is easier to install and easier to see level during the day. I've had no problems with my setup for years now and am very happy with the heat.

I did add the Vstrom handguards to shield my hands from wind to make the grips more effective and have also considered adding a Hippo hands type cover for more warmth. I agree that heated gloves would be best, but I'm still wanting to avoid fumbling with wires whenever I gear up.

1) (excellent) Yamaha heated grips [but expensive]

2) (very good)Oxford heaterz grips [make sure you get the right size and style with the hole in the end]

3) (good) Honda ST1300 [require a little more custom wiring]

But I still use hand guards [Acerbis] and, when it really gets nasty, Watershed's [hippo hands that the motor cops use].

With that combo, I ride year around in the Pacific North-wet. OK, OK, almost all the time but not in the snow or ice ...

I would get a good pair of heated gloves first. I like my Warm and Safe Gloves. If that is not enough and you need more heat then go with the heated grips. I have the Yamaha ones.

Cerebus has a Gen I BBB. The Yamaha Gen I heated grip kit is not the best choice for ease of installation or grip reliability. I have now had two throttle grips with broken internal wires. My first Yamaha grip kit had a bad controller right out of the box.

You want a grip kit that has a variable heat controller, not a toggle switch.

Option 1 would be heat tapes which will let you use the grips of your choice with a power controller like a Heat Troller.

Option 2 is grips with the heat wires molded in the grips like the Yamaha, Honda and Oxford grips. The Yamaha grips are hard and a bit short for the FJR's handlebars.

When it comes to heated grips and active power controllers there is cheap and then there is inexpensive. Cheap is just that, low heat output and bad power control design. Inexpensive (relatively) is heat tapes and a Heat Troller. For more bucks you can buy the Honda controller which looks good and works well. For a whole lot more bucks you can get the Gen I Yamaha grip kit. The kit is universal and generically fits snowmobiles, ATVs and motorcycles. It becomes a FJR1300 kit when they add little jumpers and adapters to fit some of the connectors on the FJR. No matter how it is installed the heat controller is ugly though it works well.

The Yamaha controller senses when the engine is running and will shut the grips off when the engine is turned off. With some of the other grip heat controllers you would need to install an ignition switched relay to get the same results. Accidentally leave the grips on and you will quickly see the benefit of grips that switch off with the engine.

If dangling, tangling wires that you forget to unplug don't bother you then heated gloves are a good option.

Last edited by a moderator: