Heated grips

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oxford heaterz!!

Great product!!Really Hot..!!

https://www.twistedthrottle.com/oxford-heaterz-heated-motorcycle-handlebar-grips-for-7-8-inch-diameter-handlebars-touring-style

12683-425x350.jpg

12684-500x600.jpg

phpeqzwgZ.jpg
I have these... the first heated grips were hotgrip and the rubber on the outside went bad...and exposed the wires inside.

I also bought a pair for my WR but I haven't put them on.
I have installed these two years ago without any problem!They are really hot..!in a very good price.65euro=84$..

I put on the Symtec's last year with a heat troller along with a new pair of gel grips. The whole deal was under a $100. Look at where I live, I know a bit about riding in cold weather. I've yet to use them above half way with standard summer weight Held leather gloves.

Install was easy as pie, in fact the hardest part was instally the new grips.

I installed these grip heaters last winter. The Controler is almost the same as the factory. You can mount it in the same place. You can easiely cut the end of the grips out too to use the factory bar ends or I am using the throttlemeister set up in my bike. The grips are a little larger in diameter than stockers. Some will like that, some wont. The grips are the same length as the stock grips too. I am sure the factory Yamaha heated grips are 2nd to none but I couldnt spring that type of money on them. These work VERY well and I have no complaints at all so far.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-Goldwing-Heated-Grips-1500-/260953670550?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3cc20d0396&vxp=mtr

looking at these... seems to be a new version with smart tech in the controller so it will shut them off
https://www.ebay.com/itm/OF691-Oxford-Touring-Heated-Hot-Grips-Hotgrips-Motorcycle-Motorbike-FREE-P-P-/290815071117?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item43b5edd38dVery
Very good product i believe!Have a look in the manual:

https://issuu.com/oxfordproductsltd/docs/hotgrips-instructions?mode=window&backgroundColor=#222222

Thats awesome... thank you!

are you running the tour edition??

curious what the difference between sport and tour is... beside grip pattern

also, what i'm really struggling with is adding some type of throttle lock device...

i'm not a fan of the throttlemiesters, but if that's my only option....

I have the old version the originals,not the sport but i am very satisfied with them!Have a look in the previously page in my post 7.

Here you can find the old version like mine if you like for 80$:

The originals old version:

https://www.twistedthrottle.com/oxford-heaterz-heated-motorcycle-handlebar-grips-for-7-8-inch-diameter-handlebars-touring-style

The sport old version:

https://www.twistedthrottle.com/oxford-heaterz-heated-motorcycle-handlebar-grips-for-7-8-inch-diameter-handlebars-sports-style

They said the new version is better!but how much better..??In my old version in the 100% mod the grips are really hot!!You can't drive without gloves!!

About a throttle lock i have installed the Go cruise for only 20$ and it works fine!

https://www.fasteddysports.com/?page_id=3&product_id=876

1757_1b_1_zpsb7304138.jpg

An other more expensive throttle lock is the kaoko:

https://www.twistedthrottle.com/kaoko-throttle-lock-cruise-control-yamaha-fjr1300-r1-r6-06-current

Last edited by a moderator:
I just use Symtec with a Heat-Troller. If you buy the genuine Heat-Troller from Warm & Safe you can mount it in the left switch housing and it's very handy, plus works extremely well and looks very sano. LINK

I've also been seeing guys use the KTM heated grip kits on other bikes too. $99 and is pretty complete.

LINK

+1 on the Oxford Heaterz.

Had them on my VStrom, worked so well I put them on the FJR.

Easy installation, good quality wiring and glove friendly controller.

13.jpg

Al.

+1 on the Oxford Heaterz.Had them on my VStrom, worked so well I put them on the FJR.

Easy installation, good quality wiring and glove friendly controller.

13.jpg

Al.
Exactly the same i have!The only minor issue is that they leave a small clearance between the grips and the bar ends but it is easy can be resolved if you will cut a foam collar and install it in the clearance..kamal where did you install the control panel?have you a picture?

I see you have and d&d bar risers..are they comfortable?they are the standard?or the 10 degree version?

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess we're still on topic here
smile.png
, so:

an old picture - some of the stuff has changed but not the controller.

cb1.jpg

the risers are 10 degree (my first purchase after buying the bike), work excellent!

Al.

I guess we're still on topic here
smile.png
, so:
an old picture - some of the stuff has changed but not the controller.

cb1.jpg

the risers are 10 degree (my first purchase after buying the bike), work excellent!

Al.
I have mine in this location too..Thanks for the picture!

Will Oxford heated grips work with a G2 throttle tamer? I currently have a G2 throttle tube with OEM grips, Vista throttle lock, and Grip Puppies.

Trying to picture everything in my head... G2 throttle tube, Oxford heated grips, Vista throttle lock, and Grip Puppies.

Will Oxford heated grips work with a G2 throttle tamer? I currently have a G2 throttle tube with OEM grips, Vista throttle lock, and Grip Puppies.
Trying to picture everything in my head... G2 throttle tube, Oxford heated grips, Vista throttle lock, and Grip Puppies.
If the OEM grips fit in G2,why not the Oxford..?!I am not sure 100% but i believe yes..

I have the Symtec's on my 2006, wired to a fuse block on the battier. Can any one tell me if there is a place to hook them up to the factory wiring harness? If so where would it be located.

On all second gens there is a heated grip connector located under the dash panels on the right side generally near the glove box. The nice thing about this connector is that it behaves much like the headlights in that it does not energize with key-on until the engine starts and the alternator makes power, so you get full battery power during start-ups.

But... I would still not source the grips power from that connector, as that puts the added load (current) of the grips through the ignition key switch. and as we all know, that key switch is already overloaded from the factory load. Instead, I'd suggest that you use that connector to source a signal to energize a 12V power relay and source the heavier load current directly from the battery.

The Gen 2 connects to the ECU for a pulsing ground. So, at idle partial power and you don't get full power until you reach a certain speed and RPM (1800?). This means the factory grips take a while to warm up to full heat and cut back when you drop below the speed/rpm threshold. Not my choice as I would prefer full power available at all times. If one traces the ground to the ECU, you can ground it directly (green w/white?).

If I had no factory grips, I would want a comfortable grip, which have a contour (a little fatter in the middle or a larger diameter overall). A good choice would be the Symtec type heater strips under BMW grips for example. Hi/Lo switch might be all you need, or get a PWM controller or HeatTroller.

The Gen 2 connects to the ECU for a pulsing ground. So, at idle partial power and you don't get full power until you reach a certain speed and RPM (1800?). This means the factory grips take a while to warm up to full heat and cut back when you drop below the speed/rpm threshold. Not my choice as I would prefer full power available at all times. If one traces the ground to the ECU, you can ground it directly (green w/white?).
Good point. This would be true if one were to use the ground wire supplied in the grip connector. And who knows how an aftermarket heattroller would like that variable ground situation.Instead, if you only used the 12V switched hot wire and just used a normal frame ground (or wire run back to the battery negative side if you prefer) the aftermarket grips would work "normally" (ie not engine speed related). Or just use the switched 12V to trigger the relay, as I mentioned earlier.

If I had no factory grips, I would want a comfortable grip, which have a contour (a little fatter in the middle or a larger diameter overall). A good choice would be the Symtec type heater strips under BMW grips for example. Hi/Lo switch might be all you need, or get a PWM controller or HeatTroller.
I also have the symtec heaters which originally had just the Hi/lo/off switch. It sucked, IMO. You were constantly switching them on-off or hi-lo. I later rewired with a Heattroller and life is much better. I do also have a set of the Oxford grips on my Vstrom. Those throw about twice as much heat as the Symtecs. I never run the Oxfords at full blast.

For my money, while heated grips are more convenient on a slightly chilly morning, they are nowhere near as good as a set of heated gloves. When you really need heat for your hands to maintain dexterity the gloves do the job much better, and use less wattage to do it. And yes I do have V-strom hand-guards on my bike already. The only problems with gloves are that you have to remember to bring them with you, and you will be tethered to the bike by a wire.