Heated Grips

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I added grip heaters last year. I forget the brand, but I bought them from Aerostitch. I don't know what the climate is like where you are, but if you're going to be riding in very cold weather, I'd recommend heated gloves, rather than heated grips. I have the V-Strom full handguards as well. On the high setting, the heated grips will get uncomfortably hot on my palms, but that doesn't do jack for the backs of my hands, and I've tried numerous different brands and types of gloves. So I end up with toasty palms but painfully cold fingers. I'm already starting to look into heated gloves for the coming winter season. I think 18*F is the coldest I've ridden in yet. The rest of me is fine, but my hands are a real problem. The heaters are great for cool, but not COLD weather.

And for what it's worth, I wired into the Hazard light circuit. The fuse is big enough. It's a switched circuit. You hardly ever use it. And if you do blow the fuse with your heaters, you haven't lost something more critical, like head or tail lights.

YMMV,

FWIW, I just sold my Gerbing heated gloves and added the Yamaha heated grips. I really didn't like having my gloves connected thru wires up thru my jacket. It took so long to get them on and plugged in, I rarely used them. But then I am in western washington, and I won't be riding hardly ever below 40 deg.

Kurt