Heated Vest And Gloves

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Lumberg

Merica
Reaction score
Since I ride all year,and the 2014 love machine isn't quite warm December-February, I've decided that I deserve a heated vest/liner (instead of looking like the little brother in A Christmas Story), and heated glove liners, since hand protection wasn't on the menu when the gen 3 was designed. I've searched but would like further info and recommendations. I'd appreciate opinions from those using heated gear. I'm looking for something that comes with the hardware to wire straight to the battery, with a controller of course, and would appreciate info for my ignorant ass on how these connect. Wires down the sleeves to power the gloves ( I don't know what works well or how it's even set up)? I don't know what I don't know. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Warm and safe Gen 3 or Gen 4 liners and a wireless heattroller. Comes with everything you need and it is very warm. The shirt and the liner under normal riding gear and you are good to go down to the teens.

I've used the same hardware as MrZappo for several years with no problems what so ever. Good equipment.

I just got me a second hand set of Gerbings and am very happy with them. No wireless, but it's not a big deal for me. Gerbings has various wiring kits available and I got the one that goes from the battery and you install a plug in insert to the bike. I drilled out the panel by the glove box so it's next to where I adjust my grip warmers and put mine there. Took these on my trip to Colorado and even mornings in the 30's and on top of Pikes Peak I was nice and warm. I kept having to remind myself that the road and my tires were colder than I was as I kept trying to ride summer pace up there.

Also, Gerbing has another new line of clothing coming out soon as well, looks more high tech but my stuff works fine.

If you are looking to educate yourself, Revzilla always puts on some good videos. Here's theirs on heated gear.

https://www.revzilla.com/gerbings-heated-clothing

I bought an electrically heated vest from a friend, hooked it to a wired heat roller with the connector located at the left side frame grip. It disconnects without issue if I forget to do so manually when dismounting and walking away...
unsure.png

The power is served up by an aftermarket fuse block located under the rider seat. Mine is a 'fuzeblock' and there are a number of brands available.

I have armoured, thick-on-the-topside gauntlets, and in combo with the heated grips so far has been adequate, given my Fall cold riding season is usually over by mid-November, so I don't get much use at extreme temps. The roads get real nasty here usually by end of November/early December, not to mention the gravel strewn haphazardly by the contracted highways maintenance idiots.

I seem to get more use out of the vest in the early Spring.

Had a heated seat, but never felt need to even connect it up.

Lined riding pants keep my legs comfortable, cold weather boots for them toes.

I'll second the WarmNSafe gear and will point out that any affiliation with a MC group like ADVrider, FJRforum, AMA etc could qualify for a discount of up to 20%. The best bet is just to message or call Mike Coen the company owner and get the details. He backs up all your purchases for LIFE. Seriously, product support never ends, and he will bend over backwards to make sure your purchase works....

You want to connect directly to the battery. Warm and Safe sells a longer harness that you will need in order to reach the battery in the front fairing and power the jacket behind the tank. Be sure to order the longer coax harness with Y-cable option (no cost). The wireless heat-troller lets you control the jacket from a module you can mount in summer on your clutch cylinder. The actual heat control is in the jacket. Very clean and reliable.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a Gerbing jacket liner that I love. It's about 10 years old and they have updated the model since then, but the equivalent would be this one: Linky. I also have Gerbing gloves which are awesome. Here are the gloves that I use: Linky.

As far as installation and wiring, my setup is simple: each glove plugs into a lead coming out of each jacket sleeve. The Jacket then plugs into two leads that poke out from under the seat which go to the main Gerbing power controller, aka "Gerbing 12V Permanent Dual Temp Controller" Linky. This controller is hard wired into a power distribution block that I have mounted under the seat. This way, the Gerbing power controller runs on switched and fused power from the battery. The controller is also connected to two separate temperature controll knobs that I mounted on the left hand "Panel B" below the left hand handlebar (see photo below). One knob controls the temperature of the jacket, while the other knob independently adjusts the temp of the gloves.

I love having the control knobs permanently mounted in Panel B. They are within easy reach, operate great with heavy gloved hands, and are logically located adjacent to my grip heater knob. Installation required drilling holes in the panel itself, but that was pretty easy.

IMG_2790_zps8n62ic13.jpg

Running a Tourmaster heated jacket powered via pigtail and dual powerlet sockets at the seat lock. I'm going to go against the collective here and say forget heated gloves. I've found they are a PITA to live with day to day. Consider Hippo Hands (or something similar) to block the wind and enjoy thinner gloves and heated grips.

Good luck!

--G

Warm and safe Gen 3 or Gen 4 liners and a wireless heattroller. Comes with everything you need and it is very warm. The shirt and the liner under normal riding gear and you are good to go down to the teens.
Agreed. I've been running a W&S heated liner since 2006. And I don't treat it nice either. It finally died. I bought a new one, as a trip was imminent. Mike fixed the old one for free. Great service + product. CandyButtAssociation APPROVED!

Oh yea, my Gerbings are replacements for about a ten year old Widder vest. It simultaneously wore out and somehow shrunk around the belly area, so I needed something new.
biggrin.png

I've had great service from my gerbings jacket liner. I use the portable controller so I can use in on three bikes and my tractor when plowing snow. I bought some gloves which work good but don't fit well so they are for sale.

Gerbing fan here, as well. I really like Tiger 993's console controller set-up. May have to try something similar. Although rarely have to use my electrics here in sunny AZ; mostly for the long haul.

Warm and Safe fan and customer for life. Excellent quality gear and you absolutely will not find better customer service anywhere! Heated jacket liner and heated gloves keep me comfortable into the mid 30s, warm(ish) down into the 20s, able to ride but not very happy about it down into the teens, and still here to talk about it down into the 0s.

The thing about the heated gear is that it doesn't have to be super cold for it to have real value. Once you have it, you'll find yourself using it at times when you haven't just HAD to have it up until now. Like when the sun goes down and the temps drop, or when you are changing altitudes.

I just install a power port on the bike which is wired through a fuse block, and use a dual controller that I attach to me that controls the liner and the gloves separately. My jacket liner has the wires for the gloves run inside the jacket with connectors at the wrists.

1 powered lead running from the bike to the dual controller on my jacket. 2 leads running from the controller to the jacket liner, and then a lead at each wrist that zip away for storage if you are not using your heated gloves.

Add me to the list of satisfied Warm & Safe users, with a twist. I use their heated glove liners, which lets me use my normal gloves but still get the warmth of powered heating. For me, it was the best option.

I'm also a big fan of using an LD Comfort long-sleeve mock zipper top (the one Mario himself models on the web site) under my heated jacket. If you just wear a cotton t-shirt under your heated gear, you may wind up with hot spots - uncomfortable areas where the heating element overheats the moisture that a cotton shirt absorbs. With an LD Comfort top, the fabric wicks moisture away from your skin, and the high-tech dual-layer fabric will distribute the heat more evenly.

No connection with either company other than as a satisfied, full-retail-paying customer.

Running a Tourmaster heated jacket powered via pigtail and dual powerlet sockets at the seat lock. I'm going to go against the collective here and say forget heated gloves. I've found they are a PITA to live with day to day. Consider Hippo Hands (or something similar) to block the wind and enjoy thinner gloves and heated grips.
Good luck!

--G
+2

Don't count out CycleGear, if you get their stuff on sale it's a killer deal. I got their jacket + the controller for $99, it works the nuts plus the quality is good. The sleeves are wired to plug right into the gloves..slick. I'm frugal (cheapskate?) and like getting the most for the least without sacrificing too much quality. Obviously if $$ is not an issue, other top line brands would be better still. Aerostich has top stuff as well.

... you may wind up with hot spots - uncomfortable areas where the heating element overheats the moisture that a cotton shirt absorbs. ...
The heated vest I use, made by Exo2, uses a conductive material, not wires, to generate the heat. This always enures even heating. Also, its resistance rises rapidly when its temperature reaches 50C (122F), so it can never overheat.
I'm very happy with my vest. Although not very high powered, its good insulative properties make it very effective. I also often use it without power simply because it's warm, wind-resistant and breathable (at least that's what their blurb says, and I've no reason to doubt it).

Exo2 do a range of heated clothing for motorcyclists and others. I don't know if it's available in the USA.

As usual, no affiliation, just a satisfied user with good customer experience.