heated vests vs. heated jacket liners

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kindofblue

Reaction score
Mogan has posted a thread about Aerostitch's Darien Jacket with an inflatable electric vest liner in this section click here. This has got me to thinking about getting a heated vest or jacket liner but I didn't want to hijack his thread as the topic is broader than his title.

In looking at the various options there seem to be pros and cons for each. What are your thoughts about the various options?

Aerostitch inflatable heated vest.

Pro: fills the cavity in your jacket to make the heating more efficient (i.e., fewer drafts coming up from the waist

Con: attachable sleeves aren't heated.

Heated jacket liners (Widder, Gebring, Aerostitch, etc.)

Pros: Heat to your arms as well as core

Cons: They aren't inflatable and can allow drafts to come up from your waist.

Last edited by a moderator:
Add to both this con:

Neither offers the SkooterG patented Quiche Warming Pocket. ;) :D

FWIW, no drafts will come from the waste if you cinch up your jacket's waste adjusters.

FWIW, no drafts will come from the waste if you cinch up your jacket's waste adjusters.
Twowheelnut,

Last October (2-4) I rode from Anacortes WA back home to Abq, NM. It was COLD :bigeyes: I had my jacket cinched around my waist as tight as I could make it but could still feel cold air coming in from my waist. I finally stopped at Satan, er Wally Mart, in NV and got a cheap (and I do mean cheap) synthetic down vest that filled the cavity of my jacket and that made the cold more bearable.

How cold was it? I had to avoid Idaho because it was having a snow storm. But I was getting the backwash of its low pressure. It was so cold I couldn't ride faster than 85 or so in NV or I would've turned into an ice cube :blink:

Was the waste snug as could be? Leave a vent open (I do that all the time!)? My Joe Rocket allows no drafts in when snugged up tight. And I'm gonna guess you had the screen raised, too. If you bring it down so that the airstream hits your face shield that should limit the backdraft effect some. Afterburn just put on the Cal-Sci screen with the vent holes that he claims quells the backdraft, too.

By the way, don't say anything to the other board members, but I recently picked up a Widder vest. :secret: (Yes Skyway, I pussed out and got one when I froze my gnads off going over 33 a couple of weeks ago - it was in the teens at 5,000 feet!) I would venture to guess that the air heated vests won't go so far as to provide that great a benefit over non-air types. The vest fills up what room there is left over in my jacket quite well. I'll forego the arm chaps and heated gloves as the vest keeps me quite toasty enough.

Oh, one complaint about the Widder is the wiring connections: Very stiff "straight" wire is used. Get the coil type if you can and I've yet to find a good spot to locate the controller.

I'd be really interested to hear the pros and cons of Widder vs. Gerbings units. They seem to be comparable, but it would be nice to hear from those who've actually used the hardware.

Carla, a gal we ride with, has the Gerbings and I like their hook-ups better than Widder. She tucked the controller behind the fairing - sweet. Everything is of high quality with the Widder, but they slacked a bit on the hook-ups, IMO. The main reason I went with Widder is that they are in the next town over so if something goes wrong I can get things taken care of face to face.

Widder heated clothing requires much less wattage. Very significant on a bike like the FJR that doesn't have a lot of extra wattage capacity.

These jackets run power through resistance wires which convert the energy into heat. I figure the higher power draw of Gerbings (more wattage) means that more heat is given off. If so, then the user would just compensate and turn down the setting on the controller a notch or two, at which point the Gerbings would end up using the same amount of power.

Comments?

I've got the Gerbings liner and it rocks. No wind comes up from the bottom (there is an elastic gather). With the expensive power control you are not 'wasting' any electricity (not pulling full average draw at lower settings) and I haven't had a problem on the FJR yet.

I considered Widder and my buddy is very happy with his vest. I passed on it because I figured any time I was cold enough to want heat then my arms want heat too (and their arm chaps just look a stupid solution to me). I also like the idea that I can connect heated gloves directly through the liner (or pants) but I am finding I want a separate control anyway.

I also like the phase-change materials but on long rides that material won't help (as it gives up all the energy it had stored), only in varying conditions.

The air vest concept sounds weak to me but all the formal reviews are very positive.

I've got a Widder sleevless and a Gerbing with sleeves. The Gerbing rocks. No problem with wattage or drafts and the heated arms are great. The neck is great as well on the Gerbing.

I've had a Widder for at least 5 years (and 3 bikes)and am very happy with it. Then again I've never used a Gerbing. My Widder has the heated collar which I find a very necessary component to prevent the hunching of my shoulders when its chilly.

I took care of the cheap feeling connectors/wiring by making a harness using a Jastek plug and a suitable length of 18 gauge lamp cord. The cord is long enough that I can stand next to bike (for preflight checks) but short enough to not flap around once underway. The Jastek socket is switched and I also use it to plug in the Yuasa Hot Shot battery tender. Works for me.

I find that the Widder vest and heated grips provide enough external heat to get me through the coolest conditions I typically encounter.

FJReady

Widder

pros:

fits close to the body so you layer over it before getting to your outter jacket/shell (jacket liners result in layering under the heated liner; putting you farther from the heat)

made with Thinsulate so that often the electric heat isn't even needed until it gets much colder (insulated yet still packs small)

excellent customer focused company that stands behind their products and helps the riding community by providing swag to events (something many others don't do)

modular so you can take just the vest or vest+arm chaps depending on what type of weather might be expected

easier on your charging system than anything else on the market

cons:

last forever so you don't get to buy new stuff all the time

(btw: i had a gerbing. after getting the widder, it hung in the closet unused for several years until i finally sold it.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks all for your many perspectives and opinions. I've decided on a jacket liner and I'm leaning towards a safe-n-warm system with a Heat-Troller. Catfish, a guy on the FJR listserv is a rep. and he and I are discussing a group buy that would provide some great discounts on safe-n-warm liners and heat-trollers. Stay tuned. If we work it out I'll create a new thread and let everyone know. B)

I also recently got a heated jacket liner from Gerbing in addition to the heated gloves and I can't say enough praise. The jacket liner is made to your measurements and fits very snug. It has an elastic waistband, which will close out any air creeping up from the bottom. The neck is heated as well and provides a lot of heat. Yes the Gerbing's have a higher current draw than the Widder stuff but I always have to turn down the heat anyways so they never draw the full amount anyways. More current = more heat. That is one reason why I bought the Gerbing clothes. Plus, I do not know that I always will have an FJR with a weak alternator.