Heavier springs needed

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobG

Reaction score
I was looking at Racetech and their spring rate calculator for the 06 FJR, for my weight as one up rider (240lbs) I would need to replace the front fork springs to a 1.2kg rate spring. The rears just by swinging the lever to hard will be close.

I was wondering why this bike felt too soft. Now if I put my wife on the back it would put us at 390lbs.

I would need a 1.5kg fork springs, and 1.3kg shock spring.

Haven't even checked for gear weight added.

Any sources for the increased springs.

I don't need the service, just the springs.

I use Eibachs on my dirt bikes but no such luck for street.

Bob

Log onto Progressive website. They make fork springs for pretty much all street bikes.

Did you try Works?

I have Eibach springs on my bike, I'd call them and ask. The spacers had to be trimmed, but they work great.

Just got my Eibach from gpsuspension.com

(Thanks Tom for installing them with all the other great work you did!).

Just decided to order the Penske rear shock as well from gpsuspension, should be here this week.

Steve

I was looking at Racetech and their spring rate calculator for the 06 FJR, for my weight as one up rider (240lbs) I would need to replace the front fork springs to a 1.2kg rate spring. The rears just by swinging the lever to hard will be close. I was wondering why this bike felt too soft. Now if I put my wife on the back it would put us at 390lbs.

My weight with riding gear is the same as yours and the .95 KG Eibach in the front forks and and 11.5 KG Wilbers spring on the shock are very adequate.

I was looking at Racetech and their spring rate calculator for the 06 FJR, for my weight as one up rider (240lbs) I would need to replace the front fork springs to a 1.2kg rate spring. The rears just by swinging the lever to hard will be close. I was wondering why this bike felt too soft. Now if I put my wife on the back it would put us at 390lbs.

Haven't even checked for gear weight added.

Any sources for the increased springs.

I don't need the service, just the springs.

I use Eibachs on my dirt bikes but no such luck for street.
Ahh, the sport-touring suspension dilemma. The correct spring strength for the load (with a changing load). The old Kawi Concours used air pressure added to a soft-ish spring so that you could adjust for heavier loads. Trouble is -- air doesn't make a very nice 'spring'. The stock FJR rear shock has both a light spring and a heavy spring -- good idea (if only it were a higher quality suspension unit). I think, progressive type (variable rate) springs for high-load use are not a good idea -- you tend to use-up (collapse) the light part right away and are then left with the shorter heavy part. Better, I think, to have a good, full length, spring of the proper strength. Mama Yama also offers other springs -- the Gen Is came with softer springs for U.S. use than their Euro counterparts.

Good luck, solving this dilemma w/out air assist...... :huh: :)

Last edited by a moderator:
The Eibachs are about $90 from GP suspensions.

Their website is www.gpsuspension.com

Their phone # is 503-723-7793.

They come with new spacers also.

The race tech springs look like ok springs but you've got to cut the stock spacers down and juggle their washers with the stock to work.

I think you'd be better off and an easier install with the eibach springs.

The eibachs are about an inch and a half longer then stock and give the frontend a much better ride.

If you change the springs you might as well change out the cheesey stock steering head bearings with Allballs racing tapered roller bearings,they'll cost you about $22 from university motors.

It just makes good sense to do this also while you've got the forks off and it's money well spent.

Those two items will give your bike a smoother feeling front end.

I had a long conversation with Lee at Traxxion just yest. I am going to have my Gixxer and FJR done.

In the conversation with him he noted that the typical Sag #s are not truely relevent for a beast such as the FJR and also recommended using a Static spring rate vs a progressive for the FJR as well. IE I am going to let them set both my bikes up in the front. The rears are already done.

If you are really interested. PM me as a 3 bike deal may get a discount cut.

Thanks for all the info. I use the Racetech calculator to determine the spring rate I need for riding.

I usually buy Eibach springs.

The problem I am running into is Eibach only go up to 1.2 kg and I would like the 1.5 kg front.

I am probably over the weight limit of the bike as it is configured right now, or maybe even later.

FJRFencer thanks for the offer, I will be calling around after the holidays. I need to get a feel if I need to get the complete suspension reworked, or if the springs would suffice.

Trimmantom I put the rollers on about 7-8 months ago.

Madmike2 I will also be calling Works, they list a BMW shock set I want to talk to them about also.

It may be I just put in the 1.2 kg and call it good, then just ride one up only.

I need to talk to all the sources you all provided and see what they think.

Bob