Heli bar question

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Figstr

Reaction score
I've been reading this board all day for the past 2 days in preparation of getting my FJR. The wrist position seems to be a big issue with many riders. I've seen the freebie fix by removing the pins from the underside of the bars and the Heli bar/riser fix, along with the other 2 risers that I've seen mentioned in the forum. Since I'll be riding that bike about 5 to 6 hours on my way home from the dealership, I want it comfortable. I'm 5' 10" with an average reach. Based on your experience, could I get away with the freebie fix or would it be better to go the Heli bar/riser route our perhaps just the Heli bar alone. Does the Heli bar/riser also correct the angle of the bars and swing them to a straighter position?

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been reading this board all day for the past 2 days in preparation of getting my FJR. The wrist position seems to be a big issue with many riders. I've seen the freebie fix by removing the pins from the underside of the bars and the Heli bar/riser fix, along with the other 2 risers that I've seen mentioned in the forum. Since I'll be riding that bike about 5 to 6 hours on my way home from the dealership, I want it comfortable. I'm 5' 10" with an average reach. Based on your experience, could I get away with the freebie fix or would it be better to go the Heli bar/riser route our perhaps just the Heli bar alone. Does the Heli bar/riser also correct the angle of the bars and swing them to a straighter position?
I have the Helibar triple tree on my 06 AE. I liked the pullback closer to me with the unit but I wanted the bars a bit higher. Therefore, I purchased the Helibar risers to go on the Helibar. It made the perfect setup for my 5'10", 34 shirt length arms and body. I am happy with the setup that I now have. I have not noticed the angle to be a problem at all. The helibar setup makes for a perfect setup for spending many hours in the saddle. Hope this helps. :yahoo:

The risers are priceless for long trips. If I'm not on a touring trip I take them off. But for hours on end riding... theyre a lifesaver.

I too added the Heli-bars upper triple clamp, the new position of the bars csn be likend to putting on your favorite pair of shoes. You know when it feels right!

Almost a work of art for an accessorie.

I am 72" tall for consideration.

These things are all relative.

My last bike was a GSX-R 1000. The FJR feels like a lounge chair!

My view is the ride position is perfect for its intended role - sport touring.

YMMV...

I changed mine out with the Heli bar and the riser, and now I just love the bike.

I was wondering if I had made the wrong decision in buying the bike at first, but now I am glad that I did change to the Heli bar and riser. I did go thru a period with the hurting wrist, but not nearly as bad as without the Heli bar setup. I just took a few Aleave about an hour before I got on the bike, and have noticed that the wrist are in shape now to the new angle and I never take the aleave anymore nor do I feel the pain during the ride nor after the ride.

Richard

Might I suggest THIS little beauty.

DSCN1589S.JPG

it is 1 1/2" up and 1 1/2" back. all in one part.

Just got my Helibar and cant wait to get it installed on my '08. I added Sargent seats to my bike and they are comfortable but put you a little further back from the tank so I need to get the bars moved back and bit and everything I have read on the forum seems that the Helibar is the Holy Grail for these kinds of issues. I am 5 '11 and a 35" reach so this should make a perfect fit! Just had another snowstorm blow through Denver so Spring is being illusive.

I have the Heli Bar on my Gen 1, as well as Sargent Seat... Its a good ride but I don't find myself sitting all the way back, I like to hug the tank more, so I'm getting less support... Picked up a used Russell Day Long driver seat from a member here, hoping the seating pocket it a bit more forward to get me more @$$ support for longer rides, as well as not have to make any changes to the bars...

That might be the holy grail ticket for me to get the most comfort....

I've been considering the MV Motorrad riser - it seems to be the CATS @$$ albeit - expensive

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php/topic/146408-my-impressions-of-the-mv-motorrad-bar-riser/

Last edited by a moderator: