Heli Top Clamp Warning

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sqidget

Reaction score
Be VERY careful when installing the new top clamp from Heli. Apparently they dont clean out the sandbalsting residue from the tapped holes. I was installing the ignition switch screws with a 1/4 " ratchet, when about 1/2 way in it felt like grit on the screw then it bound up. TOTALLY siezed. Can't tighten any more and it is still 1/4 inch off the switch. I then tried backing it out , not happening. Then used a rocking motion back and forth, finally it snapped. So now I am fucked. I looked into all the other holes and the top 1/4 to 1/3 are clean, after that it is full of crud. Chase the threads on all holes with the correct tap and be sure they are clean!

Better luck to you.

Oh man, ...I got a sick feeling in my stomach just reading that. I'm sure it can be fixed, ...but that certainly isn't the way you'd had your week planned.

Sorry, ...and thanks for the heads up. I was planning on the Heli's for this fall.

Be VERY careful when installing the new top clamp from Heli. Apparently they dont clean out the sandbalsting residue from the tapped holes. I was installing the ignition switch screws with a 1/4 " ratchet, when about 1/2 way in it felt like grit on the screw then it bound up. TOTALLY siezed. Can't tighten any more and it is still 1/4 inch off the switch. I then tried backing it out , not happening. Then used a rocking motion back and forth, finally it snapped. So now I am fucked. I looked into all the other holes and the top 1/4 to 1/3 are clean, after that it is full of crud. Chase the threads on all holes with the correct tap and be sure they are clean!Better luck to you.
Contact Heli - they are stand-up folks and will make it right in my experience. Sorry for the case of the ass - not expected from a USA manufacturer.

Gary in Fairbanks, who's owned three of their top clamps. The most recent from the Group Buy is clean in all holes BTW - just checked.

Last edited by a moderator:
Be VERY careful when installing the new top clamp from Heli. Apparently they dont clean out the sandbalsting residue from the tapped holes. I was installing the ignition switch screws with a 1/4 " ratchet, when about 1/2 way in it felt like grit on the screw then it bound up. TOTALLY siezed. Can't tighten any more and it is still 1/4 inch off the switch. I then tried backing it out , not happening. Then used a rocking motion back and forth, finally it snapped. So now I am fucked. I looked into all the other holes and the top 1/4 to 1/3 are clean, after that it is full of crud. Chase the threads on all holes with the correct tap and be sure they are clean!Better luck to you.
Contact Heli - they are stand-up folks and will make it right in my experience. Sorry for the case of the ass - not expected from a USA manufacturer.

Gary in Fairbanks, who's owned three of their top clamps. The most recent from the Group Buy is clean in all holes BTW - just checked.
I installed my triple tree with no problems and they were great to deal with

Sorry to hear about the problem. i had no problem installing mine.

Last edited by a moderator:
I replied above late last eve, but today took a closer look at all the tapped holes on mine. Just got it last week via the Group Buy. Bike will be here in a week. Ran a dry Q-tip through the holes to bottom and it came out white/clean. Then shot some brake cleaner into them and was able to get some light grey residue to drain on a paper tower. Not much, but as you recommend, we had better clean the holes with some sort of solvent just to be sure. I use Blue Permatex for the fasteners, and that may have lubed them enough to work ok.

Still though, sorry to hear of your plight. Give Heli a call Monday and I'm sure they'll make it right. They really should recapture the part and examine it just in case someone forgot to blow out all the holes after the bead blasting. Not like their usual production quality in my experience.

Gary in Fairbanks

I'm happy all the other installs went great. I did not post this as a bash to Heli as much as venting and to pass along a little info others might benefit from. I have used Heli for some other bikes and it has been top notch quality. It must have been Monday morning when it was processed. It took about 45 minutes to set the clamp in the milling machine, use a end mill to machine the bolt out, then just pull the remaining bolt threads out like a ribbon, and chase the hole with a tap. I can see a small section of the threads in the hole that are missing now, but only 2 or 3 threads. It is still plenty strong enough for a ignition switch. I installed it this afternoon. It looks very good, but I haven't gotten to try riding it yet.

So all is well after all. :yahoo:

Wow sorry to hear about our trouble. I was planning on installing mine tomorrow morning. So I Just pulled it out and checked and the holes in mine are clean so it looks like somebody messed up the final QC on yours.

Thanks for the heads up and like others have said give Heli a call, they should make this right.

Good Luck

Wow sorry to hear about our trouble. I was planning on installing mine tomorrow morning. So I Just pulled it out and checked and the holes in mine are clean so it looks like somebody messed up the final QC on yours.

Thanks for the heads up and like others have said give Heli a call, they should make this right.

Good Luck