Heli Triple Tree AND Risers

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tesla

Reaction score
I've read much about Heli risers but many do not make the distinction between their triple tree and and the dedicated risers so its hard to tell whats what. After a good ride today here in DFW where it was 65 degrees (don't mean to rub it in for you northern boys) it became apparent that I will need something to minimize the ache in my right shoulder. Heli's triple tree is a good start but the question is how much improvement do I get if I also install the risers that can also be installed in addition to the triple tree. The dedicated risers will only raise the handlebars 3/4 of an inch but does NOT bring the bars closer to the rider. Heli confirmed in an e-mail that there is enough cable length for both triple tree and the riser but I don't see how.

The other question is what is a #30 in the context of drilling in or around the triple tree. Saw this mentioned on another thread and mentioned it to my mechanic brother who had no idea.

Finally, is there a thread with pics that show how to install the Heli's. I did see one with pics but it was limited mainly in that it showed pictures post installation.

After a good ride today here in DFW where it was 65 degrees (don't mean to rub it in for you northern boys)
That's ok dude. Us northern guys will return the favor in a few months when we are riding around in 80 degree weather and you are trying to go fast enough in DFW to somehow stay cool in 95 degrees and 95% humidity. I was in DFW once, to visit my sister. Spent the entire week in her pool. Ate my meals in the pool, watched tv in the pool, got drunk in the pool, peed in the pool.

I've read much about Heli risers but many do not make the distinction between their triple tree and and the dedicated risers so its hard to tell whats what. After a good ride today here in DFW where it was 65 degrees (don't mean to rub it in for you northern boys) it became apparent that I will need something to minimize the ache in my right shoulder. Heli's triple tree is a good start but the question is how much improvement do I get if I also install the risers that can also be installed in addition to the triple tree. The dedicated risers will only raise the handlebars 3/4 of an inch but does NOT bring the bars closer to the rider. Heli confirmed in an e-mail that there is enough cable length for both triple tree and the riser but I don't see how.
The other question is what is a #30 in the context of drilling in or around the triple tree. Saw this mentioned on another thread and mentioned it to my mechanic brother who had no idea.

Finally, is there a thread with pics that show how to install the Heli's. I did see one with pics but it was limited mainly in that it showed pictures post installation.
I installed the Heli triple clamp on my 06AE. Then decided I wanted the bars even a little higher, so I ordered the Gen-Mar 1" risers. When I got the risers and did a test fit, it did not look like there was any way my cables and wires would be long enough. So I returned them to Gen-Mar. And I could swear that when I purchased that triple clamp from Heli, about a year and a half ago, their website and the installation instructions said NOT to add risers to it. I don't see that on their site or downloaded install sheet now. Wonder what changed? Or maybe I am just mis-remembering?

Being short, (5'7") the triple clamp did WONDERS! Didn't need extenders at all. Very easy install. Just need a torque wrench for the final step, that is the hardest part.

I'm 5' 11" and need more of an upright position to be comfortable. I use both the Heli triple clamp and their risers on my Gen II. The cables will be long enough.

After a good ride today here in DFW where it was 65 degrees (don't mean to rub it in for you northern boys)
That's ok dude. Us northern guys will return the favor in a few months when we are riding around in 80 degree weather and you are trying to go fast enough in DFW to somehow stay cool in 95 degrees and 95% humidity. I was in DFW once, to visit my sister. Spent the entire week in her pool. Ate my meals in the pool, watched tv in the pool, got drunk in the pool, peed in the pool.
LOL! We do have miserable summers. I'm 48 and been in DFW all my life and still hate this oven we call Dallas.

I'm 5' 11" and need more of an upright position to be comfortable. I use both the Heli triple clamp and their risers on my Gen II. The cables will be long enough.
SC, I'm assuming that the triple tree is the hardest installation between the two. Are the risers a fairly easy install? I'm thinking of trying just the triple tree first and later installing the risers if I feel they are needed but if its a real pain in the ass I can install both at the same time.

I believe you need to speak to Johnny80's. Big John will inform you that it is, indeed, possible to install both.
It was based on Johnny80's experience that I got my Triple tree AND riser.

I've read much about Heli risers but many do not make the distinction between their triple tree and and the dedicated risers so its hard to tell whats what. After a good ride today here in DFW where it

was 65 degrees (don't mean to rub it in for you northern boys) it became apparent that I will need

something to minimize the ache in my right shoulder. Heli's triple tree is a good start but the question

is how much improvement do I get if I also install the risers that can also be installed in addition to

the triple tree. The dedicated risers will only raise the handlebars 3/4 of an inch but does NOT bring

the bars closer to the rider. Heli confirmed in an e-mail that there is enough cable length for both triple

tree and the riser but I don't see how.

When I got my triple tree the site explicitly states that the Triple Tree and the Risers cannot be used

together as the cables are too short. Not true on my 2009 and I suspect many others. The combo

was a perfect solution to alleviate my lower back pain and the more upright position allowed me to

use less pressure on the grips and reduce the numbness in my right hand, adding a Cruise Control

took care of the rest.

Installing the Heli Triple Clamp is straightforward and if you have the proper tools together and basic

mechanical skills, you can do it in about 2 hours. The trickiest part, as I'm sure you have read over

and over, is drilling out the security bolts on the key switch, the results are worth the trouble.

Finally, is there a thread with pics that show how to install the Heli's. I did see one with pics but it was

limited mainly in that it showed pictures post installation.
I suspect that a #30 is a drill bit size, the drill bit size isn't critical - getting the drill centered is more

important than the bit size.

There aren't any real "tricks" to installing the triple clamp, just follow the directions from Heli, you do

need to re-route the throttle cable but that's really quite easy after disconnecting them from the

throttle tube.

After the Triple Tree the risers are a simple bolt on affair.

Last edited by a moderator:
A #30 drill bit is just slightly larger than a 1/8th. It allows for a little room when installing fasteners.

I believe there was a post by Patriot which showed his set up of the triple tree and 2 sets of risers.

On a Gen II bike you can put on the Heli triple clamp and then install a set of risers. Heli's website at the time said it was not possible. I called them and they sent me their last set of risers and I tried it and confirmed that it did work. After that Heli started producing the risers again. They did not even have the decency to send me a t-shirt. Bummer. Putting the risers on is very easy. The only hard part is drilling the bolt for the ignition. If you can use a drill with any sort of competency you can do this project. Take your time and make sure you drill right in the center of the bolt and straight. If you don't get the bit centered you will have to break out the dremel to finish it up. You can always take it to someone who has a drill press.

Dustyrains - you have to buy the heli risers for them to work with your heli clamp.

jet mechanic - Patriot has a Gen I and uses a different set of risers.

Good luck.

On a Gen II bike you can put on the Heli triple clamp and then install a set of risers. Heli's website at the time said it was not possible. I called them and they sent me their last set of risers and I tried it and confirmed that it did work. After that Heli started producing the risers again. They did not even have the decency to send me a t-shirt. Bummer. Putting the risers on is very easy. The only hard part is drilling the bolt for the ignition. If you can use a drill with any sort of competency you can do this project. Take your time and make sure you drill right in the center of the bolt and straight. If you don't get the bit centered you will have to break out the dremel to finish it up. You can always take it to someone who has a drill press.
Dustyrains - you have to buy the heli risers for them to work with your heli clamp.

jet mechanic - Patriot has a Gen I and uses a different set of risers.

Good luck.
Thanks for that. I think I will, by golly.

SC, I'm assuming that the triple tree is the hardest installation between the two. Are the risers a fairly easy install? I'm thinking of trying just the triple tree first and later installing the risers if I feel they are needed but if its a real pain in the ass I can install both at the same time.
Once you've taken care of the ignition switch, everything else, including going back to add risers later if you choose, is easy.

Does the triple tree plus riser cause your hands/arms to be reflected in the mirrors and decreasing visibility?

Does the triple tree plus riser cause your hands/arms to be reflected in the mirrors and decreasing visibility?
I changed out my mirrors because when I installed the v-strom handguards they took up most of the reflection in the mirrors. I don't remember what it looked like without the handguards.

FYI if you search for the heli part numbers on the forum you find many threads about this with a lot more info. Everything I posted I referred to the heli part numbers.