HeliBar Tour Performance Handlebar Bridge - anyone have one?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flagstaff

Reaction score
I guess this product is too new to have many installed by forum members. I'm currently using the 1" block risers, but this looks like it might work to give me a little more upright riding position. I just hate to be the beta tester, though the price seems reasonable given that you will have three position choices.

So, how about it. Do you have these mounted on your bike, and if so was it a good investment?

Which of the three positions did you like best?

https://www.helibars.com/product/yamaha-fjr1300-handlebar-bridge-2006-2013-us-european

Thanks.

I would be curious as well. I know that the MV Motorrad plate is very popular with many forum members. That plate gives you .8" up and 1.57" back. The Hellibars give you 1" up and 3" back in the stock bar position. I would much rather have 3" back. The downside is having to install the clutch line extension. Does a person need to bleed the clutch system to install the extension?

I just got one and will be putting it on soon. I currently have a MCL riser and will be checking out the difference.

I just ordered one and according to UPS it will arrive tomorrow. I will be installing it on Dad's bike ASAP. Whenever that is. Since I have not read any detailed reviews of it here I may try to post up some pics when I do it along with some thoughts.

Since I know Pop will be sitting more upright and taller in the saddle, I also ordered a new Cee Bailey Reverse Contour plus 4 plus 4 to replace the Standard Contour plus 4 plus 2.

I just know the grouchy old rascal will be wanting a custom seat next.

I just remembered that when he brings the bike for all this fun work, he is also bringing new spark plugs and an air filter. Today's parents and their entitlement issues...

FYI I have this for sale. Was installed on my 08 and removed when I traded it in for the 2014.

DSC00456_zpsb489c7e0.jpg

All hardware and instructions included. $180 shipped in continental US.

The 2006-2013 Yamaha FJR1300 HeliBars Tour Performance Replacement Triple Clamp offers two bar mounting options. The forward mounting option positions the stock bars 0.5 inch higher and 1.25 inches back while rotating the grip angle 1 degree forward for a comfortable yet sporty feel. The rear mounting option positions the bars 0.5 inch taller and 1.75 inches closer to the rider for the greatest comfort possible.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the link. Too bad he was unable to ride the bike with the bridge in place. Installation and aesthetic are important, but the ride will be the real test.

UPS has had an error and my bridge was not delivered. They have no idea when it will be delivered although its last location was only about 50 miles from me. Looks like I will not be installing these first thing in the morning.

I enjoy watching my packages getting closer by following along on the UPS tracking website, but seeing the "Delivered" status when there is nothing at the front door can be quite frustrating.

Hope they track it down soon. It is not like it is something people could use...though the aluminum might be worth a couple of dollars at the scrap yard.
uhoh.gif

I've got the old heli bar risers and the same old issues with the handle bar angle. They could probably be four inches taller and the angle would still kill me. How bout since these are so pricey one of you fellahs buys em then sells em to me used when you get tired of em?

The bridge arrived today. After working out in the cold wind all day I am going to sit in front my fireplace and sip on a beverage. I called Pop and told him I had the part, but requested he NOT ride over for me to do the install.

He is good with that, he is also sitting in front of his fireplace. I will report further on the installation.

I have had the Tour Performance Heli bar riser on my 07 since it was new, it was my first farkle, It took the weight of my upper body off my arms and I could sit up straight. I did have them mounted at first dealer oil change.

FWFE

Bridge installed! No pics at this time. Took 1 hour and 45 minutes, partly due to scrounging for tools. This is not a super easy installation, but it is not terrible either. Kudos to Heli-Bars for providing COLOR photos for every step.

Pop was greatly pleased. He had better be, I worked a 10 hour day and then rode over to his house to do the installation.

We put the bars in the "middle" position. Pop sat on the bike and as soon as he placed his front paws on the grips, he smiled and said, "Now this is where it's at!" I offered to move them back and forth while he sat on the bike but he refused.

I will report further on the install and the "feel" as soon as I can.

Will be interested to hear about the installation and fit details of the "new" Heli-Bar bridge setup. I considered this when I bought/installed the MV riser. There was a lot of forum traffic on the old tried and true Heli-Bar setup but not much on the new bridge when I purchased. Mihalis Fjr and others convinced me to go to MV. Been happy with it so far.

I installed the Helibar touring bridge on my new '13. I installed the Helibar triple clamp on my old (now deceased) '06. To me the touring bridge is an improvement over the triple clamp and "easier" to install. The brake line extension is, perhaps, the hardest part of the install. It wasn't that difficult and works well. It is not as esthetically pleasing perhaps but I'm used to it by now.. I considered replacing the brake line with stainless, but will defer that, perhaps indefinitely... I did bleed the brakes, but actually I don't think it was really necessary. I think the more upright and further back (rearmost position) is best for me and my short arms. Very happy with it so far, but I've only put 500-600 miles on it since installation.

Please keep us posted as you put on more miles, but I have a few questions you might be able to answer now.

- Which of the three positions did you decide to use, and the reason why you picked that one.

- Did the more upright seating position have any effects on wind management? Did it put you more in the wind stream? If yes, could you compensate by adjusting the wind shield?

- Have you noticed any negative effects when in the twisties?

Thanks for your input.