HeliBar Tour Performance Handlebar Bridge - anyone have one?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay, time for a better report and a few pics.

The shots I wanted to see before I spent the money:

Yes, I know it needs washing.

First, the one negative I have about the Heli-Bar bridge is that I feel they misrepresented the "3 position adjustability". I interpreted that as 3 distinctly different places to bolt the bars. That is not correct. The bars are infinitely adjustable over a decent range, they pivot. The farther forward, the flatter the angle and the farther apart the bars. Pulled all the way back they are closer together and match the original angle and width. Effectively, they work just the same as the MV Motoradd bar risers, they just don't say that is how they work.

I put the bars in the "middle" position in anticipation of being able to move them in either direction according to Pop's feedback.

Pop rode the bike about an hour and a half yesterday and reported back that the change is WONDERFUL!!! His tired old back did not hurt, he had less fatigue, and he enjoyed the ride more. He reported (oddly) that he felt more "in control" and that the bike was easier to turn. I am guessing that the easier turn is because the bars are effectively wider than before and he is no longer leaning on them as he turns. He says the Top Sellerie seat is more comfortable now with less pressure under his man parts. He was not happy with the extra wind hitting him now that he sits higher.

He rode it all day today and was waiting in my driveway when I rode in from work this evening. He says that the bike is now all day comfortable and he is extremely pleased with it. Except for the wind protection. He was forced to run with the Cee Bailey +4 wide +2 tall standard contour all the way up all day.

Fortunately, I anticipated the wind issue and had ordered the Cee Bailey +4 +4 reverse contour when I ordered the bridge.

So, I did this:

And what did Pop do? He did this:

You're a good son.
Thank you for saying that. Pop was very happy with me when he left here this evening. I not only installed the new shield, I re-bled the front brakes and adjusted the angle of the brake line extension. I will admit that he had Mom bring supper over for all of us so technically my labor was not "free".

I called him when he got home and he is uncertain about the taller windshield. He says it is tall. He says there is no wind at all anymore. He thinks it will be great in cold weather and perhaps if he gets caught in a hail storm. He is undecided about it for warm weather. I may be posting it for sale here depending on his verdict.

This is for a height vs rider position reference:

" He is undecided about it for warm weather."

That is why I also have a CB 15" smoke shorty for summer. The larger CB flip is too effective at blocking wind for hot weather but would not do without it for cold temps. Hope my sons take care of me like you do your dad.
pioneer.gif
winksmiley02.gif

Great information and photos, thanks for the write up. I had the Heli triple clamp & risers on my '06 and it helped. Now I need something for the '14. Does anyone know if the bridge riser works on the 2014 ES? It looks like it should.

I decided to give the Helibar Bridge a try. The package arrives today. If it does work for me someone will get a chance to buy one at a discount.

My installation should be quite easy since I already have bar risers. The cable stays and the plate they are attached to have already been removed so no need to remove the triple tree. I might have to redo some additional wiring I've added, but that is about it. I'll take a few pictures of any areas that are problems.

Good luck, I hope you find them to your liking. The increase in setback over the risers is substantial, plus you have the ability to adjust the angle/width. As you note, the worst part of the job is already done. I was stressed over removing the triple clamp.

No real problems with the install, but as I mentioned previously, I already had done the hardest part when I installed the small risers under the bars. The most difficult part was rerouting the throttle cables, but that was due in part to my aftermarket wiring in that area. No test ride yet since I decided to install a new shock. The old one has been removed and I await the new one which arrives today.

I agree with Redfish Hunter that the 3 position idea is a bit misleading. I'm initially set up for the position with the bars at the widest spread. That seemed like it would be more comfortable on my wrists on a long ride. I also think I'll like the added leverage for slow speed maneuvers. I'll have an actual ride report once the new shock is installed.

Flagstaff,

Do you find the OEM angle of the bars a bit draining on the wrists on longer rides?

I'm wondering about the getting these as well, and I'm curious to see if moving the bars back some, but keeping the same angle would still be useful. Or will the angle be even tighter?

I dont think I could hangle the bars being closer together than they are currently.

Flagstaff,Do you find the OEM angle of the bars a bit draining on the wrists on longer rides?

I'm wondering about the getting these as well, and I'm curious to see if moving the bars back some, but keeping the same angle would still be useful. Or will the angle be even tighter?

I dont think I could hangle the bars being closer together than they are currently.
I'm not the best one to ask since I have arthritis that is very pronounced in my wrists. Nonetheless, I did buy this to relieve some of the pressure on my wrists that was caused by the slight forward lean of the stock arrangement. My bar risers, while just under an inch, did reduce the forward lean a bit and help relieve pressure on my wrists. I'm with you in that closer bars would not be good comfort-wise. Before I tightened everything up I moved the bars through the full range that the bridge allows. I'm just sitting on the bike in the garage, no riding yet, but the most comfortable was the most spread out. Pulling them closer together will move them back slightly, but it did not seem to be all that much considering how much higher and further back the bridge places them compared to stock.

Thanks! It looks like I need to order this then! Having an inch higher and 3 inches back (max position) should be great for me then! I wish I was a little bit taller... oh well, gotta make due with what I got!

With a new shock installed I was able to test out the Helibar Bridge, and I am very satisfied with the results. The difference might not seem that great, but the bridge sits me up just enough to take the weight off my wrists. My CeeBaily with reverse curve is set pretty much in the same position. The only change is that I needed to move my tank bag back. The bars will hit it but only in very tight walking type maneuvers like backing out of the garage and doing a Y-turn in the driveway. With a magnetic bag it was a simple task to just move the bag a little further back on the tank.

I left the bars set at the widest position so low speed handling is markedly improved. Handling on sweepers was very good, though some of that was due to the new shock. I bled the brakes at the calipers, after bleeding at the end of the brake line extension. I think that the bleeder on the extension could just be eliminated.

Let me clear this up for you.

In the rearmost setting, as far back as the bridge will allow, the bars are at exactly the same angle and width as the OEM. They are just much further back.

In the most forward setting, the bars are 3 inches wider than OEM with a much "flatter" angle.

The bars will not be any closer together with the Heli-Bar bridge than they are stock.

Pop seemed to appreciate the change in width and angle, he said it felt more natural and that he seemed to have more control. You have to decide on that one for yourself.

Great information and photos, thanks for the write up. I had the Heli triple clamp & risers on my '06 and it helped. Now I need something for the '14. Does anyone know if the bridge riser works on the 2014 ES? It looks like it should.
I called and they say it will work for the ES model. I will give it a shot and let you know how it goes.

Another follow up on this bridge:

In a surprise move, Pop decided to move his Garmin Zumo 660 to the RamBall mount on the bridge. It has been mounted on the left handlebar from day one. I admit I find it a cleaner, better looking installation but I was concerned about it being too low and diverting his eyes too far down. He says it is actually better and less distracting, plus it flows more with the instruments on the dash.

Pop has tried and retried but cannot be completely happy with the Cee Bailey shield. I am ordering another one two inches shorter, hoping for the best.