Hella FF50 Question

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BikerGeek99

Yeah, it's a concrete corn cob. So?
Reaction score
Hi, all.

I've done some searching, poking and prodding and decided it's time to ask.

I've ordered Garauld's FF50 brackets and now I'm getting ready to order the FF50's themselves.

Is there a significant advantage / disadvantage / performance difference between the clear-lens FF50's and the blue-lens FF50's? The only difference I've been able to discern is the blue-lens version is more expensive.

Thanks!

Blue is a filter so it will reduce the net amount of light. The FF50 are a great value for the additional lumens they provide, but they're not in any excess of lumens they provide. You want every available photon aiming down that road at night. I wouldn't get the blue any more than I'd wear sunglasses at night.

...unless this is all about bling and cruising the strip to impress chicks. If that's the case....then by all means the blue is dope. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Blue is a filter so it will reduce the net amount of light. The FF50 are a great value for the additional lumens they provide, but they're not in any excess of lumens they provide. You want every available photon aiming down that road at night. I wouldn't get the blue any more than I'd wear sunglasses at night.
Thanks, Iggy. I appreciate it. While I don't do any real LD riding, and typically don't ride a whole lot at night, I'm adding these as a little bit of insurance, since we're planning on some longer rides in '09. I'd just like the option of throwing more light down the road if wanted / needed. Plus, the expense of the FF50s is easier for me to swallow than the expense of a full-bore HID kit.

...unless this is all about bling and cruising the strip to impress chicks. If that's the case....then by all means the blue is dope. ;)
Word yo, G-Iggy. Leg 'er down 'n smack 'em yak 'em. Cold got to be. You know? Shiiiiit. (Golly!)

Last edited by a moderator: