Hello from New Orleans

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xyzzy

Reaction score
Hello fellow Riders... my name is Bobby, but I use Xyzzy as my "road name". Xyzzy was a magic word in a very early computer game, and it transported the player from one place in the game to another... that's how I feel about my motorcycles. I've been riding off-and-on since childhood... mini-bike, moped (Honda 50), two-stroke street bikes in the '70's and more recently Vespas and now my beloved FJR. I missed earning my IBA membership by three hours on a 30 hour ride on the Vespa, but have knocked out a few certificates thanks to the FJR. I'm looking forward to contributing to the community here. My Vespa is now my city bike and the FJR is for distance. I've estimated that I have about 100k miles on two wheels so far, but now it's time to get serious.

I don't do a lot of my own maintenance yet. I live in the inner-city without a driveway, but have a great relationship with my independent shop. I've come here looking for FJR specific advice and anecdotes. I've got plans for very long rides, and will be looking for other folks' perspectives.

Attachments

• DGR FJR 2024 Uptown 2.jpeg
    DGR FJR 2024 Uptown 2.jpeg
    29.3 KB · Views: 0
welcome from SC! I read your post topic and wondered if your name was a spin off from Rush YYZ which is magic in its own way...

I think that Colossal Cave Adventure predates YYZ by a few years... who knows if Rush was inspired by the game. It's an obscure reference, and no-one has ever commented on my license plate, however, its not so obscure that I didn't have to add a digit to my plate since the phrase was already taken in Louisiana.

Hello fellow Riders... my name is Bobby, but I use Xyzzy as my "road name". Xyzzy was a magic word in a very early computer game, and it transported the player from one place in the game to another... that's how I feel about my motorcycles. I've been riding off-and-on since childhood... mini-bike, moped (Honda 50), two-stroke street bikes in the '70's and more recently Vespas and now my beloved FJR. I missed earning my IBA membership by three hours on a 30 hour ride on the Vespa, but have knocked out a few certificates thanks to the FJR. I'm looking forward to contributing to the community here. My Vespa is now my city bike and the FJR is for distance. I've estimated that I have about 100k miles on two wheels so far, but now it's time to get serious.

I don't do a lot of my own maintenance yet. I live in the inner-city without a driveway, but have a great relationship with my independent shop. I've come here looking for FJR specific advice and anecdotes. I've got plans for very long rides, and will be looking for other folks' perspectives.
Welcome from Arendal, Norway. Ride safe🏍️.

I think that Colossal Cave Adventure predates YYZ by a few years... who knows if Rush was inspired by the game.
That is a REALLY old computer game! (YYZ by Rush was released in 1981, I think). YYZ was actually inspired by the three letter designation for the Toronto Pearson International Airport. There is a bit of a backstory on that...

YYZ - Rush

Oh, and since Rush is/was a Canadian group, the title is pronounced Y - Y - Zed (not Zee).

Welcome from Canada's East Coast...

Last edited:
I think that Colossal Cave Adventure predates YYZ by a few years... who knows if Rush was inspired by the game. It's an obscure reference, and no-one has ever commented on my license plate, however, its not so obscure that I didn't have to add a digit to my plate since the phrase was already taken in Louisiana.
I was a Hunt the Wumpus fan, ci. 1975

Welcome!