Hello Gun Owners

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, I like the AR-15, too. My old M-16 was a sweet shooter. Sure did want to keep that rifle when I got out. Seemed fair to me.
At my NATO unit, we qualified with German weapons and they qualified with ours. Then we get to wear each others shooting badges. Wouldn't you know it, my M-16 was fairly neutral in sight adjustments, so those German boys must have put 400 or 500 rounds through it in one afternoon. I thought I'd never get that rifle cleaned up. Didn't jam one time.

They carried a G3, in 7.62, but not the 39 mm length, the long round. Looked like a 30.06 to me. Nice straight shooter, but heavy as hell.

Those were the days. Lots of fun.

85th USAFAD

Tevern, Germany

1976-1979
SKS is 36

I believe the AK-47 is 54

.308 is 54 also

.308 is slightly shorter than a 30.06

I think a 30.06 is 63

Quick hijack for Sparky3008; did you notice that Danica got married a few days ago? :erm:
Yea, I saw an interview about the marriage before hand.

Not that it really matters, I never had a chance anyway. :D

But serious, I like her because of what she has done. Takes a lot of courage to do what she does and put up with all those guys.

My moms a cop. At 5' 4" 120lbs when she started she was one of the few woman on the Plano Texas force that made it. She has been a cop for almost 30 years.

I have a daughter that I have always told could do anything. Just because she's a girl doesn't mean squat. Just means you get to do more than we guys can do.

Back to the regularly scheduled thread...

With the money I have in guns I could have a fleet of FJR's. With .22's alone I could have a few.

The best value for the money for accuracy, etc. is a CZ. They are the most accurate .22 for the dollar.

The following website is pretty much devoted to .22's and other rimfires. They have several .17 caliber rimfires now based on the .22 and the .22 magnum. They cost around 12 - 20 cents per round. They are quite accruate but a little pricey to shoot if you just want to shoot tin can.s

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/

Absolutely concur on the Ruger 10/22 comments. Great safe, reliable beginner rifle. Positively "bulletproof". :)
Now, if you're in to SERIOUS rodent herd thinning, check out THIS video...

WARNING! GRAPHIC HIGHSPEED, STEEL JACKETED BALLISTIC CARNAGE. NOT P.E.T.A. SAFE!!
RadioHowie,

I'm on slow-ass dial up. The 12 minutes that it took to download the p-dog video was worth the wait. It's kind of the same result with my .17HMR on chipmonks.

Thanks for sharing.

Depending on what you have for a back drop, thay make a 22 long rifle 'Rat Shot' exits the barrel like a mini shotgun shell. It has more spread than a single bullet and the shot has less of a danger of going long distance. :bleh:

Depending on what you have for a back drop, thay make a 22 long rifle 'Rat Shot' exits the barrel like a mini shotgun shell. It has more spread than a single bullet and the shot has less of a danger of going long distance. :bleh:
I've fired shot shells through my /22 bolt action. The rifling causes the shot to spead out so much that they are pretty much useless beyong 10 feet. There are a few smooth bore .22s out there made specifically for shot shells but you'd probably want a real shotgun if you want to shoot squirrels with shot.

You probably already know this, but in case you don't, in NY you can shoot a gun in your yard as long as you are at least 500 feet from a neighboring building. Hunting with a rifle is prohibited in some counties so you'll have to check on that before you start filling your stew pot.

Glenfield Model 25 from Marlin Firearms using 22 shorts is my primary rodent dispatcher at home. I back it up with a Crossman Legacy 1K .17 cal pellet gun. Both are equipped with 4x32 Weaver scopes.

The Glenfield, from 1975, is used only when I am able to see the offending rabbit in my designated “kill zone”. I keep the muzzle in the house when firing to reduce the sound footprint and the “kill zone” has berm as a backstop for any rounds that pass through the little bunnies bodies.

I will take the Legacy on my recon missions when actively pursuing the furry little prey. Sound is minimal but the round is so fast(1K fps) it tends to blow right through them and they run for 15 or 20 feet before dropping. Head shots stop them in their tracks but the angles are not always positive for that shot.

The two “Hasenmoders” have accounted for approximately 250 confirmed kills in the last 31 months. Yes, we have a rabbit problem in our neighborhood. The wife and I planted 33 shrubs(in 2 gallon containers, not tiny bushes by any means) on the Thursday before Memorial Day 2003. Came home Sunday to 33 circles of mulch. They ate everything right down to the plant crowns.

A Coopers hawk and an owl have taken up sides in the fight. Their kills tend to be noisy(rabbits ‘scream’ as they are being attacked, shot, etc.) and somewhat messy at times. The owl likes to kill’em and then eat while sitting on my deck. The Hawk for some reason likes the roof. Both leave the less appetizing portions for me to clean up, fur, feet and skulls(with the tops ripped open and the brains eaten of course.)

:assasin:

I've fired shot shells through my /22 bolt action. The rifling causes the shot to spead out so much that they are pretty much useless beyong 10 feet.
Many Moons ago, my college roomate and I formulated a solution to our mouse problem. That's right .22 with "bird shot". Accompanied by many beers and alot of patience he bagged that sucker from the seated position on the couch to about 10 feet to the target which was behind the TV. We then polished off the case of old swill. Instant classic.