Helmet Air flow and water leakage

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sliderule

Reaction score
Remember, I'm still just a FNG. The helmet I got when I got my bike, last November, is the Scorpion EXO 1000. I liked it with all that I read about it and the dealer thru it in the deal. So now I've had it a year and am wondering how it really stacks up, like maybe I should go buy something different just to check out the difference. A couple things I'm wondering about is how much air flow and water leakage is to be expected around the face shield. The dealer is telling me that what I'm discribing is to much and is working to get me another one. But can you get to where there isn't any. I also like the looks of modular helmets now that I've seen what's out there. Again, I say I'm just a FNG, first bike and everything. Thanks for your input. :)

Any brand should have air flow,and should be able to close off air/water leakage.

Since they aren't going to let you ride in the rain to test one.The only thing left to do is close the vent,put your mouth around it and put your hand on the inside and blow.If you can feel air on your hand,that's too much leakage.

I'll though this in while we're in this test area,testing for waterproof clothing is the same,but suck.If you can suck air though it,it's not waterproof (Gortex is another story).

Water leakage around the face shield can be easily fixed.

On the Scorpion, raise the face shield. On each side is a screw. Loosen it slightly and you can adjust the face shield forward and/or backward to bring it against the seal. Tighten screw.

Lubricate the seal with silicone periodically.

FWIW, I have Arai, Shoei, and Scorpion helmets. My Exo700 is quieter and has more air flow than the other two (in my subjective experience). Not to mention the no-fog and photo-chromatic shield!

Last edited by a moderator:
Ya...Your shield shouldn't leak. Something is probably out of adjustment. Regarding the type of helmet you will wear, be careful with modular helmets. They are not considered full-face because they have a tendency to open up in a crash. As much as I would like a modular, just for the convience, I only use full-face helmets for the protection they offer. If you do go with a modular, look for something with metal locking mechanism parts.

On the Scorpion, raise the face shield. On each side is a screw. Loosen it slightly and you can adjust the face shield forward and/or backward to bring it against the seal. Tighten screw.

FWIW, I have Arai, Shoei, and Scorpion helmets. My Exo700 is quieter and has more air flow than the other two (in my subjective experience). Not to mention the no-fog and photo-chromatic shield!
I have done this and replaced the side plates thus the reason the dealer is trying to get me a new one. Is the no fog really that good? As bad as mine fogs when the shield is working, I can't imagine what it must be like on the others.

Regarding the type of helmet you will wear, be careful with modular helmets. They are not considered full-face because they have a tendency to open up in a crash. As much as I would like a modular, just for the convience, I only use full-face helmets for the protection they offer. If you do go with a modular, look for something with metal locking mechanism parts.
Thanks, I will keep this in mind.

Any brand should have air flow,and should be able to close off air/water leakage.Since they aren't going to let you ride in the rain to test one.The only thing left to do is close the vent,put your mouth around it and put your hand on the inside and blow.If you can feel air on your hand,that's too much leakage.

I'll though this in while we're in this test area,testing for waterproof clothing is the same,but suck.If you can suck air though it,it's not waterproof (Gortex is another story).
Good idea except my mouth won't fit around the face shield. :rolleyes:

I have done this and replaced the side plates thus the reason the dealer is trying to get me a new one. Is the no fog really that good? As bad as mine fogs when the shield is working, I can't imagine what it must be like on the others.
Sorry, but you didn't mention you'd already tried adjusting the shield in your original post.

Yes, the anti fog is that good. Keep the visor clean. A bit of air flow is needed to keep it totally clear, but it's better than nontreated shields and better than FogCity adds.

Sorry, but you didn't mention you'd already tried adjusting the shield in your original post.

Yes, the anti fog is that good. Keep the visor clean. A bit of air flow is needed to keep it totally clear, but it's better than nontreated shields and better than FogCity adds.
:unsure: My bad, guess I should have given more info, but thanks all the same.