Helmet for oval shaped head

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickV

Reaction score
I'm in the market for a full face or flip front helmet. Haven't riden in about 13 years, so I'm sure things have changed a little in the world of helmets. I have a large, oval shaped head. Would like to narrow down my search without having to try on every brand out there. Any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks,

Rick V

I'm in the market for a full face or flip front helmet. Haven't riden in about 13 years, so I'm sure things have changed a little in the world of helmets. I have a large, oval shaped head. Would like to narrow down my search without having to try on every brand out there. Any suggestions appreciated.
Thanks,

Rick V
Rick, I just bought an ARAI PROFILE. I have what I call a peanut size head and long oval shapped. If you look at my avatar picture, I'm wearing a Shoei RF-1000 which works okay, but will move sideways on my head some. My wife is taking my Shoei, so I picked the Arai just last week. The problem when looking for an Arai is finding a dealer that has some on their shelves that you can try on. I tried on several helmets at the CycleWorld Bike Show a few weeks back and was able to decide on the Profile Model.

The size chart on ARAI's website seems to be pretty true, at least it was for me. I purchased my Arai Profile from https://helmet.com. Their advertised price on the site says $427, but they had it advertised two weeks ago for $356 so they were nice enough to sell it to me at the $356 price. Ask them about the lower price and you might score one. That price is a steal for this helmet!

If you have a long oval head shape, the Profile is an excellent helmet fit. They also have the new Vector which is a Intermediate Oval size. Again, if you are able to try before you buy, that's the ticket. HELMETSHOP.com will exchange a size free of charge if you need to do so.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

Smoke

I have a large, oval shaped head. Would like to narrow down my search without having to try on every brand out there. Any suggestions appreciated.
Thanks,

Rick V
I would highly recommend the Arais. I've been wearing them for 20 years, and are the only brand that fit my head. The Shoei, although great quality, leave a real red spot on my forehead from a pressure point.

I have owned two Signets, a Quantum, Astral, and an RX-7. The Quantum and RX-7 fit the exact same, and a bit rounder than the Astral. I then bought an Astral, which is more oval, and it wasnt too, bad, but I ended up with the Signet (which was also what i started with). The signet is the most oval lid i have ever tried on and fits like a dream. I do find it loud (for a $800 helmet).

I am now in the throws of waiting for a new Profile, which is the replacement for the signet (now discontinued). As comfy as the signet is, it just doesnt hold a candle to the new profile. I hope it is more quiet than the Siggy.

I also want to warn you about Ebay-- there are (or at least, were) a lot of knock-offs there. Be careful.

I am very please with my Scorpion EXO for $140. The next best fit for my head was an Arai. A lot of the high $ helmets did not feel right to me. Shoei was fair and a Schuberth or Nolan was a definate no-no.

Last edited by a moderator:
Shoot a pm to the SkooterG. I think he has one of those weired heads also.

You do know that a head shape like that is a sure sign of alien abduction, don't you? Keep an eye on the toilet for any latent probes that may surface over time. Those things bring big $$$ on ebay.

I have an Arai Signet GT size XXL and it fits my oval shapped block head perfectly. It comes with different sized cheek bolsters for a custom fit. The Shoei I had before this caused a hot spot on my upper forehead after a couple of hours.

I found the best deal at the helmetshop.com in Daytona Beach. They are probably running a bike week special right now.

I'm wearing a Schuberth Concept 2 at the moment which I love. However, there's nothing more comfy for my oval shaped head than an Arai. I also have a Signet GTR which is the most comfortable helmet I've ever owned. The Schuberth also works well on oval heads and is just a tiny bit less comfy. Makes up for it with features I love (flip, sun visor, less noise).

HJC has finally come out with a second shell shape that fits long oval heads in their "high end" helmets. I have the AC-12 which I have found very comfortable, its in the $225 range. Be aware when trying them on that this particular helmet comes on two shell shapes, I think most manufacturers have different styles for their different shells.

Why the long face Rick?

Me too...Arai Quantumn II works for me.

Since I'm one of those long oval types, I've been a long time wearer of the Arai Signet. Switched 15K miles ago to a Scorpion EXO 400, love it! For the price of one Arai, you can have two of the Scorpion units! Plus changing the shields on the Scorpion won't make you cuss the day you bought the helmet like the Arai does.

Thanks,

Rick V
Rick,

I'd recommend the Caberg Justissimo for oval heads in the Flip flavor. Internal sun visor and anti-fog score big points for LD miles w/me.

+1 also for Scorpion EXO-400.. I've got over 100k on 'em and think they are just super (anti-fog and anti-scratch visors are the cat's ass)... .anxiously waiting the Scorpion flip due out late summer.

Best of luck on your decision.

AGirl

p.s. For a helmet vendor I'd recommend Helmet Harbor

"Why the long face?" What did the bartender ask the horse?

AGirl: I tried on a Caberg Justissimo this weekend & really liked it, except for one small problem... my chin is right up against the chin guard.

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions.

RickV

The Arai Quantum is for a round head.

For oval heads it's the Arai Signet or Profile. Or the Shoei X11, which is my preference.

For the best price (I just got through shopping online for a Shoei X11 and Arai Quantum II, and went everywhere you can go for decent prices) go to Parts411.com. Don't go by the prices listed, find what you want and call them for the real price. Beat out Helmet Harbor by far.

Scorpion_EXO-700_Silver.jpg

To me the most comfortable was my Arai Quantum but $$$$$ I've also had a HJC AC11 and Shoei RF1000 (the 2 felt similar) I just bought a Scorpion EXO 700 and its about as comfortable as the Arai with a much better/easier shield change mechanism (I hated the Arai's!) and more comfortable than the HJC and Shoei. Very plush cushions, snug fit and quiet. No fog shield/breath guard really works!!! looks good to.

The Shoei and HJC large fit me and the Arai and Scorpion Xlarge fit. As mentioned the Arai and Scorpion are tops and I prefer the Scorpion for price and ease of use (shield change).

www.Tonker.com $179

Steve

I am one of those with the oval head and have tried a number of lids.

The Z!R was the first I found that spcifically states theres are for the "Cacasian" shaped head.

I bought the Z1R in the modular style, "Oh happy day" it works!

I got an HJR modular that is going to be a closet stuffer until I can get up the courage to throw it away.

Thats all great info ....but in Fla. best venting/most air flow in the helmet is probably #2 on the list. Comfort and bad airflow is what I've got with KBC, HJC and Scorpion. :angry2: One shop says Shoei and another says Arai. Whats the general consensus?

Thanks,

Rick V
Specifically, for flip ups. The Nolan fits a rounder head. Mine leaves a red mark on my forehead.

Flip ups are attactive, but understand they are much louder (as a general rule).

For long rides, significant highway time and communicators, full faces are much better for noise.

Lots of newer brands out there. Go to a dealer and try some on.

Shoei RF1000 has been very good to me.

One shop says Shoei and another says Arai. Whats the general consensus?
They both make very good helmets. I'd say equal in quality, just a bit different in design. Your probably running into the sales persons preference when one says X the other says Y.

For a well ventilated helmet I think there is little disputing that the Arai RX7 Corsair and Shoei X11 (my preference because of fit) are the best. Remember though, better venting means more noise. Now it's down to which one fits your head the best. The Arai RX tends to fit round heads, the Shoei X11 oval heads.

Find a shop that carries a wide variety and models of manufacturers and go try some on. If you have a Cycle Gear nearby they usually carry a great selection of helmets.

HTH,

BTW, what's the Nova in the avatar? I had a 69 SS 396/375 for many years.