Helmet Guardian helmet locks

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I put the guardian on my 06. If I hang the helmet (SHOEI RF 1000) by the smaller part of the metal buckle where the chin strap already goes through and turn the helmet sideways a bit it holds tight against the bottom of the rear fender and is several inches from contacting the muffler. This works on either side and with two helmets. Of course a real strong wind or someone bumping the bike might knock the helmet to the side and onto the muffler but so far so good.

You know, tonight was the first time I actually needed to hang a helmet off the guardian since I installed it a couple of days ago and just as Fred said, the $300.00 Shoei helmet with its $50.00 face sheild hangs on the muffler. So, as DPLEOGS does, I proceeded to shove my nasty ass fender into the bristol clean helmet in order to keep the friggin thing from toasting on the muffler. Time for another solution. I bought two of these things so I have an extra one for sale if any feels they need one....

Last edited by a moderator:
I had no issues mounting the Helmet Guardian on my 06. You will have to take the round reflectors off, but no big deal. Yes, the helmets hit the exhaust but I solved that issue. Go to any motorcycle shop and they will have a set of metal helmet extensions for locks. These are used alot on sport bikes where the helmet lock is a hook under the seat. Its always hard to get your D rings on the hook and then get the seat back on. These extensions work for that. For the helmet Guardian, it allows the helmet to hang lower, below the exhaust.
As far as re-keying the locks, not a big deal to me because I already have other keys to carry with me for my Xenia disc lock, my Kryptonite cable lock. Get a two piece key chain that allows you to put your ignition key on one ring and the other keys on the other ring. When you go to start the bike, disconnect the one key ring from the other.

It helps to have experience from a sport bike, where you have NO storage room whatsoever. Sometimes you have to get creative.
flyinlow,

are there different size extendors or is it one size fits all? I want to make sure i clear the pipes.

thanx (you just saved me a helmut guardian return)

GreyGoose

I went to a salvage yard and found an old helmet lock that had the proper cylinder with the right key-way channel for the Yamaha key to fit it.

I gutted it and took the cyclinder out and rekeyed my Helmet Guardian lock so it now works with my FJR key. I also found that the helmet locks on the VStar 1100 at the dealer fit the Yamaha key. I posted the part number info in a post below.

Here are photos of how to re-key the lock if you are interested.

https://www.pbase.com/fredharmon/helmetlocks

I still need to go find another cylinder to do the other lock, but I am a bit happier with the Helmet Guardian now that I can make em work with the Yamaha key.

I also need to find an alternate mounting location so that the helmets don't contact the hot exhast pipes. I'll work on that next.

I bought a Helmet Guardian from Cyclegadgets.com a few years back for my '03 and had the locks re-keyed to use my ignition key-no issues. Maybe some changes were made since as mentioned.
Yes, mounting them behind the license plate and using them there can be tricky.

I found out about the brackets (believe these only work on '03-'05 FJRs) from TownsendsFJR1300 that allow you to mount the locks on either side of the bike below the side panels and this is a great set-up!!

So why hasn't Yamaha incorporated helmet locks of some type on the '06 FJRs??
Anyone have a way to contact TownsendsFJR1300? I've sent messages and emails with no response while trying to purchase his mounting brackets.

Thx.

Well, I finished up the project tonight. Here is a look at how I mounted them. I threw away the Helmet Guardian mount, as I didn't want my helmets resting on the mufflers. I now have them higher up so that the helmets have lots of space between them and the mufflers.

You can see all the photos of the process making the brackets and rekeying the locks here:

https://www.pbase.com/fredharmon/helmetlocks

medium.jpg

As stated in an earlier thread their are different lock cylinders for the Helmet Gardian. I did some research on the Helmet Gaurdian and was told they come with different lock assemblies, you cannot order one specific style... I too purchased a lock assembly from the Yamahe dealership for a Yamaha however that too is a hit and miss thing. You may get one with the correct lock cylinder assembly maybe not.. I did come up with a bracket that uses the Helmet Gardian (or Yamaha lock assembly) that bolts up to the frame, with no modifications and looks stock. It works with side bags on or off. They DO NOT fit the 2006 due to a change in the body work.... I apoligize however I did not receive any preevious e-mail's. Should anyone be interested please e-mail me direct at: [email protected] for further information/pictures, etc.... Thanks, Scott

TownsendsFJR1300 said:
As stated in an earlier thread their are different lock cylinders for the Helmet Gardian. I did some research on the Helmet Gaurdian and was told they come with different lock assemblies, you cannot order one specific style... I too purchased a lock assembly from the Yamahe dealership for a Yamaha however that too is a hit and miss thing. You may get one with the correct lock cylinder assembly maybe not.. I did come up with a bracket that uses the Helmet Gardian (or Yamaha lock assembly) that bolts up to the frame, with no modifications and looks stock. It works with side bags on or off. They DO NOT fit the 2006 due to a change in the body work.... I apoligize however I did not receive any preevious e-mail's. Should anyone be interested please e-mail me direct at: [email protected] for further information/pictures, etc.... Thanks, Scott

And thanks CAJW