Helmet Guardian locks

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hi guys when i got mine i put the yamaha key in the lock and then filed the pins flat works a charm, i mounted them to the base plate under neith the top box on a piece of 50mmx50mm aly angle , looks like it belongs there

Help!! I bought a Yamaha lock assembly and the groove on the key is opposite that of my ignition key. Has anyone had this happen and able to swap out the cylinder to match the ignition key?
Same here, short of hogging out the keyway with a Dremel, I could see no way to make the key work. I tried to see if I could use the tumbler from an extra saddlebag lock but they are different on the back. Now I've got a useless lock sitting on my bench unless I want to carry around two sets of keys. Not sure where the thread is but someone posted a link to an ebay seller selling these locks and obviously they were mistaken or the seller screwed me.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just got my Yamaha factory locks yesterday and the FJR key will fit and one, but not the other. Was able to rekey one of them to the FJR key, but looks like I am screwed on the other. I will have to keep an extra key in the glovebox for my wife's lock.

This "getting screwed by the seller" part is why I have always emphasized to NOT buy these locks unless you try them with your key first. It's a 50/50 proposition. Don't know about your life but in mine that equates to 50/50/90: I have a 50/50 chance and 90% of the time I'm wrong.

You didn't heed the advice so you bought the wrong thing. You weren't sold the wrong thing.

This "getting screwed by the seller" part is why I have always emphasized to NOT buy these locks unless you try them with your key first. It's a 50/50 proposition. Don't know about your life but in mine that equates to 50/50/90: I have a 50/50 chance and 90% of the time I'm wrong.
You didn't heed the advice so you bought the wrong thing. You weren't sold the wrong thing.
Advice had nothing to do with it. I bought a lock recommended and linked to, by a forum member, so there was a reasonable expectation that the information was valid. But thanks.
rolleyes.gif

Well, it appears most if not all Yamaha ignition keys have the channel cut on the right side of the key. If by some remote chance one of you have a Yamaha or Guardian helmet lock with the key channel cut on the right side and would like to sell or trade it let me know. My helmet lock is a Yamaha with two keys and like new.

Be aware that the lock used from the "Helmet Guardian" can come in one of two flavors. If you wish to re-key to the FJR ignition key (documented on the forum) you need to start out with the correct flavor of the "Helmet Guardian" supplied lock. I found this out the hard way...having received the wrong lock type in my initial order from A&S Powersports . You can see what I'm referring to in the pic below.

Keycomparison_anotate_gpg_crop_zps1ca69746.jpg

Fortunately, Josue at A&S was able to help me with an exchange after comparing the keys of some they had in stock with the pic that I sent him. They had 30 in stock! (this was in Oct. '13) So, if ordering a "Helmet Guardian", be aware of the lock types and request a lock with a key type that matches the FJR ignition key from the get go.

Be aware that the lock used from the "Helmet Guardian" can come in one of two flavors. If you wish to re-key to the FJR ignition key (documented on the forum) you need to start out with the correct flavor of the "Helmet Guardian" supplied lock. I found this out the hard way...having received the wrong lock type in my initial order from A&S Powersports .
Fortunately, Josue at A&S was able to help me with an exchange after comparing the keys of some they had in stock with the pic that I sent him. They had 30 in stock! (this was in Oct. '13) So, if ordering a "Helmet Guardian", be aware of the lock types and request a lock with a key type that matches the FJR ignition key from the get go.
They did swap it for you then, great!!

Yes, Scott, I only had to pay for the return postage. What I would do if I were purchasing "Helmet Guardian" again is to purchase from a place like A&S Powersports that keeps them in stock and CALL their customer service BEFORE ordering. Have them confirm that they have a set in stock that meets the key-style as shown in the picture of my post. Once you have the correct lock key type, re-keying via the forum documented method was pretty easy.

Yes, Scott, I only had to pay for the return postage. What I would do if I were purchasing "Helmet Guardian" again is to purchase from a place like A&S Powersports that keeps them in stock and CALL their customer service BEFORE ordering. Have them confirm that they have a set in stock that meets the key-style as shown in the picture of my post. Once you have the correct lock key type, re-keying via the forum documented method was pretty easy.
Excellent!! Enjoy!!!

Now that the hurricane is gone and got my power restored yesterday, I finally got busy installing Scott's helmet lock bracket and locks.My new 2016 ES was delivered to my house on Friday morning, the day before the hurricane arrived so did nothing until the day before yesterday. Sad to have to stare at a brand new bike and not be able to enjoy it for 7 days.
Anyway remembered that I needed to key the helmet locks to match the ignition key so searched out these awesome, well written instructions. The pictures are what did it for me! I grew up on comic books!! Thank you.

The first of two locks was easy peasy with swapping 2 pins and worked perfect, installed on right side.

The second had 4 pins that did not retract completely. Swapped them around in all possible combinations and got it down to three that would not go flush. Gave up and made a run to my storage unit where all my tools are temporarily stored until I move into my new house next month. Picked up my dremel and a set of jewelers files to make needed adjustments. Rode the bike to the storage unit and when I opened the side case to put the Demel inside I discovered there is a spare side case lock set already keyed to the ignition. Surprise, surprise, (in my best Pyle imitation). Swapped the cylinder and the left side is complete.

Now I have a spare cylinder that is not keyed to my ignition but will eventually get that corrected by ordering the correct pins from Yamaha through a friend and Ex co-worker for very little cost.

A big thanks to this forum and the knowledge base posted here. I can tell you just about anything pertaining to the CBR1100XX now after owning and blinging out a 2001 model that still is my pride and joy but the new FJR is all greek to me at this point in time.

Time to go riding today with clear skies and following winds.

Now that the hurricane is gone and got my power restored yesterday, I finally got busy installing Scott's helmet lock bracket and locks.My new 2016 ES was delivered to my house on Friday morning, the day before the hurricane arrived so did nothing until the day before yesterday. Sad to have to stare at a brand new bike and not be able to enjoy it for 7 days.Anyway remembered that I needed to key the helmet locks to match the ignition key so searched out these awesome, well written instructions. The pictures are what did it for me! I grew up on comic books!! Thank you.

The first of two locks was easy peasy with swapping 2 pins and worked perfect, installed on right side.

The second had 4 pins that did not retract completely. Swapped them around in all possible combinations and got it down to three that would not go flush. Gave up and made a run to my storage unit where all my tools are temporarily stored until I move into my new house next month. Picked up my dremel and a set of jewelers files to make needed adjustments. Rode the bike to the storage unit and when I opened the side case to put the Demel inside I discovered there is a spare side case lock set already keyed to the ignition. Surprise, surprise, (in my best Pyle imitation). Swapped the cylinder and the left side is complete.

Now I have a spare cylinder that is not keyed to my ignition but will eventually get that corrected by ordering the correct pins from Yamaha through a friend and Ex co-worker for very little cost.

A big thanks to this forum and the knowledge base posted here. I can tell you just about anything pertaining to the CBR1100XX now after owning and blinging out a 2001 model that still is my pride and joy but the new FJR is all greek to me at this point in time.

The extra lock cylinder provided by Yamaha is for a Yamaha Top Case, should you buy one later.

I gather you got the brackets / locks mounted up?

Now that the hurricane is gone and got my power restored yesterday, I finally got busy installing Scott's helmet lock bracket and locks.My new 2016 ES was delivered to my house on Friday morning, the day before the hurricane arrived so did nothing until the day before yesterday. Sad to have to stare at a brand new bike and not be able to enjoy it for 7 days.Anyway remembered that I needed to key the helmet locks to match the ignition key so searched out these awesome, well written instructions. The pictures are what did it for me! I grew up on comic books!! Thank you.

Can you confirm the spare Yamaha lock cylinder fit the Guardian helmet lock base??? It is my understanding the Yamaha top case lock cylinder is not compatible with the Guardian. Thanks.

You are correct, the cylinders are slightly different in how they lock in place.

I just swapped the brass tabs from the trunk cylinder to the helmet lock cylinder, worked like a champ.

Now if I get a trunk I will have to do some filling down myself or order some new sized tabs from Yamaha or a locksmith.

Can you confirm the spare Yamaha lock cylinder fit the Guardian helmet lock base??? It is my understanding the Yamaha top case lock cylinder is not compatible with the Guardian. Thanks.

The actual LOCKING "tabs/pins" are different between the Yamaha lock and the Helmet Guardian.

And I'm NOT referring to the key off set but the actual pins that go up and down with the key installed...

Re-keying is basically the same but those pins are NOT interchangeable between a Yamaha lock and an HG..

The actual LOCKING "tabs/pins" are different between the Yamaha lock and the Helmet Guardian.
And I'm NOT referring to the key off set but the actual pins that go up and down with the key installed...

Re-keying is basically the same but those pins are NOT interchangeable between a Yamaha lock and an HG..
I am not familiar with a Helmet Guardian. I ordered the Yamaha brand Helmet locks and the tabs swapped out easy peasy.

The outside looks exactly the same.

When I had my 04 FJR, I found HG's at Deals Gap, poked my Yamaha key thru the bag and found it was the same style key. Once home, I designed the Gen 1 helmet lock brackets and with time, the updated brackets, till present.

The HG is slightly tighter (key width wise) and again, there's a 50/50 shot at getting the correct offset.

Took me awhile to find the CORRECT Yamaha part # as they come in the opposite offset as well (been there, done that)... And that was for the replacement helmet lock stock for my 07 FZ6.

The Yamaha part # I put out is for an 2008 FZ6, which WILL fit the FJR key... No guessing about fitment, proper width of the key, etc...